Do Not Sell My Personal Information

0W20 oil

SergoKD

Hello all.

I have Auris 1.33 petrol, and always change the oil myself and buy what is on offer. Just bought "Total 0W20 Ineo First" and noticed that it says designed for particulate filter.  Obviously I don't have such filter, any ideas of this oil is going to be bad idea?

Should have a list, long or short, printed on the container of the specification the oil is. Compare that with what spec Toyota list for your car.

The oil spec that Toyota specify is either API SL, SM, or SN - so this is what you should look for for a petrol or hybrid car.

I am having trouble finding this specs on the bottle. I attached pictures please have a look.

Thanks

_20210518_194737.png

IMG_20210518_195053_0.jpg

It's a diesel only oil. 

Second picture says ACEA C5. Just for reference, Auris diesel engines mostly had ACEA C2 recommended, as that was the standard when they were made.

As you can see below, you need API SL,SM grade, or SN, which came after 1st gen Auris was made, but should be just fine to use.

There's plenty of API SL/SM oil on the market anyways.

image.thumb.png.b8dc2a472e9a5df73dd086da5ce55969.png

Thank you all for your help. I think is safer to exchange it with the correct one, as you never know.

Cheers

Sergei, it’s ok buying whatever oil is on offer……….. as long it meets Toyota specification.  Move away from Toyota spec for your car and you could loose some performance or damage the engine.

Plenty of genuine Toyota 0w-20 motor oil to SN spec on eBay, plus other brands, Petronas is ok, just check the spec, but quality oil is not cheap, but neither are engine repairs.

• Like 1

True, point taken. It wasn't big price gap, just me been stupid. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I’ve just picked up a bargain from my local Wilko. 0W-20 fully synthetic oil. Its of the right spec and is suitable for my Auris hybrid. 🙂

(I only had diesel oil in the garage as I’ve driven a diesel for the last 7 years). A lucky find at a good price. 

6F25C2B6-6F1D-446E-94A7-765DBBAA9A4E.jpeg

EF15D2A6-377F-4BF2-B2C2-AF07FBCE3CF2.jpeg

AF27337E-8270-47DC-89C6-E45801BD10BD.jpeg

D0A3AE8B-4708-4095-99DF-35591DB903A8.jpeg

6AB52D08-9B33-4AF2-9E33-20FAB873AAE3.jpeg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DaddyBaddy said:

I’ve just picked up a bargain from my local Wilko

That is a good price at £17.50 for 5 litres equivalent. Manufactured March 21 too. I wonder why they've had to reduce to clear?

Not sure, but they’d got about 6 left. I was in the right place at the right time. 👍🏻

1 hour ago, mrpj said:

I wonder why they've had to reduce to clear?

It would seem they are rationalizing their stocked lines.  I can't really see 0W/20 oil selling into their normal 'customer base' at all - it's only fairly recently that even Halfords sell it, and even then not in the Petronas brand.

About a month ago, they had various 5w/40 semi-synth, and some other similar, going cheap.  If you could find one, one of the 5 litres packs was £1, as was the 2 litre and the 1 litre. These were showing as discounted on their website.

But Wilkos doesn't appear to do telephone stock checks and enquiries in the current situation.  Well, they didn't a month ago.

For the 'weird' viscosities (0w20, 0w16, 0w8) it's worth asking at your dealer - I got 5 litres of 0w20 for something like £38 for my old Mk2, where I'd only seen it for £60+ in other places at the time!

I'll have to see how much they sell 0w8 for, but I'm not expecting this Mk4 to burn such a ridiculous amount of oil as the Mk2 did so hopefully can just get a 1L top-up bottle!

On brand new cars buying an engine oil for top up is not necessary IMO, These cars if cover 10k miles a year or less will only need visit once a dealer for a service and they will change the oil for you. Oil difference between max and min is around a litre and that’s pretty much more than enough to cover any eventual consumption throughout the service interval. 

Funnily enough, in the past it was recommended that you keep an eye on the oil on a new car as they tended to use a bit of oil until they were run in. With the sort of tolerances that necessitate 0w8 I'm not expecting that here, but I'm damned well still going to check the oil levels with the same regularity I always do!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cyker said:

For the 'weird' viscosities (0w20, 0w16, 0w8) it's worth asking at your dealer - I got 5 litres of 0w20 for something like £38 for my old Mk2, where I'd only seen it for £60+ in other places at the time!

I'll have to see how much they sell 0w8 for, but I'm not expecting this Mk4 to burn such a ridiculous amount of oil as the Mk2 did so hopefully can just get a 1L top-up bottle!

You certainly can get a 1L bottle.

I got one from my Toyota Dealer back in March, it was expensive though but couldn't seem to get it elsewhere, about £25 i think

Yeaaa... I'm hoping I can get it for less than £25 for 1L!!!! But they have that exclusivity - As you say it's hard to source - Even Opie Oils didn't stock it last time I looked!

So far the car's used very little oil, just a tiny bit... not bad considering I have been hooning it around quite lot... :whistling: 

I suspect people keep thinking it's a GR, then are disappointed when they realise it's the hybrid, then are surprised when I shoot off :laugh:

I haven't had so much fun driving since my Mk1 D4D! :biggrin:

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Yeaaa... I'm hoping I can get it for less than £25 for 1L!!!! But they have that exclusivity - As you say it's hard to source - Even Opie oils didn't stock it last time I looked!

So far the car's used very little oil, just a tiny bit... not bad considering I have been hooning it around quite lot... :whistling: 

I suspect people keep thinking it's a GR, then are disappointed when they realise it's the hybrid, then are surprised when I shoot off :laugh:

I haven't had so much fun driving since my Mk1 D4D! :biggrin:

Just for top up in an emergency you can use 0w20, cheaper and widely available. Regular check ups are best for any car, I do open my bonnet at least once or twice a week. 👍

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Mikw said:

I got one from my Toyota Dealer back in March, it was expensive though but couldn't seem to get it elsewhere, about £25 i think

Around £20 for a 1 litre bottle on that well known auction site, almost £100 equivalent for 5 litre! The 5 litre 0W20 bottles of Toyota oil are now £40 there. I purchased 5 litre for £35, delivered about a month ago. Big increase.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1