Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The AA App

fullfathom5

Has anybody with Toyota Roadside Assistance used the AA App rather than the MyT one when they've had a breakdown? Thanks

From the welcome handbook, in the UK you're supposed to use one of the two phone numbers to request assistance rather than the app. 

12 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

From the welcome handbook, in the UK you're supposed to use one of the two phone numbers to request assistance rather than the app. 

I know but when I had a puncture one night a few months ago on an unnamed single track road in the middle of the Devon countryside the Toyota Assistance operator asked if I had the AA App so they could pinpoint my location.

I would have thought the what3words app, which pinpoints your location to a 3 metre square and is used by the AA and the emergency services, would be as good if not better.

33 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

I would have thought the what3words app, which pinpoints your location to a 3 metre square and is used by the AA and the emergency services, would be as good if not better.

I tried to provide the longitude and latitude but was told that their systems don't accept it! Good tip on what3words. Thanks.

The BBC had a report a few weeks ago on the fallibility of this app in accurately defining a location when there are many with similar-sounding names but miles apart - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-56901363

App developer noted: "A spokesperson for W3W said that other addressing systems, such as grid references or GPS co-ordinates, could also create "communication errors".

Android Auto isn't perfect either: I've had one experience (just one, about 5 years ago) of navigating somewhere I knew but being directed by AA to a place a good 20 miles in a different direction.

The lesson is no technology is infallible. This is the prime reason why my backup is an analogue road map book in the boot, replaced every few years. Just in case.