Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Keyfob or inside door button locks but not unlock - Toyota Avensis '10

Craigyboy1978

Hi All,

I have a bit of a strange problem.  The keyfob or lock button (on the drivers door) will lock all doors but it will not unlock any door.  I have changed the keyfob Battery but it makes no difference (I didn't think it would as the button inside the car doesn't work either).  You can hear it trying to do something i.e first press will remove the deadlock but a second press doesn't actually unlock (although you can hear a sound as if it has).  The car Battery had been flat for a very long time, is it just a setting or something?

Any help would be appreciated.

21 hours ago, Craigyboy1978 said:

Hi All,

I have a bit of a strange problem.  The keyfob or lock button (on the drivers door) will lock all doors but it will not unlock any door.  I have changed the keyfob battery but it makes no difference (I didn't think it would as the button inside the car doesn't work either).  You can hear it trying to do something i.e first press will remove the deadlock but a second press doesn't actually unlock (although you can hear a sound as if it has).  The car battery had been flat for a very long time, is it just a setting or something?

Any help would be appreciated.

What is the current state of the car Battery? I have learnt from owning my car, the Battery must be in good condition. I have not had your lock issue, but a suspect car Battery can throw up all sorts of issues and faults. The other issue is the main locking controller and the connections. I would have diagnostics (with a battery booster) done to check the lock function. 

Do the doors lock/unlock by using the key in the door lock ? Any water leaks or musty smell in the car ?

Hi Both,

Thanks for your replies..

The Battery is brand new as the car had sat on a drive for 2 years before I got my hands on it so I don't believe its a power issue.

As for a musty smell, yes there was.  Again this is because it had been sat unused for a couple of years.  I get exactly the same problem if i use the keyfob or if I press the button on the drivers door.  It will lock, deadlock, unlock the deadlock but will not then fully unlock.  I can hear the motor doing something but it is very feint.

Could be bad door actuators, but highly unlikely that it's all of them. Maybe the connection is rusty, and it's having issue delivering enough.  power, or maybe one of the actuators is bad, and taking more power to do anything, that the rest are struggling. Does it make any difference if car is running?

Can you try to manually unlock all doors, except 1, then try the fob button, see if it unlocks properly.

• Like 1

Hi Furtula,

I just tried your suggestions but no joy.  Having the engine running made no difference and i tried leaving 1 door locked (I tried them all, 1 at a time) and it still wouldn't unlock.  I can hear it trying and it even sounds like it has but nothing.

Thank you for your suggestions

Does the interior light work as it should ?

i would by spraying out the latches/mechanisms and relube them (do the hinges and check straps while you're at it)

From what i saw, the actuator has a small dc motor with a worm gear, operating the lock. Kind hard to have all 4 seize, or break. When i tries to unlock, and you check the manual lock switch on the door, does it move?

Maybe somehow all 4 got out of sync, so when new Battery was plugged in, they were always a few teeth short of ulocking, but how they lock then...

I would take one door cover apart, and sit inside the car, check what it actually does when you try to unlock, is there some more free play in cable, or in general, is it hard to move the cable, maybe that needs lubrication.

Hi All,

I have the exact same problem on my Toyota Avensis 2012 T2.

The key fob only locks all the doors but does not unlock any. I can hear an unlock sound from the Car when press the unlock button on the fob but nothing actually happens. So I have to manually unlock the Driver Door and this does not unlock any other door (not sure of this part is normal).

I have changed the Key Fob Battery CR2016 but still no joy!

6 hours ago, Waqs said:

Hi All,

The key fob only locks all the doors but does not unlock any. I can hear an unlock sound from the Car when press the unlock button on the fob but nothing actually happens. So I have to manually unlock the Driver Door and this does not unlock any other door (not sure of this part is normal).

I have changed the Key Fob battery CR2016 but still no joy!

How did this happen, just suddenly one day?  The manual unlock button on the door moves all the way when it tries to unlock, or is there some free play?

If you check the video below, you can see some contacts telling the actuator door is locked/unlocked. 

Could be the contacts have issues.  Or there is so much patina accumulated over time, that they had bad contact.

I had similar issue once, i cleared the grease, and reapplied it (grease prevents patina, and helps keep contacts in good shape), and worked fine afterwards.

7 hours ago, Waqs said:

Hi All,

I have changed the Key Fob battery CR2016 but still no joy!

Hi,

Yes this is the exact same issue.  Im going to try the suggestions by furtula and flash22 at the weekend (Thanks for the suggestions guys, much appreciated) and I'll let you know if I have any luck resolving the problem.

flash22, yes the interior lights are working perfectly.

It's possible that the damp has got into the lock module or the unlock relay has failed - the door lock relay is behind the coin box - that is something i will have to look up - also check the fuses ECU-B and Door No.2 in the under bonnet fuse box

the lock/unlock switch on the door only works with all the doors closed

Coin box by the drivers right knee

497068803_T27doorlockrelay.thumb.jpg.fd74ab11f0c1c154e6afce8ad845cd8f.jpg

Toyota part number 85970-20020

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

It's possible that the damp has got into the lock module or the unlock relay has failed - the door lock relay is behind the coin box - that is something i will have to look up - also check the fuses ECU-B and Door No.2 in the under bonnet fuse box

the lock/unlock switch on the door only works with all the doors closed

Thanks for the advice.  Ive already checked the Door No2 fuse and it looks absolutely fine, however, if i remove it i get the same problem (I would expect for it to stop altogether?).  I'll certainly check the lock/unlock switch 

When trying to unlock via the switch on the door, I can actually hear a relay behind the glove box but then nothing.

Because it clicks doesn't mean its working correctly - i will have to look at the wiring diagrams

edit. i take it you have checked the 25A door fuse and 10A ECU-B - looking at the wiring diagram it all points to the double lock relay/module

• Like 1

Ive checked the door fuse but not the ECU-B fuse.  Looking at the manual, if this had blown, wouldn't some other systems also be failing?  Either way, thanks once again and I'll check it after work