Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Celica GT-4 205 Cooling issues

Jarrod09

So I've had my GT4-205 for about 3Months now or so. I had a bad radiator when it got here from Florida. It was filled with old coolant and rusty. I put a Mishimoto Radiator in with 2 Electric fans there about 800cfm each i think. Has a new thermostat aswell new coolant. No Air in system. For whatever reason about 1hr of driving it overheats temp raises to the middle and keeps going. I'm thinking my electric fans aren't pulling enough air during idle. Fans kick on when it needs to but its not doing enough. I have a appointment to get the Water Pump done aswell soon. Any ideas on how to get the OEM Mechanical fans to work with the Mishimoto radiator? One fans clears but the farthest one to the right by the Battery hits the intake manifold and turbo charger

Compression also checked out with 160/170 PSI on all cylinders. No signs of a blown head gasket/Cracked head

This is a possible sign of the early head gasket failure, more unusual on the later 205 engines, more common on the ST185's. There are workshops that have a smoke detector that is able to analyze the gases in the coolant to check this. Be careful as I had this and as time when on it would pressurize the cooling system, resulting in the destruction of a new radiator on a good run. The rad alone should be enough to keep cool whilst moving, the fans actually move only a small amount of air whilst the car is in motion.

Hm interesting. i only have 98000miles on it. I don't really know how it was properly maintained in Japan. It show's 0 signs of a head gasket. No Milky oil,froth, etc. I have a appointmentto get the water pump done aswell just incase that's the issue where its  not moving coolant properly. I can drive it around for like 1hr or so then the bubbles in the upper radiator hose and thats it.

Did you use the correct coolent?

47 minutes ago, Jarrod09 said:

Hm interesting. i only have 98000miles on it. I don't really know how it was properly maintained in Japan. It show's 0 signs of a head gasket. No Milky oil,froth, etc. I have a appointmentto get the water pump done aswell just incase that's the issue where its  not moving coolant properly. I can drive it around for like 1hr or so then the bubbles in the upper radiator hose and thats it.

Hi, changing the pump, unless leaking throu the seal is unlikely to cure the issue. I have seen some aftermarket replacement pumps where the impellor has not been secured to the shaft give issues. Most garages will have a co2 tester for the cooling system to check, it is a relatively inexpensive test. Failing that there are kits you could buy like

https://www.amazon.com/Detection-Testing-Indicate-Adjustable-Universal/dp/B08QW8BBXZ/ref=sr_1_13?dchild=1&keywords=head+gasket+tester&qid=1622286210&sr=8-13

not used this but there are others all working in a similar way.

1 hour ago, Ikram Shahar said:

Did you use the correct coolent?

i used Pink for Asian vehicles. 

7 minutes ago, Symes said:

Hi, changing the pump, unless leaking throu the seal is unlikely to cure the issue. I have seen some aftermarket replacement pumps where the impellor has not been secured to the shaft give issues. Most garages will have a co2 tester for the cooling system to check, it is a relatively inexpensive test. Failing that there are kits you could buy like

https://www.amazon.com/Detection-Testing-Indicate-Adjustable-Universal/dp/B08QW8BBXZ/ref=sr_1_13?dchild=1&keywords=head+gasket+tester&qid=1622286210&sr=8-13

not used this but there are others all working in a similar way.

Well i should of had issues with it. Milky Oil,etc. Coolant doesn't disappear. no white smoke or anything. I can find a garage for a CO2 test/leakdown and see. The copolant when i had the car was brown and rusty. Changed radiator and that brown/rusty coolant has never come back and i think the car has been sitting for a few years.

• 4 weeks later...

There may be rust, hardened calcium or mineral deposit blocking coolant lines inside engine block and head.  Radiator is new so it should not have blaockage.

Buy a bottle of calcium/mineral dissolver and follow instructions.  It could dissolve any deposit and let coolant flow smoothly.