Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How to stop catloc making noise?

Stealth17

Hi all,

In Januari we've had our catalytic converter stolen (never knew a Prius could make this much noise!).

Since then we've installed a catloc to prevent this from happening again. Unfortunately this has led to a new issue: the chain that links to converter to the car clangs against the tailpipe/converter. This is something you hear almost all the time. 

Toyota Netherlands and our repair company have looked at it several times and have no idea how to fix the issue. They've used tie-wraps and even an old cloth to hold it in place, but through driving these solutions really only works for a few days, at best. 

Now we're left with either a really annoying noise because of the catloc, or with the risk of having our converter stolen again. 

Do you have any idea how we can get our Prius silent again?  

Thanks! 

Chain ?? The heat will melt a plastic cable tie either use mechanics wire (aka safety wire) or a stainless steel cable tie to hold it and/or wrap it in exhaust wrap

• Like 1

Take the chain off. Most cat protectors are fitted just by themselves, mine being one. 
Some cat protector suppliers additionally fit cage of cable, but those look well fixed.

Have not seen a chain protection advertised in the uk.

48 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Chain ?? The heat will melt a plastic cable tie either use mechanics wire (aka safety wire) or a stainless steel cable tie to hold it and/or wrap it in exhaust wrap

That has indeed already happened. The garage has now demounted the catloc and I could see that some of the plastic shielding the chain had already melted. 

I've attached a picture of the catloc when it still was installed. The chain is the in the green shielding, which has already melted in some places.

7 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Not sure if that's doable. I'm no mechanic. I think the part is supposed to be there.

I've also heard back from Catloc. They suggest that:
1. The Catloc may not have been installed correctly.
2. The replacement cat that I got is not an official Toyota one, which means that the Catloc doesn't fit properly.

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-31 at 16.03.02.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-31 at 16.03.03 (1).jpeg

46 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Take the chain off. Most cat protectors are fitted just by themselves, mine being one. 
Some cat protector suppliers additionally fit cage of cable, but those look well fixed.

The chain and brace is part of the kit as well as the plate

@Stealth17 the way that chain has been mounted looks wrong compared to other pics i have seen

edit. The bracket the chain goes through needs turning 90º as its offset it will take up some of the slack

a pic from priuschat user- NozzaVTR

166592_61848091-5F85-4439-872F-4092BB5E0

Just a thought but could you try something like fire or stove rope wrapped around it to damp the vibration? I'd expect that it could take the high temperatures but I'm not sure what its resistance is like to rubbing and abrasion.

On 6/1/2021 at 10:09 PM, AJones said:

Just a thought but could you try something like fire or stove rope wrapped around it to damp the vibration? I'd expect that it could take the high temperatures but I'm not sure what its resistance is like to rubbing and abrasion.

I had my cat stolen recently so I thought a Catloc might be worth fitting but unfortunately the insurance company used a non Toyota replacement and it won't fit. I'm not sure what to do now other than change the car. I could just leave it and then if its stolen again pay for a genuine Toyota one to be fitted and then get the Catloc.  I could just get a new cat now but that seems a bit of a waste although presumably I could sell the existing one to recover some of the money

Has anyone else had this problem and is there another option. Might it be possible to adapt the non Toyota cat fixings so the Catloc will fit?

20 minutes ago, Ferretkeeper said:

.... unfortunately the insurance company used a non Toyota replacement and it won't fit.

Why not consider an alternative - eg CatClamp | Catalytic converter protection (catsafe.org.uk)

• Like 1

As FBalls refers, there are plenty fixtures other the Catloc that Toyota garages offer. Look on eBay and you will find plenty of suppliers of cat protection plates. A smaller independent car repairer maybe be able bend and shape a plate to fit.   I got 2 protection plates off eBay last December, one for a 2010 plate Auris, which, if you jPrius is a Gen3 ,would probably fit. Garage “around the corner” fitted if, but it rattled, it was touching something. He took it off bent it here and there, and now nice and quite. Cost about £40 delivered plus £15 to the garage man.  
you search eBay for “cat protection plat” but include make, mode, year of your car.

• Like 2