Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Android Car Play

Hadrian1

I appreciate there are a number of topics on this, but here's my tuppence worth, and from my experience with the 2021 Yaris.

If connecting to Android car play, you must be using V.10 of Android or better.

You need to use a USB (or USB C) data cable, a phone charging cable won't always work..

Usually the original cable supplied with one's phone is a data cable, so if you still have the original cable, use that.

5 hours ago, Hadrian1 said:

I appreciate there are a number of topics on this, but here's my tuppence worth, and from my experience with the 2021 Yaris.

If connecting to Android car play, you must be using V.10 of Android or better.

You need to use a USB (or USB C) data cable, a phone charging cable won't always work..

Sorry Hadrian1 ........but my new Yaris's Android auto connection works fine with my v9 Android smartphone

1 hour ago, AlfK said:

Sorry Hadrian1 ........but my new Yaris's Android auto connection works fine with my v9 Android smartphone

Correct. In fact, AA works on any Android phone from v6.0 (Kit-Kat) of the Android OS and on up...

6 hours ago, Hadrian1 said:

If connecting to Android car play, 

(pedant's hat on) It is "Android Auto" or "Apple Carplay" 😉😁

"Android car play" doesn't exist...

1 hour ago, CPN said:

(pedant's hat on) It is "Android Auto" or "Apple Carplay" 😉😁

"Android car play" doesn't exist...

You beat me to it!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Usually the original cable supplied with one's phone is a data cable, so if you still have the original cable, use that.

Not with my phone

2 hours ago, CPN said:

Correct. In fact, AA works on any Android phone from v6.0 (Kit-Kat) of the Android OS and on up...

No need to apologize  😄

2 hours ago, CPN said:

It wouldn't work on mine.

1 hour ago, Mikw said:

You beat me to it!

Yery good 😁

8 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

12 minutes ago, Hadrian1 said:

Not with my phone

Well it is the case with our three phones - different manufacturers, and phones dating from 2018, 2020, and 2021.

7 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Well it is the case with our three phones - different manufacturers, and phones dating from 2018, 2020, and 2021.

I  can only go by my experience, using my phone on a 2021 Yaris

1 hour ago, Hadrian1 said:

I  can only go by my experience, using my phone on a 2021 Yaris

You are aware that your phone will behave completely differently when using a cable connection as opposed to a bluetooth connection? (or when using both at the same time actually)

What is the make and model of your phone and what version of Android(?) is it running?

2 hours ago, CPN said:

You are aware that your phone will behave completely differently when using a cable connection as opposed to a Bluetooth connection? (or when using both at the same time actually)

What is the make and model of your phone and what version of Android(?) is it running?

Cubot C30  Android 10

On 5/20/2021 at 10:20 AM, Hadrian1 said:

Cubot C30  Android 10

Oh ok. Never heard of Cubot but on having a look, it would seem to be a pretty standard android phone but there could be compatibility issues depending on the implementation of the OS itself. Since I have no experience with this brand at all, I have no idea...

On 5/20/2021 at 10:20 AM, Hadrian1 said:

Cubot C30  Android 10

Just wish now someone had asked you what make/model phone you have.  Now you said Cubot, if know earlier I would have suggested lack of compatibility. It might be Android, it might be Andoid 10, but some of these more obscure phones (and I have respect for Cubot) do not do all that a more expensive phone would.....thats why they are cheaper.  You not going to get Samsung internals in a Cubot - though Cubot are good value for money.

The Cubot C30 is a fairly up to date phone - still on sale at Amazon - and I would say the original cable supplied with the phone is a data cable. When the phone is connecting to AA, does a message appear on the phone asking to agree to transfer files? If there is, agree.

3 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The Cubot C30 is a fairly up to date phone - still on sale at Amazon - and I would say the original cable supplied with the phone is a data cable. When the phone is connecting to AA, does a message appear on the phone asking to agree to transfer files? If there is, agree.

The reason for buying this phone was purely as I needed a phone which would give me Maps.  My previous phone wouldn't, so a friend came round with his Cubot and it connected straight away.   When I got the new phone I connected using the supplied lead. It connected then immediately disconnected, it did this several times. So I checked up on the Internet and read that charging leads often don't work. Luckily enough I had just bought a new camera and this came with a USB C lead. I tried with this lead, it connected and stayed connected.  So it would seem that the cheap and nasty lead which came with the phone is only any good for charging.  A USB or USB C data lead will have the USB logo printed on the plugs at either end of the lead. The phone one didn't. I realize it's a budget phone but it does everything I want it to, including connecting to the car.  I don't remember it asking to transfer files, it just worked once it connected, and it does that automatically.

Maybe the  Android thing on the 2021 model is different to that in previous models ?

Just to add, when I tried the phone cable on my camera, it didn't like it one little bit.

It may be just a duff cable - at the end of the day its down to cost/profit

5 hours ago, flash22 said:

It may be just a duff cable - at the end of the day its down to cost/profit

Yes, that's probably the case.