Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota safetysense braking

loz8

anybody have this braking? what do you think of it?.

Not heard of the term, what does it do?

What do you think of it?

if I have it right,brakes before contact ,if you havn't . some manufactures have it refined to include soft objects[people]

So, it’s the car emergency braking before it hits something.  If that right I have found it useful. one occasion I was in slow moving traffic, approx 10mph, and there is always one who tries to sneak in, this time from the left. The car braked, big red stop on the screen, and saved damage to both cars. My foot had only just reached the pedal by the time the car had stopped.

What about you.? How do you find it?

Hi as a safety system very good, if like me your garage is only 75mm longer than the car essential 

31 minutes ago, ian rooke said:

Hi as a safety system very good, if like me your garage is only 75mm longer than the car essential 

Position car in garage, attach tennis ball to string, hang from roof so that ball just touches windscreen. Perfect position every time. Now, that is safety sense!:laugh:

The system is so clever that it senses that the car is 75mm clear, front and/or rear, then applies the brakes?

• Like 1

Yes Toyota Safety Sense.  It comes up now and again with BRAKE! on my screen and I do.  However, I'm not sure I'd trust it enough to stop the car for me in an emergency.  Good old fashioned attention on the road and slam on the anchors for me!

• Like 1

I havn't got the system,just sounding out views,would choose it,if I had the choice.          Thanks for replies.

This would be beneficial for me especially when going back home after long drives and stuck in stop start traffic on the motorway and my head is heavy, I usually leave longer space between me and the car on front to prevent any need of safety sense braking since my old motor doesn’t have one, however there are always fast fellas that acquire the space quickly and make me use the brakes, you know which makes car owners I am taking about, and yes they doesn’t like hybrids, but my one is undercover and they still given dirty looks from time to time🤭😀👌

13 hours ago, loz8 said:

anybody have this braking? what do you think of it?.

It sensed some children trying to cross the road between parked cars once. It screamed "Break!" at me, i decided not too, and i found the car doing an emergency stop. Was a bit alarming, but i think it's quite effective, certainly got my attention!

Not that great compared to other manufactures. Problem is toyota relies on a camera to do the detect potential collisions and there is all sorts of conditions that can disable it like too much rain or too much sunlight. I've had the warning come on once for a genuine reason, other few times it came on has been probably for some ghost car, cause i certainly didn't see anything.

My wife's Auris has the emergency brake as a part of the first generation safety sense packet. She was saved once during  city driving when the car Infront had stopped and she had not noticed it. She slammed the brakes when she heard the sound and saw the red flashing square "brake" sign on the dash display. I have seen and heard that once while driving (same car) on an A class road here, in a bend with no other car around. Something triggered it without reason but I just ignored it and did not apply the brakes. The first generation ones can be a little too unreliable, being triggered with lot of things, as per the comments on the internet.

You certainly know about it when Brake is applied haha 

Got my Auris in for work with Toyota, and using a brand new Yaris courtesy car.  This thing has got radar cruise control.  This then detects cars etc and changes speed accordingly, coming to a stop in traffic!  So I'm playing with it, with my foot hovering over the brake just in case.  So far it's doing well although it's a little "heavy footed" on the braking! 😆

• Like 1

My Prius has Adaptive Cruise Control, I use it a lot, but, like Andrew, my right foot is always hovering. I treat ACC as an aid to my driving and not as my replacement. I too find the braking in certain situations can be more then a bit to severe.

Firstly, I regard these safety features as a backup, and aim to minimise the need for them to activate.  But I wouldn't want to be without these systems.

The 2016 Prius I had before had version one of Safety Sense.  The industry term for the braking bit is Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB) and Toyotas use both the radar and camera, and so some extent the sonar.  If it thinks there's a risk of collision, it warns with the big red BRAKE message on the dash and some beeps, while maximising the brake fluid pressure just in case.  If it thinks a collision is likely it does a full emergency stop while flashing the hazard lights rapidly and tightening the seat belts.  V1 includes pedestrians in daylight or at night, and cyclists in daylight.  I believe V2 like my 2019 RAV4 has includes cyclists at night as well.

On the Prius it also worked when reversing if the cross traffic radar sensed danger or the rear sonar detected an object.  I sometimes backed into long grass in a car park and it would jam on the brakes just before I 'hit' the grass!  Sadly, this feature is missing from the RAV4, as is the Head Up Display.

Sometimes I get 3 beeps and BRAKE warning come up when I stay in lane with a parked vehicle in front of me and move right late to miss an oncoming car.  The car didn't need to apply the brakes, but was getting ready and warning me I needed to do something.

There's some further discussion in this thread, and a link to the NCAP (Crash Test) site tests of the RAV4's Safety Sense features in action. 

Edited by PeteB
oops - forgot the link!

13 hours ago, Andrew B. said:

Got my Auris in for work with Toyota, and using a brand new Yaris courtesy car.  This thing has got radar cruise control.  This then detects cars etc and changes speed accordingly, coming to a stop in traffic!  So I'm playing with it, with my foot hovering over the brake just in case.  So far it's doing well although it's a little "heavy footed" on the braking! 😆

I love the Radar adaptive cruise control on the new Yaris, i use it a lot, often when i shouldn't, because i find it fascinating.