Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine revs to high when cold

albertramsbottom

When I start my immaculate 2011 avenisis 1.8 valvetronic, it revs to 2100rpm and then after 30 seconds drops to 1400rpm and finally after another 30 seconds drops to 900. It also doesn't back off very quick and seems to hold on 2000rpm in traffic. Only for a few seconds but it is irritating

I do have a 3 month guarantee on it, so was wondering if it might be a part or needs some engine diagnostics etc

Any ideas

It's a Valvematic quirk and happened to my car. There are a few things you could try. The first is the engine idle relearn - 

Also check for inlet pipe leaks and that everything is tight and secure. I have also cleaned the MAF sensor using Mass airflow sensor cleaner - 

Sometimes the air-con when on or on auto will cause the idle to be high. 
Mine has done it on the odd day. 
Apart from that, the car runs fine. 

I would guess its normal or bad spark plugs, but since you still have 3 months warranty its worth taking the car to the dealership 🙂

On 5/27/2021 at 9:55 PM, albertramsbottom said:

When I start my immaculate 2011 avenisis 1.8 valvetronic, it revs to 2100rpm and then after 30 seconds drops to 1400rpm and finally after another 30 seconds drops to 900. It also doesn't back off very quick and seems to hold on 2000rpm in traffic. Only for a few seconds but it is irritating

I do have a 3 month guarantee on it, so was wondering if it might be a part or needs some engine diagnostics etc

Any ideas

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry missed these replys thanks everyone I will have a look

• 5 weeks later...

My vvti starts of at 2000 then slowly drops to about 600 after a few minutes.