Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ECU Failure on NewYaris Hybrid After Only 20 days

Dfash01

Anyone had challenges with the ECU on a brand new Yaris Hybrid registered 1 May 2021

Car wouldnt start yesterday morning and after speaking to the Toyota garage called out the AA who couldnt fix the fault Car transported to garage on back of low loader and telephone from garage this morning to advise that new ECU ordered today and should be delivered next week

Garage claims never experienced this type of fault but I dont believe them 

Thinking of taking the matter up with Toyota but would like more examples of a failed ECU as I dont think they will react to my one off challenge

35 minutes ago, Dfash01 said:

Anyone had challenges with the ECU on a brand new Yaris Hybrid registered 1 May 2021

Car wouldnt start yesterday morning and after speaking to the Toyota garage called out the AA who couldnt fix the fault Car transported to garage on back of low loader and telephone from garage this morning to advise that new ECU ordered today and should be delivered next week

Thinking of taking the matter up with Toyota but would like more examples of a failed ECU as I dont think they will react to my one off challenge

A few owners of the new Yaris have had problems with all the warnings lights coming on and disabling the car, Toyota has a software fix for it, although some dealerships may not be aware of it. All modern vehicles are packed with technology. I have never heard of a complete ECU failure. Hopefully other new Yaris Hybrid owners will chime in with further information.

• Like 1

Its just one of those things, parts can fail as the car is new on the market it takes a while to fine tune them and find the bugs

ecu failure is uncommon tbh they are following what the computer tells them to do

There are known issues with the HV inverters failing

• Like 1

Hi, this is the first one ever that I heard of, at least no one has complained here before. There are some other issues registered as mentioned above and some with AC temperature but ECU failure is the first one. Although it’s a Toyota and reliability is at its highest some manufacturer defects on parts or workmanship is not totally excluded. Hopefully they will sorted out quickly for you. 
Good luck and please keep us updated. 👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dfash01 said:

What on earth for? Presumably it's being fixed under warranty, so what challenge do you want to offer?

Early failures of any devices are not unexpected. Just google "bathtub failure rate". As Tony says above, Toyotas are not 100% reliable - just close.

You only think it's the ECU because that's what the garage told you (main dealer?). Perhaps that's just their first guess.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dfash01 said:

It’s an electric device. In my experience in life electrics either fail very early or they last yonks. As stated, it’s a new model, there is bound to be some niggles.

Why don’t you believe what the garage has told you?

25 minutes ago, Catlover said:

It’s an electric device. In my experience in life electrics either fail very early or they last yonks. As stated, it’s a new model, there is bound to be some niggles.

Why don’t you believe what the garage has told you?

Electronic Joe ?

11 hours ago, bathtub tom said:

You only think it's the ECU because that's what the garage told you (main dealer?). Perhaps that's just their first guess.

No I dont think it is the ECU When the main dealer  garage advise that a new ECU component has been ordered to replace the defunct unit then I have assumed not guessed that they have identified the problem

I'll throw my two penneth into the ring...

At this point we do not know what the actual issue is. The dealer wishes to replace a whole assembly as a means of fixing the fault and that may or may not be the answer. Has a component within the ECU suffered a 'hard' failure? We have no way of knowing.

I am sure all of us have experienced electronic equipment that mis behaves whether it be a PC, a TV, a router etc etc. It is very very rare for there to be an actual component failure (what is called a 'hard' failure). By applying the same logic that these items refuse to respond to any user input we could diagnose that the main circuitry carrying out all the processing is 'faulty' and needs to be replaced. If that were done it would all work as it should.

The question now is whether the replaced part is actually faulty. What if we left it on the shelf a few days and then put it back. Only if the unit still has the same fault can we say with more confidence say that the original part is probably faulty.

So many electronic issues are caused by a some unforeseen and 'non valid' set of conditions that can inadvertently occur and the device simply locks up in an equally invalid state.

So what I am saying is that you have to let the dealer do as they have diagnosed. Only if you then have a similar issue occur after they have done this can you question the diagnosis and say that something else is going on.

The outcome will go one of two ways, either the car is fixed permanently of this issue or there is an underlying issue that will surface again if the same conditions occur again. If that happens then I think it would be reasonable to consider rejecting the vehicle as 'unsatisfactory' and not of the 'expected quality'.

• Like 2

When Toyota launch a new model all retailed examples are included in a programme called EDER ( Early detection Early resolution ) in affect any fault/failure has to be raised/reported to Toyota before any action is taken, once reported Toyota& the dealer work together to diagnose and repair the car failure to report the car will result in a rejection of any warranty repair claim submitted as Toyota's technical department once satisfied the repair is complete issue a one time authorisation code required by the dealer to submit an approved claim.

Any repair the OP's dealer is doing will have been agreed by Toyota and would seem unrelated to the "Multiple warning light" issues reported recently by other members, this by the way is an ABS control unit software issue which was notified to dealers on Friday as an un upcoming product recall fixed by a software update, affected owners will be notified via a DVSA recall letter in due course.

• Like 4

Dont think Toyota just want to shut you up by replacing the ECU. 

It's not a quick fix, the part it self is extremly expensive, and my quess is, that it takes a long time to replace, making pairing og connection to the car again. 

The ECU may not solve everything, but if the car has died completly, maybe it impossible to connect and read logs and errors? In that case they need a ECU just to get started. 

Update!!

Car repaired with new ECU installed  No reason given for its failure but the old unit will be sent away for an autopsy ! to see why it failed

Here endeth the saga

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dfash01 said:

Update!!

Car repaired with new ECU installed  No reason given for its failure but the old unit will be sent away for an autopsy ! to see why it failed

Here endeth the saga

Please keep us posted on any developments David.

The surprise failure of something brand new in 1912 had huge repercussions !

That is good news that it has been fixed and yes, I'd also be interested to hear any follow up news should it be forthcoming...

On 5/22/2021 at 11:41 PM, Devon Aygo said:

When Toyota launch a new model all retailed examples are included in a programme called EDER ( Early detection Early resolution ) in affect any fault/failure has to be raised/reported to Toyota before any action is taken, once reported Toyota& the dealer work together to diagnose and repair the car failure to report the car will result in a rejection of any warranty repair claim submitted as Toyota's technical department once satisfied the repair is complete issue a one time authorisation code required by the dealer to submit an approved claim.

Any repair the OP's dealer is doing will have been agreed by Toyota and would seem unrelated to the "Multiple warning light" issues reported recently by other members, this by the way is an ABS control unit software issue which was notified to dealers on Friday as an un upcoming product recall fixed by a software update, affected owners will be notified via a DVSA recall letter in due course.

Is there any way that owners can avoid this software issue whilst waiting for the recall? Just wondering if anything causes the problem to occur?