Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Touring Sport hybrid - rear parcel shelf cover

Akosh

Hello everyone,

Am a newbie in this forum, so please do let me know if this is a repeat question. 

I just bought a 19 reg Corolla hybrid Touring Sports and in the dealership i did not check how the rear parcel shelf cover 'covers' the contents of the boot when viewed from the boot door. 

I was shocked to see that about half of the contents is visible from the outside, which does not help. 

I am looking for a solution so that people cannot look into the back of the boot and see the contents of it. 

Has anyone figured out a solution for this? I am sure i am not the first one raising this problem.

Thanks!

I think you may have a part missing. Mine has a removable curved shelf/cover which slots in to the rear hatch. You cannot see anything in the rear of the car through the window.

Where is the gap in coverage - immediately behind the rear seats when the backs are upright?

Does yours have the partition net? When installed in the rear position immediately behind the rear seat backs, this, I think, should fill in any gap. 

If you only have the abbreviated owners manual, you can download the full manual from My Toyota. Have a look at pages 580-582.

2 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Where is the gap in coverage - immediately behind the rear seats when the backs are upright?

Does yours have the partition net? When installed in the rear position immediately behind the rear seat backs, this, I think, should fill in any gap. 

If you only have the abbreviated owners manual, you can download the full manual from My Toyota. Have a look at pages 580-582.

Hello,

Nope, what i mean is that when I pull out the rear parcel shelf cover, it slots into its place. However even at full length, i can easily see what is inside the boot when standing at the back/boot door, looking inside through the back window.

What I am looking for is a solution to cover the contents of the boot so that it is not visible for anyone looking from the back window into the car. 

14 minutes ago, Swanthecat said:

I think you may have a part missing. Mine has a removable curved shelf/cover which slots in to the rear hatch. You cannot see anything in the rear of the car through the window.

That sadly is perfectly possible. Would you mind taking a pic of your shelf cover in place? I now wonder what I have been given from the dealership.

You could go back to the dealership, probably have another TS on the premises somewhere. Sounds like you will be going back to the dealership with the query anyway, so why delay.

There is a picture of this shelf/cover on page 527 of my downloaded handbook. It is a curved shelf which matches the contours of the rear hatch and has three lugs which push into slots on the hatch itself

• Like 1

Yeah, there are two parts shelf cover one is the standard one that is cover from rear seats towards the hatch and the second one is attached to the hatch itself, you have this one missing., most likely removed by the previous owner for some reason. 

£302... I’ll take more care of mine, Didn’t realise it was made of unicorn horn

Thanks guys for all the helpful responses, I will call the dealership to get me one of these, they indeed forgot to include or as a minimum forgot to highlight that it was missing. I just cannot justify spending £300 on a piece of badly designed plastic cover. 

Why is it a badly designed piece of plastic?

I did say ignore the price, it was a random link from Google images - i would get a price from a main stealer

13 hours ago, Akosh said:

I just cannot justify spending £300 on a piece of badly designed plastic cover. 

How do you know it is badly designed if you don't have it. Nonsense!

At the end of the day, you should have checked the car met your needs when you purchased it.

The idea of second shelf cover is bad itself as obviously one more thing to loose., if the car was previously used as phv very likely the driver has misplaced the parcel cover while loading airport bags or any other luggage. The cars that has one cover only are less likely to have this problem. There will be more like this examples in the future for sure. This second cover sticks out of the rear door when you opened, I have no Corolla but noticed that on videos been watching about the car, not sure how securely is mounted to the door, is there possibility been taken away from strong winds while door been open?  Other Corolla ts owners can share experience 👍

5 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

you should have checked the car met your needs when you purchased it.

Really?

So when we buy a nearly new car we should do an extensive check to make sure that every originally fitted piece of equipment is present? It would have been easy to miss the fact that this is a 2 piece cover.

This is a nearly new car from a dealership - All the standard fixtures should be present and checked by the dealership before the car is handed over to the customer. 

Especially in the current Covid climate, not all customers want to spend an significant amount of time checking a car over before purchasing. 

The dealership will hopefully remedy the issue for the Akos. 

Yes....a luggage cover isn't a small piece of equipment and whether the car is new or used, the purchaser should check it has the features they need. Basically common sense.

A car that has "the features they need" or parts of the car that should be there, but are missing, are two completely different things. 

Advice for anyone buying a new or used car in the future - make sure that every single component that was originally fitted is still there!

Common sense after all . . . 

I would agree with HS, it is a dealer responsibility to check and ensure the car for sale meets the standard equipment of the make and model, especially if it’s a Toyota approved one., how would you know that there are 2 peace shelf cover if you haven’t got the exact same model before or been crazy like me and watch every single video about Corolla!? The thing is that the dealer should be responsible for the missing part and provide one at their own expense. This is same as the car you are buying comes with only half rear seat., buyer trust the seller and pays them dealer price exactly for that reason, otherwise you can just get one from an auction at much cheaper price and whatever comes take it. Dealer at fault, not the buyer IMO and he has rights to request a replacement cover. 
Good luck and hopefully with positive outcome for the op. 

• Like 1

To be fair there is a lot of removable trim and options/features in the back of the TS, in addition to the load cover in question (which is very securely fitted by the way) you have two plastic panels either side of the load floor which make two small compartments when in place. The main retractable cover removes plus then the bar where the pull out safety net is fitted also can be removed or repositioned on the back of the seats if folded down. If I have my seats folded flat to accommodate my dogs, I even remove the protective boot liner as it has a lip at the front edge. With so many things which can be taken out it is no surprise that some might not get put back

Have a look under the boot floor to see if it's been chucked in with the spare wheel.

Thanks for the info and opinions guys. 

I went for a Toyota Approved car from a dealership to have the peace of mind that the car has all parts expected with the trim or at least the absence of something would be pointed out. I have not owned a Toyota Corolla or estate before but based on the pics, reviews and test drive it seemed a really good choice. And it really is a smart 'little' car. Only this piece appears to be missing. 

Perhaps I should have watched loads of videos just like TonyHSD, then I would have picked up that it was missing. Anyway, I called the dealership, but the dealer I dealt with was not in - fingers crossed for tomorrow.

And Frosty, I get your point, but i did not put the boot full as it would be at home and check how much of it is visible. The retractable cover was up and I tested that it works. However it just did not occur to me that there would be another piece missing. 

As said, fingers crossed for tomorrow with the dealership. At least yesterday evening i found a nearby Corolla TS which has this part and saw in real life. 

• Like 1

On 5/25/2021 at 8:25 PM, RabButler said:

Have a look under the boot floor to see if it's been chucked in with the spare wheel.

Cheers for the tip, no luck sadly, it was not in there.

• 7 months later...

This is not a reply to the original poster, but more an additional question. I also have the 2.00 corolla tourer hybrid. Just removed the luggage cover, is there any place to store this (in the car -  as opposed to the garden shed or spare bedroom?) 

I have the 1.8 TS with space saver spare and there's tons of room for the main cover, the bit that clips on the tailgate and the cargo net as well, under the boot floor.