Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Proace Verso thoughts?

H18 SFR

We’ve been considering replacing our 2009 Corolla Verso with a new Proace Verso Family or with a bit of luck VIP model. With the amount they cost we’d be looking to keep it for the long haul - minimum 15 years, hopefully 15+. 

Just learned tonight that they are essentially Citroen/Vauxhall/Peugeot’s with the Toyota Badge on them albeit with slightly better cabin build including better soundproofing and the likes. I see the engine is the PSA-Ford 1.6HDi or PSA 2.0HDi.

I’m not a fan of the aforementioned manufacturers in the slightest. Anyone able to share some insights / thoughts on purchasing the Proace Verso?

Both the first and second generation Proace are Stellantis vehicles - formerly PSA and Fiat - as is the Proace City.

Basically it doesn't make economic sense for Toyota to export vans from Japan due to fluctuations in exchange rates, and with MPV sales in decline for a number of years, van based versions are the way manufacturers are going. Hence we have vehicles such as the VW Caddy Life, Ford Tourneo/Tourneo Connect/Grand Tourneo Connect, etc.

Are they good vehicles Frosty? 

We don't see much about them, either in van or Verso form, on the Club so difficult to say. Around Birmingham, the Post Office use the Peugeot versions (both generations) as delivery vans, and the Police use them. 

Fiat made good engines, not good bodies though….. but that was many years ago when they were buying bad steel from a communist country I think.  Peugeot, remember how many 405’s you saw as taxis. Taxi drivers need the vehicle on the road, they don’t earn money if they not driving. Peugeot filled that bill well.  It can be surprising to know what manufacturer is “in bed” with what other manufacturer.  Has to be in today’s market, Research & Development costs are high, manufacturing costs for relatively low volumes costly too. Share with someone els and things become viable.

If I knew that they had a Toyota engine I’d have probably scoured the sites for the best deal. It’s took the wind out our sail. 

Have you thought about a Prius+ ? Although Toyota have recently stopped importing them, you may be able to find one less than 1 year old with low mileage. There are a few on the Toyota GB website used car search.

Yeah, not much bigger than our corolla verso in the third row of seats. Wouldn’t be worth it long term. 

• 9 months later...

Have one since Jul `21, done about 37000 km so far. Honestly, apart from minor details I could not be happier. The 180hp 2.0 diesel runs great and it is immensely comfortable. Having removed the third seat row I have plenty of room for tools (I'm a service technician).

• Thanks 2

No significant issues and being a Toyota so long as you service with them it will be warrantied upto 10 year/100k.

2.0 150bhp manual or 180bhp auto are much nicer drives the 1.6 is bit down on power for such a big car.

• Thanks 2

• 4 months later...

I am thinking of buying the Toyota Proace verso 2.0d - it’s listed mpg is 40. What do people find the real mpg is please? Cost of fuel is a big ticket item when budgeting now. What miles do you get from a full 69 litre tank combined? Any help would be greatly appreciated.