Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Terrible Tyres

MyOpinionIsWorthless

Having had a number of squiriily moments and a lot of wheel spins, I have finally given up on the tyres supplied with my 2019 Prius. The tyres actually feel dangerous at speed on wet roads They have done less than 14k miles and are still at 7mm tread. Before anyone asks , yes they are inflated to the correct pressure.

Has anyone else had bad experiences with the Dunlop Enasave EC300+ 195/65r15 91H ?

I’m swapping these for Dunlop BluResponse in the same size. 
These I had on my 2016 Prius for years with no issues. 

0161E2C1-B864-494A-9EA3-FA54B7380232.jpeg

Hi, 

I have use Goodyear efficient grip performance 2 since last March and previous gen of the same tyres since 2016 for my summer driving and I find these one of the best if not the best tyres in terms of comfort, dry and wet handling plus efficiency. You don’t actually feel the car any different in the wet and these are great driving through water on motorway too. They also last long enough to warrant another future purchase. Highly recommended. My experience with Toyo, Kumho and similar mid range tyres is that they are as good as Michelin and Goodyear but only the first 10-20k miles or 12 months, than they become hard and loose qualities especially the wet handling and comfort. 👍

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi, 

I have use Goodyear efficient grip performance 2 since last March and previous gen of the same tyres since 2016 for my summer driving and I find these one of the best if not the best tyres in terms of comfort, dry and wet handling plus efficiency. You don’t actually feel the car any different in the wet and these are great driving through water on motorway too. They also last long enough to warrant another future purchase. Highly recommended. 

Very similar tread pattern to the BluResponse too

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi, 

I have use Goodyear efficient grip performance 2 since last March and previous gen of the same tyres since 2016 for my summer driving and I find these one of the best if not the best tyres in terms of comfort, dry and wet handling plus efficiency. You don’t actually feel the car any different in the wet and these are great driving through water on motorway too. They also last long enough to warrant another future purchase. Highly recommended. My experience with Toyo, Kumho and similar mid range tyres is that they are as good as Michelin and Goodyear but only the first 10-20k miles or 12 months, than they become hard and loose qualities especially the wet handling and comfort. 👍

You would have thought a Dunlop would have maintained its qualities during a reasonable tyre life ( these are only 18 months old ). I too have experienced “fade” from budget range tyres on previous Prius. 

My experience is you have to be careful with these long time well known products, tyres being one of them. Dunlop may not be the brand you once knew it was.

A lot of drivers still dont know that Volvo is owned by a large Chinese company Geely Holding (2010), and before that Ford (1999). 

Same with vacuum cleaners, todays Hoover vac cleaners are not the same as they once were.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As regards Dunlop - for the Asian markets the Dunlop brand is owned by Sumitomo and for Europe the Dunlop brand is owned by Goodyear, with subsequent differences in manufacture (ie Asian market Dunlop tyres are made by Sumitomo and Europe market Dunlop tyres are made by Goodyear).

Hoover Europe was bought by Candy in 1995, and the Candy Group was bought by Haier (Chinese manufacturer) in 2018.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Catlover said:

My experience is you have to be careful with these long time well known products, tyres being one of them. Dunlop may not be the brand you once knew it was.

A lot of drivers still dont know that Volvo is owned by a large Chinese company Geely Holding (2010), and before that Ford (1999). 

Same with vacuum cleaners, todays Hoover vac cleaners are not the same as they once were.

Agreed which I why I fell back to the known quantity BluResponse which I have driven 50k plus miles no issues. I’m always nervous when manufacturers bring out New and Improved models especially in the world of tyre technology. I’m sure we are all aware that the older patterns get bought out by the budget manufacturers. Lol

yes I was amazed that I can wheel spin my Prius on a MM ( top gear reference to Mostly Moist ) road without using too much boot. 

11 minutes ago, Catlover said:

6 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

As regards Dunlop - for the Asian markets the Dunlop brand is owned by Sumitomo and for Europe the Dunlop brand is owned by Goodyear, with subsequent differences in manufacture (ie Asian market Dunlop tyres are made by Sumitomo and Europe market Dunlop tyres are made by Goodyear).

Hoover Europe was bought by Candy in 1995, and the Candy Group was bought by Haier (Chinese manufacturer) in 2018.

That probably answers the performance issue as the Enasave were fitted on manufacture in Japan 

11 minutes ago, PaulDM said:

That probably answers the performance issue as the Enasave were fitted on manufacture in Japan 

Falken on new Corolla also comes from Japan and many owners complain, can it be down to climate difference and rubber compound used for the different regions?!  Not sure though, but I noticed that Korean brands like Hankook, Nexen Kumho perform better in Uk than the Japanese made Bridgestone, Yokohama, Falken etc., just my experience. Also there is size and model difference, some smaller sizes have much different qualities from their bigger ones from the same brand. Tyres are very tricky thing especially if you are picky and value their properties. How I done my car with 16” conversion with GY egp2 tyres on normal tarmac my car drives like a Bentley not а Toyota, comfy and quiet 😊

• Like 1

Yes falken tyres changed on front after 15000 miles, maybe my fault not checking psi enough 

• Like 1

I certainly wasn’t satisfied with the Toyo tyres fitted to my Prius when I bought it from new. I put up with them but as soon as it was time to change I decided to try Michelin cross climate tyres. More expensive but I found them to handle far better than the Toyo tyres. I have to say one of the reasons I chose the tyres was the good reports I read about how well they handled in snowy conditions. However, since fitting them a couple of years ago now, we’ve not experienced any heavy snowfall so I’ve never had the chance to find out. 

• Like 1

Bridgestone have tyre manufacturing facilities in France, Spain, Belgium and Poland, and Sumitomo's Falken brand has manufacturing plants in Japan and Germany. So although both are Japanese brands, tyres fitted as OE may not come from Japan.

I would imagine that the Falken tyres used on the Corolla would be sourced from Germany, as the European market Corolla is manufactured in the UK and Turkey.

Toyo currently supply the European market from plants in Japan and Malaysia, but from next year will have a new plant start production in Serbia for that market.

Our current i20 has Michelin Primacy tyres which are made in Turkey (where the car was built), as did our previous i20.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, PaulDM said:

I also had Dunlop Sport BluResponse tyres on my 2012 Gen 3 Prius and my 2016 Gen 4 and was happy with them.  They were noticeably quieter than the the stock Bridgestones they replaced on both cars.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, PaulDM said:

Having had a number of squiriily moments and a lot of wheel spins, I have finally given up on the tyres supplied with my 2019 Prius. The tyres actually feel dangerous at speed on wet roads They have done less than 14k miles and are still at 7mm tread. Before anyone asks , yes they are inflated to the correct pressure.

Has anyone else had bad experiences with the Dunlop Enasave EC300+ 195/65r15 91H ?

0161E2C1-B864-494A-9EA3-FA54B7380232.jpeg

Back to the OP.  Both tyres quoted are rated B economy, A wet weather and 68db noise.

10 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Back to the OP.  Both tyres quoted are rated B economy, A wet weather and 68db noise.

Agreed. But I’m getting great fuel economy anyhoo. And not feeling like I’m going to nerf the car in heavy rain on a busy M25 is more valuable than 2-3 extra mpg

the Enasave is rated C wet weather

A873B861-4203-4B72-8ABE-F564E5B35EC9.jpeg

BlueResponse is an A

33C4EC2F-5A44-4B7D-8A35-63B9E4C46960.jpeg

• Like 1

As regards the tyre labelling:

Wet grip - the difference between each rating for wet grip is approx 2.5 metres when braking from 50mph.

Fuel economy - the difference between an A rated tyre and an E rated tyre may be only 7.5%. So the difference between each rating may be 1.5%.

• Like 2

I'm a Blu Response user - good all round tyres

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

New boots on. Certainly is more planted and no sway or lumber around roundabouts and the sideways leap on certain bumpy corners has disappeared. 
I am seeing no loss in mpg at all and certainly stops more responsively. 

as a side effect (and there are scientific articles that back this up) my daughters car sickness has gone away. This is the first car that she has had it in. The Enasave energy retention must have been high.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2021 at 10:52 AM, PaulDM said:

Update:

New boots on. Certainly is more planted and no sway or lumber around roundabouts and the sideways leap on certain bumpy corners has disappeared. 
I am seeing no loss in mpg at all and certainly stops more responsively. 

as a side effect (and there are scientific articles that back this up) my daughters car sickness has gone away. This is the first car that she has had it in. The Enasave energy retention must have been high.

I looked at your tyres online and they seem a good one to me and price is competitive, might give them a try next year or whenever I will need to buy new ones . Have you checked where are they manufactured.? My Goodyear came from a German factory. 
Thanks 

• Like 1

On 5/27/2021 at 9:13 PM, Catlover said:

Oh I didn't know this. Speaking of Geely,  I have seen pics of their Coolray. Love the design. 

4 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

I looked at your tyres online and they seem a good one to me and price is competitive, might give them a try next year or whenever I will need to buy new ones . Have you checked where are they manufactured.? My Goodyear came from a German factory. 
Thanks 

European market so probably Gemany too. 

• Thanks 1

Well those factory fitted tires are usually some kind of fuel- energy-eco savers. They are made of harder rubber compound to achive lower fuel consumption (=lower exhaust  emission ) but nothing comes for free. More tire noise and less adhesion is the price you usually pay. My Corolla's factory Falken are good example of this, but I would not blame all  Falken tires. You can get some good ones from them. It's just those green OEMs that usually sucks.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Tomv said:

Well those factory fitted tires are usually some kind of fuel- energy-eco savers. They are made of harder rubber compound to achive lower fuel consumption (=lower exhaust  emission ) but nothing comes for free. More tire noise and less adhesion is the price you usually pay. My Corolla's factory Falken are good example of this, but I would not blame all  Falken tires. You can get some good ones from them. It's just those green OEMs that usually sucks.

Blue responses are eco and both tyres are 68db

www.tyrereviews.com is a great place for doing tyre research; The guy that runs it is disturbingly obsessed with tyres :laugh:, but there's a lot of good data there.

My preferred tyres atm are the Dunlop Street Response 2/Good Year EfficientGrip Compact's (Basically the same tyre) and Hanook Ventus Prime 3's - Very good tyres for the money. The former are really good on dry surfaces but suffer a bit in the wet and generate a lot of road noise. The Hankooks are quieter and have more balanced wet/dry handling, have really good lateral grip and are available in more sizes.

I was a big fan of Continental's tyres in the past but they're sooo expensive now and the last ones I tried (PremiumContact 5) were great (Quiet, grippy, not too expensive) but were apparently made of grape jelly given how quickly they wore out! To think I picked up a set of Premium Contact2E's for £40 each on my old Mk1 Yaris!! I think they're double that now!!

re. the tyre labels, take those with a pinch of salt, especially the tyre noise rating - I've been finding the tyres with higher noise ratings are often quieter in the car than the ones with low noise ratings!

• Like 1

I changed the Dunlop Grandtreks on my new RAV4 Hybrid to Michelin Cross Climates. Excellent tyres. Also changed my wife’s Lexus to Michelin Cross Climates. Excellent wet grip and comfort.