Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fitting a Foot Rest/Dead Pedal - any recommendations?

Ben Noodle

Hi Guys

I've been driving my 2017 Auris for about 5 months now. Its Hybrid Automatic, I generally really like it a lot, but I'm noticing strain in my left foot, hanging over the break pedal.

I've looked on line for the possibility of a dead pedal foot rest, but cant find anything. Any of you guys fitted something like that, or know where I could  look?

Moved to the Auris club.

• Like 1

There should be a space where the clutch would be in a manual, in an auto it usually has a raised area

In an Auto you only drive with your right foot, the left does nothing - try adjusting your seat up and forward and adjust the back

2 hours ago, Ben Noodle said:

Hi Guys

I've been driving my 2017 Auris for about 5 months now. Its Hybrid Automatic, I generally really like it a lot, but I'm noticing strain in my left foot, hanging over the break pedal.

I've looked on line for the possibility of a dead pedal foot rest, but cant find anything. Any of you guys fitted something like that, or know where I could  look?

My 2014 Auris Excel hybrid has a built-in footrest - I'd assumed this was a standard fitting but maybe not?

It's tucked away on the left of the footwell - took me a while to notice it was there.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mcntosh said:

My 2014 Auris Excel hybrid has a built-in footrest - I'd assumed this was a standard fitting but maybe not?

It's tucked away on the left of the footwell - took me a while to notice it was there.

All cars has that, I am surprised actually anyone is looking for this or perhaps it’s something else. 👍

You wouldn't normally brake with your left foot.  On an automatic car with only two pedals you normally only use the right foot and drive as you would a geared car the left foot is redundant!

Usually the left foot simply rests on the floor.  Some cars do have a rest for the left foot (my old C5 did) and I did find it useful so I suppose some sort of wedge shaped piece of wood or metal fitted to the floor might be of use, even glued (permanent fitting) or fixed by good quality Velcro (removable fitting) might do just as long as it doesn't come loose and get in the way of the other foot or pedals.  How your insurance would rate it I have no idea!

Today in my Prius, I tried having right for over accelerator pedal, and left foot over brake. I didn’t do any braking with left foot.  Why?  It felt totally ridiculous, as if my left leg, ankle and foot were deformed.

The first time I drove an automatic car (Corolla/Auris petrol CVT) , my left foot decided it was now on braking duty. Unfortunately, it didn’t have quite the required finesse so I was bunny-hopping around the car rental garage, much to the amusement/alarm of the staff. Fortunately, normal service had resumed by the time I got out on the road.

A few months later, I went to test drive my Auris hybrid and did exactly the same thing. Nowadays my left foot is planted firmly on the footrest, out of harm’s way.

• Like 1

I use left foot braking when do manoeuvre on steep slopes and instead of pulling the handbrake I use my left foot to press and hold the brake pedal, then release slightly as it’s in manual car, works great and brings memories how nice is to have full control on your car with manual transmission. Otherwise 98% of the time my left foot is redundant and rest at its designed place and it’s super comfortable. Here is how looks on my car, is that what we talking about? 

2448084E-7FBE-4281-A440-925E50927D8A.jpeg

I have driven all sorts of cars over the year some nice and roomy others with no space and the pedals so close together you can't drive them in normal shoes

As i said above it's important to get the seat right for you, if the car has an adjustable steering wheel even better

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

I use left foot braking when do manoeuvre on steep slopes and instead of pulling the handbrake I use my left foot to press and hold the brake pedal, then release slightly as it’s in manual car, works great and brings memories how nice is to have full control on your car with manual transmission. Otherwise 98% of the time my left foot is redundant and rest at its designed place and it’s super comfortable. Here is how looks on my car, is that what we talking about? 

2448084E-7FBE-4281-A440-925E50927D8A.jpeg

That’s exactly it.

• Like 1

Honest John has always advocated left foot braking but it does take time to educate your left foot.  If you are brought up with automatics, as most Americans are then it probably makes some sense.  If you do use both feet, remember to press only one at a time 🙂

All the automatics I have drive have had a left foot rest but in my opinion none are very good.  It tends to be too far to the left and too narrow for comfort.  I think adding additional width and increasing its level to that of the pedals would make it more useful.    Not quite the same but I had a Polo (late 1970s) and the floor pan was not flat.  I added a plank of wood under the carpet.  It was so much more comfortable that I soon forgot about it.

Adding you own wedge must be done properly as the last thing you want is for it jamming under the brake pedal.