Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris 2020 - what kind of alarm?

PeteF16

Hi. I have a new Yaris, and am wanting insurance - always a good option for a car, I feel! But what kind of alarm does it have - Thatcham approved, or not? The salesman didn't even realise it had an alarm, until he tried testing it, and it went off! Thanks.

6 hours ago, PeteF16 said:

Hi. I have a new Yaris, and am wanting insurance - always a good option for a car, I feel! But what kind of alarm does it have - Thatcham approved, or not? The salesman didn't even realise it had an alarm, until he tried testing it, and it went off! Thanks.

When I put the reg details and VIN in for my new Yaris's insurance, it automatically identified my vehicle and filled in the checkbox for "Thatcham approved alarm" for me. so the answer to your question is yes, it does.

Could also contact Toyota Car Technical Support if you need to know which Thatcham category the alarm is.

My mk3 has a factory alarm according to the insurance database, excels tend to have the toys on them, all UK Toyota's from 85-ish had a factory cat 2 immobilizer as standard (yaris from 99)

Edit. Looked up the Excel it has an Immobilizer and "intrusion Alarm" as standard

while looking on Toyota tech i come across the hybrid Battery lock kit (contains instruction how to remove the rear seat)

https://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads/dbcb2181-7c19-437d-a62c-3b52e75b3728/Yaris_Hybrid_Battery_lock_bolt_PW209_00000_AIM_005_141_0.pdf

Thanks for the replies, all useful, and all sorted now.

Wish I'd realised that buying insurance in advance would have saved money tho, buying on the day you want to start it, isn't good - seemingly insurers see that as a risky approach, and assume you drive the same way, so charge more. Oh well, I've now set up a reminder for 28 days prior to next year's renewal date, so won't get caught out again!

1 hour ago, PeteF16 said:

buying on the day you want to start it, isn't good - seemingly insurers see that as a risky approach, and assume you drive the same way, so charge more.

I think it's more that a week or two before you have time to shop around.

On the day ... not so much.

More about having you over a barrel than risk I suspect.

The old 21 day rule is generally still a thing, though as quotes are valid for 30 days, it shouldn’t be a problem for most.