Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bad mechanic overfilled engine with oil

Biomecanoid

Hello,

On Tuesday I went to have my oil changed and obviously the mechanic was clueless as he sucked the oil from the top not draining it from the bottom and told me that nah I don't need a new oil filter.

On top of all that I realized that he also overfilled the engine with oil. Should I drain the excess oil ? I have an oil pump.

Thank you

Chris

oil.jpg

Take it back and get them to do it properly. 

Take out whatever is above the top indicator.

Poor mechanic, not changing an oil filter, not draining from the bottom, over filling.  How come you chose to go to that mechanic - cost?

Sounds like a Kwikfit job, Too much oil is as bad as not enough

8 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Take out whatever is above the top indicator.

Poor mechanic, not changing an oil filter, not draining from the bottom, over filling.  How come you chose to go to that mechanic - cost?

I can not find a proper mechanic where I live. I keep changing mechanics until I find a good one and I keep landing on people that just don't care. Believe it or not that guy was recommended by a friend, I guess the friend is clueless also.

I have even started doing very simple/basic maintenance myself. Toping up fluids, changing air/cabin filters etc

I would have changed the filter and oil myself but I park on the street and its not that safe to do it out in the open. 

On my previous service ( different mechanic ) apart from the usual maintenance I asked for the cabin filter to be changed and upon picking up the car I was told oh your car does not have a cabin filter. Needless to say I ordered the parts required online, did it myself. and also cleaned the airducts.

Its not the cost, its the fact that I can not find a guy to do proper work. 

Should I pump the oil out with the engine on or off ? does it matter ?

Engine off. 

15 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Engine off. 

Thanks

By how much do you guys think he overfilled the engine ?

Would get 200ml off first to see if it's just below the maximum line.

I heard of such things happening, some would even put 1L more, and destroyed the car's seals. Even if you pump out more than needed, you can just put it back again.

Thanks again. Also should I clean the pump after sucking out dirty oil ? should I run clean water thru it and then some clean oil to lubricate it ?

You're overthinking it mate. Just put the pump hose in, suck some oil out, check level, if needed, top it off.

We don't know what pump you have, but most probably you don't need to put anything in it. It's just a pump, creates vacuum, that pulls the fluid, that's it.

Put hose in, suck oil out, that simple 🙂

6 minutes ago, furtula said:

Put hose in, suck oil out, that simple 🙂

OK :thumbup:

Did you even buy a special Battery for the pump only? Usually you just clip it to the car main Battery.

And, i know it must even say in the pump manual for this, but you put the hose through the dipstick tube.

Since you want to be 137% prepared before doing it.

7 minutes ago, furtula said:

Did you even buy a special battery for the pump only? Usually you just clip it to the car main battery.

And, i know it must even say in the pump manual for this, but you put the hose through the dipstick tube.

Since you want to be 137% prepared before doing it.

I already had the Battery. its a 12v ups Battery. I have lots of stuff laying around lol

Even a bad diy mechanic knows to change the oil and filter never the oil on its own. What I would do is drive the car until it reaches the normal operating temperature. Drain off the oil at the sump, and replace it with new oil and new filter. The reason I would do this is that I couldn’t trust the “mechanic” had put in proper oil in the first place. Then you will know that the job has been done properly. Changing the oil and filter with the manufacturer recommended grade oil is the most important service for long engine life. Anyone who tells you different is not a worthy of the name “mechanic”.😡.

18 minutes ago, Bernard Foy said:

Even a bad diy mechanic knows to change the oil and filter never the oil on its own.

You've actually got that the wrong way round.  A good mechanic knows that the oil filter doesn't get changed at every oil change, it's normally every other oil change.

Check your service schedule and you'll see.

13 minutes ago, Stivino said:

You've actually got that the wrong way round.  A good mechanic knows that the oil filter doesn't get changed at every oil change, it's normally every other oil change.

I’m old school Stephen, and modern oils and modern engines have much better engineering than in my day. But changing both won’t have any ill effects.

I'm old school too and having worked in different main dealers over the years, none of them have recommended an oil filter at every oil change.

Having said that, because oil filters are cheap (at least to me as I'm buying trade) I always change them both at the same time.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Biomecanoid said:

By how much do you guys think he overfilled the engine ?

How do we know????
As you remove keep testing by looking at a clean dip stick.  If you remove too much you can always add a bit.  Just get to the top line or just a bit below.

7 hours ago, Stivino said:

For both the Auris hybrid and Prius hybrid the service book says change oil and filter for intermediate and full service. So that is every 10,000 miles oil and filter change. As these are hybrid cars the engine is not being used all the time, let’s say 65 % of the time. That means oil and filter changed at 6,500 miles max.
My concern now is, the Auris is due for a service, it will have 1,400 miles since last service due to lockdown etc. The car has done 1,400 miles, the engine, let’s say 1,000 miles. Will Mr. T change the oil and filter. I certainly hope so because the intermediate service is £190, the over 5 year discounted scheme has gone. If they not going to change oil/filter I want a discount, and a big discount (0w-20 oil is not cheap). 
Thinking about it, it seems a waste to replace oil/filter after only 1,000 miles running. The car is now 11 year old, running well, I have been persuading the wife to pay Mr T prices for service solely because if some big repair comes along MrT just might give a contribution.  But there again, might not.

Same thing with my Prius, due service in about 6 weeks time, car only moved about 2,400 miles. A bit more serious to have continuity with Mr T servicing due to it just coming up to 5 year old in September. But the same problem in my mind. Will it get oil/filter changed, it’s what I am paying for.

Hi as far as I can see the +five offer is still running my Gen 4 is due for a service in a months time and the dealer is honouring it I only had to show the e-mail showing I had applied