Do Not Sell My Personal Information

To buy or not to buy

CCJ

Hello all, looking for some honest everyday user advice. I am currently looking to purchase a 2019 hatchback 1.8 hybrid icon tech. I currently have a polo which I love however it is showing its age so looking for a change and upgrade. I have read mixed reviews regarding the rear space (my drivers seat is normally as far forward as possible) and usable boot space (big enough for regular sized pram?) Anyone able to help? Also any other pros or cons

8 hours ago, CCJ said:

Hello all, looking for some honest everyday user advice. I am currently looking to purchase a 2019 hatchback 1.8 hybrid icon tech. I currently have a polo which I love however it is showing its age so looking for a change and upgrade. I have read mixed reviews regarding the rear space (my drivers seat is normally as far forward as possible) and usable boot space (big enough for regular sized pram?) Anyone able to help? Also any other pros or cons

Best to take the pram and car seat along with you and try them for size. Rear space in the hatch does often get highlighted as not being great. 

Have you considered the touring sports? It has a longer wheelbase so more room in the back seats and obviously a much bigger boot. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi, if you are coming from a polo you will be fine with Corolla, the rear leg room is limited however if the driver it’s not very tall then it’s ok and the boot will be enough fir most prams, I have seen 3 electric scooters xiaomi fitted into a Corolla hatchback without folding rear seats . But best to try prior to purchase as been advised. Corolla hybrid it’s definitely an upgrade over any vw 👌👍

• Thanks 1

The hatchback has a shorter wheelbase than the Touring Sports (estate) and saloon, hence less space in the rear. Toyota market the hatch as being suitable for couples, the Touring Sport for families and the saloon for execs.

As mentioned, take the pram and seat with you to try in the hatchback to see whether it suits.

The following also provides measurements for the interior - http://ridc.org.uk.testing.effusion2.dh.bytemark.co.uk/features-reviews/out-and-about/choosing-car/car/corolla-20-hybrid-5dr-hatch-2019

http://ridc.org.uk.testing.effusion2.dh.bytemark.co.uk/features-reviews/out-and-about/choosing-car/car/corolla-18-hybrid-5dr-hatch-2019

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you both for your responses. I do not currently have children however trying to future proof as much as possible. I hadn't considered the touring sport as an option so will do some research into that as well

Just my sixth pence worth, IMO the touring sport (Estate) is much nicer looking then the hatch. The wheel base of the TS is the same as a Prius, so the length will be somewhat the same.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve got the 2.0 Touring Sports, the boot is fantastic for families - lots of cubby holes, hooks, compartments and flexibility with the boot floor. It’s great for carrying our 3yr old Son’s trike, and would easily carry our egg pram, with all the usual baby luggage too. The extra leg room in the rear means it’s easier to fit a bulky car seat. I’d 100% recommend the estate over the hatch, which is a bit pokey in the back. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I've got the 1.8 TS and would say if you want to future proof yourself then you should only consider the estate version. 

It's not a large/wide estate and doesn't feel like your driving a barge, ideal for everyday driving, commuting.

If you get the hatch version once the pram is in you won't have much room for anything else but believe me you will have a whole load of other baby 'stuff' to lug around on any day out.

Toyota themselves advertise the hatch version for singles and couples.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I also echo the estate.

I am single, no kids and was looking for a hybrid Toyota and looked at the Auris hatch and it's so small. Sit in the rear and head nearly touching the roof. Legroom not great. Looked at the TS and so much better! Would be even better if rear seat slid into part of boot space when boot empty. It's not a massive estate and easy to drive and park. I have a 1996 Volvo 940 estate, so like estate cars. Seen the Corolla hatch at dealers and sat in one. They feel very small/dark. OK for couples, but probably go for a new Yaris if just 2 of you. That felt better to sit in/front/back. Well thought out.

James👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1