Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Have I got a part missing?

Thomas76

Hello to all the Yaris owners out there. 
I was wondering if you could please help me. I’ve got a 2014 Yaris sport and was wondering if I had a pipe missing from my air intake system? Please see attached photos 

A15C15B6-53D5-4879-B2B0-07BD22115EC7.thumb.jpeg.4a1929c3f8cd6e3d5efcfba20fe1189d.jpeg

96140385-53DD-4FD1-A1A4-8A952362375A.jpeg

3997055C-59EF-4C05-BF50-7CB34BA12746.jpeg

Looks exactly the same as mine, the air filter inlet pipe.

• Thanks 1

Its how is meant to be, it's in that location so in pulls in the warm air from the engine bay all in the name of emmissions

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, bathtub tom said:

Looks exactly the same as mine, the air filter inlet pipe.

Ditto.

I wonder which bright spark decided the engine air filter location?

3 hours ago, mrpj said:

Ditto.

I have seen worse, they are designed for production not servicing

5 hours ago, mrpj said:

Ditto.

What’s wrong with it. If it’s meant to pull in warm air from the engine it’s job done. Does it bother you whilst driving the car.

Why would it need a warm air from the engine?! I think this is wrong and perhaps it’s not designed for that in mind., usually ice needs oxygen rich air (colder air) for better fuel burning., better burning equals more power and less emissions., I believe that’s the reason for inter cooler on turbo engines. I also had my best fuel consumption recorded in negative temperatures after long drives at nights. The biggest worry about air intake should be any possibility of water been sucked and destroyed engine, anything else comes as not that important to me. Toyota seems to be doing well in these terms. Love to watch that channel 👌😉

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Catlover said:

If it’s meant to pull in warm air from the engine it’s job done.

TonyHSD is correct stating that the engine has better functionality with cold air. I'm sure most people will have seen on other makes and models that there can be pipework which directs cold air towards the air filter / throttle body. 

The location of the air inlet pipe of the Yaris above is an acceptable position. There will be some cold air generated from the drive belts and alternator as they are in close proximity. It is also situated in a relatively open space and not surrounded by excessive engine heat. 

Once you're on the move, 30MPH or so, I would imagine the amount of air coming through the engine compartment would near as dammit ambient temperature and would have no effect on running. Stationary, under bonnet temperature would rise and you'd be sucking warm air, but then it wouldn't matter.

I don't think you need warmed inlet air, that was only necessary to prevent carburettor icing. I've never suffered the equivalent of carburettor icing in a fuel injected car and can't imagine it happening with direct injection (just coked up inlet valves). I suppose it would be possible with port injection, but unlikely.

Colder air is denser so is harder to compress - because race car, warm air requires about same amount of fuel but uses more air making the engine more efficient, and it lowers emissions by reducing the resistance in the engine this reduces the top end power what is compensated for by the dual VVTi

connection between brain and fingers isn't to good today 🤔

18 hours ago, Catlover said:

What’s wrong with it. If it’s meant to pull in warm air from the engine it’s job done. Does it bother you whilst driving the car.

The filter, not the intake Joe("engine air filter"). It's under the scuttle. Remove plastic engine cover, release two clips, slide housing cover to the left to unhook from right. Lift left side of cover and there's JUST enough gap to change the filter element by sliding it out.

Whether for production or not it's still not very bright! Other car designers seem to find an easier access location.

I've watched a couple of those Rufford Ford (sounds like a car dealer!)videos Tony. Those I watched seemed to show that a certain German make of car were more prone to pooping their pants from either hydrolock or drowned electrics.:laugh:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mrpj said:

I've watched a couple of those Rufford Ford (sounds like a car dealer!)videos Tony. Those I watched seemed to show that a certain German make of car were more prone to pooping their pants from either hydrolock or drowned electrics.:laugh:

coupled with the idiocy of the drivers and the location of the air-intake.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, john p williams said:

coupled with the idiocy of the drivers and the location of the air-intake.

Exactly. Some drivers of that German make have certainly earned the idiocy description.

The biggest recall in history has just been announced by that German manufacturer. There seems to be a serious issue with non functioning indicators!

• Haha 1

I remember a car I owned, years ago, can't recall which, where the air intake was moveable. In winter, rotate to near the exhaust manifold and in summer rotate forwards for cooler air.

8 minutes ago, mrpj said:

I remember a car I owned, years ago, can't recall which, where the air intake was moveable. In winter, rotate to near the exhaust manifold and in summer rotate forwards for cooler air.

That’s interesting, usually the egr in modern cars provides hot air with exhaust gases which is also cooled via the egr cooler then enter the intake manifold for a second burn. Hotter air intake perhaps lower the amount of fuel and emissions to some extent?,. The nitro system on the other hand does provide more oxygen, colder air and more fuel can be burned for extra power. No argument though, I am not an ice engineer 😉👍

2 hours ago, mrpj said:

I had cars that had a thermostatic flap to do that automatically. One pulled intake over the exhaust manifold when the air was cold.

48 minutes ago, MikeSh said:

I had cars that had a thermostatic flap to do that automatically. One pulled intake over the exhaust manifold when the air was cold.

Cor! You must be as old as me!

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

in modern cars

It was a long way from being a modern car Tony! I also remember that "flap" arrangement that Mike refers to.

Those were the days.:rolleyes:

17 hours ago, bathtub tom said:

Cor! You must be as old as me!

I resemble that remark too.:laugh:

Winter setting, next to exhaust manifold. Summer rotate filter assembly for cooler air.

air intake resized.jpg

• Like 1

That was when cars still had carburators. To prevent them icing up and stall the engine in winter, you moved the air intake over the manifold by the first of November.  In April it could goback to "Summer".

Uh oooh .... 😒