Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Braking with a creaky sound

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Hi Guys, 

Yet another issue lol,

Since we changed the front wheel bearings at the garage not so long ago, I've noticed a creaky sound when braking, sounds a bit like a rattle, starts from very light pressure and gets deeper the harder you brake. 

Now I recall the mechanic stating one of my slider pins was slightly jammed, seizing, he managed to free it and I think he regreased it, and it seemed okay at the time.

Could it be that I need new slider pins? I'm hoping not a new calliper!

It brakes perfectly fine otherwise, just that creaky springy sound that's annoying.

I have to keep my baby safely on the Rd due to circumstances changing and moving home we can't afford to invest in a new car sadly.

Video attached, the sound can just about be heard at about 28 seconds onwards.

Look forward to some help guys.

Check out the linkages on the brakes pedal. Do you get the same creaking sounds by pressing on the brake when the engine is not running and the car stationary?.

6 hours ago, Bernard Foy said:

Check out the linkages on the brakes pedal. Do you get the same creaking sounds by pressing on the brake when the engine is not running and the car stationary?.

Hi Bernard...

Good question. I'll check that tomorrow. I'm almost certain that it does not.

Only when the car is moving.

P.s

There's no judder in braking at all. Its smooth. And its responsive. Its just that creaky rattle that can be heard 

Hi, to me sounds more like suspension noise than brakes itself. Just my thoughts. 👍

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi, to me sounds more like suspension noise than brakes itself. Just my thoughts. 👍

Tony, I've literally just been to visit my mechanic and then read your response and he said the same thing and I think the same too now, its not the brakes, its something in the suspension, oh my dear, what could it be guys?

Its getting louder.

And you can hear it outside. I did as he drove by me today.

So how do I test or check for the culprit part?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Tony, I've literally just been to visit my mechanic and then read your response and he said the same thing and I think the same too now, its not the brakes, its something in the suspension, oh my dear, what could it be guys?

Its getting louder.

And you can hear it outside. I did as he drove by me today.

So how do I test or check for the culprit part?

Hi Sam.
You can just keep driving  your car as usual and get it checked by your mechanic or yourself for worn out bushes or stabiliser bar links, shock absorbers top mounts and bearings. , just to be on the safe side. If everything is ok wait until the problem becomes more obvious, louder knocks or play and will be easier to find out what exactly needs to be changed. Older cars always have some sounds and little knocks, that’s why they are old 😊👍

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi Sam.
You can just keep driving  your car as usual and get it checked by your mechanic or yourself for worn out bushes or stabiliser bar links, shock absorbers top mounts and bearings. , just to be on the safe side. If everything is ok wait until the problem becomes more obvious, louder knocks or play and will be easier to find out what exactly needs to be changed. Older cars always have some sounds and little knocks, that’s why they are old 😊👍

Lol, as they say, old is gold!

My son Adam just made a comment, he said mum...I recon it is the brakes because it only makes that old bed creaky sound when you brake, if it was suspension it'd do it as you drive over humps etc.

He has a point.

I'm back to thinking brake related.

I might just strip it all down, grease, refit and go from there.

1 hour ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

it only makes that old bed creaky sound when you brake, if it was suspension it'd do it as you drive over humps etc.

Not necessarily, when you brake it puts a forward force onto the suspension not an up/down force like when you go over humps, so it could still be suspension.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

Not necessarily, when you brake it puts a forward force onto the suspension not an up/down force like when you go over humps, so it could still be suspension.

Aghhhhhh.

I'm gona sleep on it.

Cars! Can't live with them..and can't live without them!! Husbands too!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Aghhhhhh.

I'm gona sleep on it.

Cars! Can't live with them..and can't live without them!! Husbands too!

Careful Sam, don’t shoot yourself in the foot and alienate all those husbands on the forum who are giving you sound advice 🤣😂🤭.

4 hours ago, Bernard Foy said:

Careful Sam, don’t shoot yourself in the foot and alienate all those husbands on the forum who are giving you sound advice 🤣😂🤭.

Thats true!

All good guys!

In a empty car park/road do a few hard emergency stops, it sounds like a pad is hanging up after braking

16 hours ago, flash22 said:

In a empty car park/road do a few hard emergency stops, it sounds like a pad is hanging up after braking

Tried this yesterday...its interesting, it sort of clears it up and then returns after a few more brakes!

Intend to strip it all down this weekend, check things over, grease a few bits and see how it goes, maybe sand the pads down a bit, I recon when the changed the front wheel bearings a few weeks back they must've failed to seat things properly 

Morning All.

Update. I found the source of the creaky sound.

Shockingly it was caused by the fact that the front drivers wheel nuts weren't torqued, they were all literally hand tight if that even! 

I found this when I came to take the wheel off in prep for inspection. 

Its been that way since we had the gearbox replaced. 

I am most grateful that it didn't cause any accidents or damage to the vehicle.

Once torqued up the sound has disappeared.

I dont know what else to say.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Shockingly it was caused by the fact that the front drivers wheel nuts weren't torqued, they were all literally hand tight if that even! 

About April last year I put my summer wheels back on my C1 and torqued them all up to 100Nm, made several long trips over the next month with no noises then about a month later on a short shopping trip got some creaking from the left front and suspected the wheel bearing. On jacking up the left front I found, like you, that the bolts were not even hand tight - but they had been torqued correctly about 2 months earlier?

That will do it, it will make the disk wobble just enough, it may be the bearings bedding in - i would also check the hub nuts as well

13 hours ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Morning All.

Update. I found the source of the creaky sound.

I found this when I came to take the wheel off in prep for inspection. 

Its been that way since we had the gearbox replaced. 

I am most grateful that it didn't cause any accidents or damage to the vehicle.

Once torqued up the sound has disappeared.

I dont know what else to say.

Lol, your mechanic should click done each time he torque the wheel nuts 🔩  , they should be dry fit too, no any grease on them. , I have seen people are going crazy with grease around that area, wheel nuts, brake discs, pads and hubs., all that causes nothing but trouble 👍

• 4 months later...

Hi i have this same issue in my Aygo, i had my brake discs, pads, and a wheel bearing done about a month or so ago and the noise in your car sounds the exact same as mine and becomes more apparent when coming to a halt. Do you think that the issue could be the torque in my wheel nuts too?:)

2 hours ago, vsharpe1 said:

Hi i have this same issue in my Aygo, i had my brake discs, pads, and a wheel bearing done about a month or so ago and the noise in your car sounds the exact same as mine and becomes more apparent when coming to a halt. Do you think that the issue could be the torque in my wheel nuts too?:)

Hi there, sorry to read about your issue, gosh these Aygos drive you insane but we live them. 

Do you think the continued sound in you're case maybe coming from the opposite side bearing?

It could be that the bearing is settling in or it could be that there is an issue in the way they installed it, I've read crazy scenarios re mechanics etc forcing these bearings in to point of short life results. 

I would do what I did to rule it out, jack up front end on axles...5th gear...do the roll test..and listen out for the sound...Best thing!