Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Bad mechanic overfilled engine with oil

Biomecanoid

Learn how to do it your self. Get a couple of stands to get the car of the ground. 

A gasket for the drain plug, a oil filter, good quality oil, and you are all set. 

Preheat the engine, oil drains more easily when hot.

Right now, your engine is overfilled with approx 0,7 liter. The oil looks old, probably due to old sludge in the bottom of the engine. It's not even certain, that the mechanic used the proper oil/viscosity. 

1 hour ago, ian rooke said:

Hi as far as I can see the +five offer is still running my Gen 4 is due for a service in a months time and the dealer is honouring it I only had to show the e-mail showing I had applied  

The 5+ Club ended 1st May 2021 - see 

Thanks for that information Frostyballs I applied on the 8th of April and received confirmation on the 9th I will have to find out whether the Toyota dealer will honour the deal or not I will phone them today and see   

5 hours ago, Catlover said:

How do we know????
As you remove keep testing by looking at a clean dip stick.  If you remove too much you can always add a bit.  Just get to the top line or just a bit below.

You can estimate by looking at the dipstick the Daihatsu takes about 3.6L of when full, so that look about 1L more to me.

Update:  Oil back to normal level, I took out quite a lot of oil.

oil.jpg

oil__.jpg

I've had a similar issue with my 06 Celica vvti myself.

I change the oil regularly but compromise by changing the oil filter every other change just cos it's easier, but I use a larger oil filter than standard.

(Btw does anyone know if the actual filter element in larger filters are actually bigger or is it just the casing/capacity of them?)

Last time I tried out one of those electric pumps above that are readily available. Did you or has anyone found if they're any good or not?

I don't know whether or not my engine wasn't hot enough, (I suppose they may work better with thinner oil) or whether there are baffles or something in my sump that prevent the tube from reaching the bottom (do dipstick s and dipstick holes actually reach the bottom of the sump on all cars?)

But when I refilled my engine with the prescribed amount I found it way overfilled, and had to re-pump some out.

Has anyone found these electric pumps effective or a better way to use them?

(Lets face it it's an absolute doddle for a garage to just pump the oil out and not change the filter too)

Hi why would you change the oil (£38) and leave almost a 1/2litre of dirty  oil in the filter seems short sighted to me 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ian rooke said:

Hi why would you change the oil (£38) and leave almost a 1/2litre of dirty  oil in the filter seems short sighted to me 

Because that's what the manufacturers recommend so, I can't see it being a problem.

• Like 1

Thanks Ian, I defo know what you're saying, I get and change the oil whenever it's cheap

on offer near me, sometimes the filters actually more than the oil, I've heard Honda have a similar policy and filtration improves to a point with usage!! So I'm with Stivino on this one, but I don't want to start another oil change world war debate, any other answers to the questions on my post above?

3 hours ago, gezhenry said:

I've had a similar issue with my 06 Celica vvti myself.

I change the oil regularly but compromise by changing the oil filter every other change just cos it's easier, but I use a larger oil filter than standard.

(Btw does anyone know if the actual filter element in larger filters are actually bigger or is it just the casing/capacity of them?)

Last time I tried out one of those electric pumps above that are readily available. Did you or has anyone found if they're any good or not?

I don't know whether or not my engine wasn't hot enough, (I suppose they may work better with thinner oil) or whether there are baffles or something in my sump that prevent the tube from reaching the bottom (do dipstick s and dipstick holes actually reach the bottom of the sump on all cars?)

But when I refilled my engine with the prescribed amount I found it way overfilled, and had to re-pump some out.

Has anyone found these electric pumps effective or a better way to use them?

(Lets face it it's an absolute doddle for a garage to just pump the oil out and not change the filter too)

Sucking the oil from above is not perfect as you can not suck all the oil or remove all the contaminants. That's why it is done from the bottom.

The only thing you can do is suck all the oil you can, then refill about 1/3 or the engine with oil run the engine for 5 min and suck the remaining oil. That way you will get more crud out but you waste a bit of oil.

Its not the pumps fault, its that it is not the proper way to do it

Considering the price of an oil filter, if you are draining the oil via sump plug, then why not change it? 

It's no secret that manufacturers are stretching the oil changing intervals justifying it saying oil has better quality now, etc.

I personally tend to change it every 6k miles, this year i changed it at 7k miles, and the oil was quite dark.  I'm not saying it would not do it job for new few months, but a new oil would do it much better.

Again, considering the price of oil, and oil filter, and taking into account one changes it himself, i would rather do the 6k interval, then the recommended one.

Also, as some said, pump is not ideal, but sadly it's how most modern places do it. Not the same as having the car drain for 10 minutes (while warm), then sticking a hose that will suck out most of the oil, but not the bottom crud.

43 minutes ago, furtula said:

justifying it saying oil has better quality now, etc.

They are not just "saying" it, they have obviously done the scientific tests so that they can make the claims.

I believe JLR are now doing 20,000 mile intervals and some Renaults 25,000.

Therefore, 6,000 mile oil and filter changes is a bit OTT.

As i said, considering the price of oil + filter, and having in mind one does the job himself, it's a pretty cheap maintenance. 

Manufacturers are forced to prolong service intervals due to competition and fight for profit. OTT would be doing American style oil changes every 3k miles or less.

If you take out the oil at some 7k miles, and it's nasty, will you really cheap out and say, nah, it's gonna be fine for next few months?

Poor maintenance makes for expensive repairs.

I had a coworker who put one of those long lasting oils in his car, that should be good for 20k miles, looked like raw oil after some 15k miles.

I think I'll put my faith in the recommendations of the oil companies and car manufacterers.  After all, they have the top scientists working for them to ensure that their products are safe and, their products are tested to destruction before going on the market.

I agree, I suppose the 're s no exact right or wrong answer it's basically cost against extending engine life, I try and use a larger decent quality filter to compensate in covering 2 oil changes as a compromise.

I'm all after looking after my car but like has been said if you take the approach of changing oil and filter in this country every 3k miles at perhaps upto £50 a time you'd have spent £500 in maybe 2yrs/30k miles, which for me is the price of an engine change anyway.

Another thing I don't quite get is if you have to top up your engine oil a bit between changes, I know it's not completely changing it and flushing out contaminents, but it is still replenishing some of the used additives up.

16 hours ago, gezhenry said:

I agree, I suppose the 're s no exact right or wrong answer it's basically cost against extending engine life, I try and use a larger decent quality filter to compensate in covering 2 oil changes as a compromise.

I'm all after looking after my car but like has been said if you take the approach of changing oil and filter in this country every 3k miles at perhaps upto £50 a time you'd have spent £500 in maybe 2yrs/30k miles, which for me is the price of an engine change anyway.

Another thing I don't quite get is if you have to top up your engine oil a bit between changes, I know it's not completely changing it and flushing out contaminents, but it is still replenishing some of the used additives up.

An engine does not cost just £500 and on top of that you have labor + the quality of the replacement job might not be as good and the car will not be the same any more

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links