Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New RAV4 security

Rigsby

Awaiting delivery of my new Dynamic Hybrid, which I am really looking forward to.

With the theft of catalytic converters on the rise, particularly from hybrid vehicles, a few questions.

1. Does the RAV4 alarm system have a “tilt” sensor ? 
2. Is there any recommended devices to help prevent the thieves ? Cages etc

Also does the key have a motion sensor to prevent thieves from picking up the signal to enable remote access or do you keep your keys in a tin ?

im not being paranoid, but want to protect my property the best that I can.

Many thanks.

As I understand it the car has in interior sensor which is not what you want but else where says that heavy hail, impact or vibrations could set of the alarm?

I’ve read that one option with the key is to put it into Battery saver mode, a combination of the keys, after the car is locked.  It needs a key press to reactivate when you want to use the car.

this just my research as I await my car. Your not being paranoid just trying to protect your investment.

8 minutes ago, ernieb said:

As I understand it the car has in interior sensor which is not what you want but else where says that heavy hail, impact or vibrations could set of the alarm?

I’ve read that one option with the key is to put it into battery saver mode, a combination of the keys, after the car is locked.  It needs a key press to reactivate when you want to use the car.

this just my research as I await my car. Your not being paranoid just trying to protect your investment.

Thanks for the quick response, my current car has a tilt sensor (as my local tyre fitting centre found out) as most of the videos that I have seen regarding cat thefts, they tend to use a trolley jack, whilst this might not stop them, it would certainly draw some attention to them.

on my current car I specified keyless start but not keyless entry for the above reasons.

I’ve just checked out a “UK Full Release” paper that I found for the car I’m buying, PHEV model, which I guess will be the same for all the 5th generation RAV’s, it includes, door, tilt, glass breakage and motion detectors.

You could buy a RFI bag to put the keys in when away from the car or a tight fitting tin box as you suggested.

18 minutes ago, ernieb said:

I’ve just checked out a “UK Full Release” paper that I found for the car I’m buying, PHEV model, which I guess will be the same for all the 5th generation RAV’s, it includes, door, tilt, glass breakage and motion detectors.

You could buy a RFI bag to put the keys in when away from the car or a tight fitting tin box as you suggested.

Thanks, hopefully will have the tilt sensor, spare keys are kept in the safe so should be fine, will probably look to get a Faraday box / pouch.

Some manufacturers have started putting motion sensors in the key, so when they are idle they stop transmitting a signal.

I really think the manufacturers should install some sort of shield over the catalytic converter with a large number of security bolts that would add considerable time to any would be thieves.

3 minutes ago, ernieb said:

This a link to the Toyota mag page that addresses the catalytic converter security, I found it interesting.

https://mag.toyota.co.uk/catalytic-converter-theft-how-to-protect-your-car/

Thanks for the link, I suppose “every little helps” to pinch a tag line, but I’d be happier knowing that the manufacturers had made it more difficult for thieves to remove than covertly marking it.

It’s  not just the cost (which can be substantial) but the inconvenience 

@Rigsby, I thought the comment that Toyota had reduced the precious metals to make it very much less profitable for someone to nick them. As you say every little helps and I’m sure that the people taking them will know what cars give them the best returns.

2 minutes ago, ernieb said:

@Rigsby, I thought the comment that Toyota had reduced the precious metals to make it very much less profitable for someone to nick them. As you say every little helps and I’m sure that the people taking them will know what cars give them the best returns.

True, let’s hope that the message filters through to the low life.

I was under the impression that due to the position of the cat on the RAV, despite its additional ground clearance, it’s not as easy to steal from as other models.

From what I’ve seen it’s in a tunnel so is not hanging exposed under the car, I’d think that access with minimal ground clearance would make it’s removal a difficult job.

The remotes now come with motion sensors so you will not need a tin.

6664F6CC-46F4-4AEB-905A-42B94184C93D.png

Now if only they would re-design the previous generations of keyless fobs to do the same and offer them at a modest cost to customers who wish to mitigate relay attacks. It wouldn’t absolutely stop it, but it would certainly prevent your car being stolen while your keys are on the kitchen table.

5 minutes ago, robo1 said:

The remotes now come with motion sensors so you will not need a tin.

6664F6CC-46F4-4AEB-905A-42B94184C93D.png

That’s good news, one less thing to worry about.

3 hours ago, Avalon said:

I was under the impression that due to the position of the cat on the RAV, despite its additional ground clearance, it’s not as easy to steal from as other models.

3 hours ago, ernieb said:

From what I’ve seen it’s in a tunnel so is not hanging exposed under the car, I’d think that access with minimal ground clearance would make it’s removal a difficult job.

That’s good to know, along with the tilt sensor and reduced precious metals things are looking up.

I had planned to ask my dealer to remove the Hybrid badges on my RAV4 at the last service, maybe even replace them with D4D ones.

However, after looking through as many breakdowns of thefts by vehicle model as I could find, I couldn't see a single instance of a RAV4 being hit.  My service manager also said he'd not heard of a single instance either so for now I've shelved the idea.

If I had a Prius, Auris Hybrid or Corolla Hybrid I think I'd have it done (I believe a number of TOC members have done so), although on a Prius I suppose many thieves would know they're all Hybrids, but maybe some aren't that smart!

43 minutes ago, PeteB said:

I had planned to ask my dealer to remove the Hybrid badges on my RAV4 at the last service, maybe even replace them with D4D ones.

However, after looking through as many breakdowns of thefts by vehicle model as I could find, I couldn't see a single instance of a RAV4 being hit.  My service manager also said he'd not heard of a single instance either so for now I've shelved the idea.

If I had a Prius, Auris Hybrid or Corolla Hybrid I think I'd have it done (I believe a number of TOC members have done so), although on a Prius I suppose many thieves would know they're all Hybrids, but maybe some aren't that smart!

I'm confused Pete ... all 4.5s are hybrid, and diesels have cats ... am I missing something? 😉

18 minutes ago, philip42h said:

I'm confused Pete ... all 4.5s are hybrid, and diesels have cats ... am I missing something? 😉

I agree it wouldn't be fool proof, but not all cat thieves are rocket scientists!

Prior to the current 5th Gen RAV4, only some 4th Gens were Hybrids, and many older RAVs are diesels.

While some non Hybrids and some diesels are targeted (1), the statistics show that Hybrids are much sought after and Toyotas in particular.  Many news articles claim this is because the latter have higher quantities of the very expensive metals inside, more so with older models like 2nd Gen Prius.  Also, the Hybrid engines are cleaner and not running all the time, so the metals inside a Hybrid's cat are reported to be in better condition and therefore worth more.

(1) Generally, non Hybrids and diesels are targeted less frequently, but one exception seems to be Mercedes Sprinter diesel vans, where a smashed window adds to the inconvenience as the thieves need to pop the bonnet to access the cat apparently.

Diesel cats will be dirty, petrol cats cleaner, hybrid cats cleanest of all as they run on electric sometimes over 50% of the time.  So hybrid cars will be a first to go for and diesels the last.  Could all be sorted if police did the job we pay them for.