Do Not Sell My Personal Information

crankcase breather hose

Mariosskoutaris

Discovered today that my crankcase breather hose is cracked and I cant find an exact one for some reason. If anyone knows the part number and what issues can that cause because I already have a smoking one.

can it cause smoking?🤔

thanks.

20210529_141733.jpg

I would say guffer tape something as a temporary fix and wait for a reply from one of the guru's.

The smoke could oil splattered on hot surface?

I think this might be the part number but best confirm it, message @Parts-King , he's very helpful.

image.thumb.png.c9e0c5041dd76f876998c7f54fbda61b.png

• Like 3

On 5/30/2021 at 4:14 AM, Mariosskoutaris said:

Discovered today that my crankcase breather hose is cracked and I cant find an exact one for some reason. If anyone knows the part number and what issues can that cause because I already have a smoking one.

can it cause smoking?🤔

thanks.

20210529_141733.jpg

Not sure if this helps, but for this I had the same issue, and ended up adding a catchcan to stop oil going back into the intake by running a hose from the breather port to the new catchcan.

Keeps the intake cleaner and stops oil residue building up

(Also the smoking/oil vapour is normal except you usually dont see it as it is directed back into the intake)

1 minute ago, Coal-Rolla said:

Not sure if this helps, but for this I had the same issue, and ended up adding a catchcan to stop oil going back into the intake by running a hose from the breather port to the new catchcan.

Keeps the intake cleaner and stops oil residue building up

Do you have a link or something because I don't know how to find a good one while reasonably cheap

Just nit picking....

That is not the crankcase breather hose as you know it, that's the crankcase equalisation pipe that supply ambient air pressure TO the crankcase as if not the negative pressure from the pcv circuit which is the true breather  would cause a huge vacuum and suchk all your oil out of the engine and it would run like crap.

Hope that helps

58 minutes ago, Phil01 said:

Just nit picking....

That is not the crankcase breather hose as you know it, that's the crankcase equalisation pipe that supply ambient air pressure TO the crankcase as if not the negative pressure from the pcv circuit which is the true breather  would cause a huge vacuum and suchk all your oil out of the engine and it would run like crap.

Hope that helps

So, if I read that correctly it is not something important right?

• 3 months later...
On 6/2/2021 at 9:41 PM, Phil01 said:

Just nit picking....

Hope that helps

Sorry for bringing up a slightly old topic! May I ask what my options here are? Can I use a catch can in this line to stop the oil entering the intake system? Would this need to be one that is vented? Or can I vent this to atmosphere with a crank case filter?

Thank you!

You always can visit dealership and ask for this part.  It is relatively cheap and may take few days to get it.  Otherwise you can buy online from online Toyota dealer parts.   Click on the parts you need http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/2014/auris-hybrid-ukp/zwe186l-dwxgbw/1_166520_038_519W/tool-engine-fuel/1201_ventilation-hose#12262

Search the part number online and someone sell it. 

On 9/9/2021 at 12:44 PM, Infiniti said:

Sorry for bringing up a slightly old topic! May I ask what my options here are? Can I use a catch can in this line to stop the oil entering the intake system? Would this need to be one that is vented? Or can I vent this to atmosphere with a crank case filter?

Thank you!

A catch can is a very good idea on a turbo diesel with egr as it catches oil mist that could be drawn into the intake and egr and that then lines the inside of egr and the soot particulates stick to the oil mist and builds up that wet black goo that blocked egr operation.

But if you think you need a catch can to catch oil blow by then your engine is already snagged as the pcv circuit should really control blow by emissions as that's its job

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings, I am hoping that someone on here may be able to help me on an issue I am having with my 2008 Toyota Avensis 2.0D4D T25. I recently had to change the air pipe between the airbox and turbo  and noticed some oil on the intake side of the turbo. I have recently noticed that the car is consuming more oil than previously. I have been scouring the internet for reasons for this happening and sticky PCV valve and EGR valve are mentioned. I can locate the EGR valve at the front of the engine but can't find the PCV and am looking for direction so I can locate it and examine it.

On 10/1/2021 at 11:04 PM, Pat1974 said:

Greetings, I am hoping that someone on here may be able to help me on an issue I am having with my 2008 Toyota Avensis 2.0D4D T25. I recently had to change the air pipe between the airbox and turbo  and noticed some oil on the intake side of the turbo. I have recently noticed that the car is consuming more oil than previously. I have been scouring the internet for reasons for this happening and sticky PCV valve and EGR valve are mentioned. I can locate the EGR valve at the front of the engine but can't find the PCV and am looking for direction so I can locate it and examine it.

From my very amateur knowledge, the 2.0 and the 2.2 do not have a PCV. All we have is the small pipe which goes from the rocker cover to the air intake. What this essentially does is allow the positive pressure from the crank case to leave and enter the intake system. 

However, this means that the lovely filtered air which your air intake filter has just provided for your turbo to compress is now being slightly dirtied with oil, potentially fuel blow-by and both of these liquids vaporised too. From what I have been able to gather online, the oil which leaves the rocker cover breather hose is often responsible for EGR valve gooey build-up, as opposed to the dry soot which is what is to be expected. In the most extreme cases of blow-by, people have suggested that it may be possible that this is affecting the air-fuel mixture in the engine. (As well as generally coating your intake hose, turbo, intercooler and intake manifold with oil. 

I have recently addressed this issue with installing a 2 port catch can along this rocker cover breather hose, to catch the general contaminants which leave the rocker cover. It definitely is collecting some liquids, so I assume it is doing something. (Although I was losing essentially no oil, so I wasn't expecting large quantities of fluid). 

However, due to the symptoms you have mentioned, I would also look into whether your head gasket may need replacing, and have a feel of the turbo blades, see if there is any lateral or shaft play.

If you do want to install a catch can, I can provide you some photos of what I have decided to do. It looks quite clean really, even though we're not provided the luxury of space in the Auris SR180 engine bay!

Thank you Infiniti for your feedback. I must remove and clean the EGR valve as I have never done so before and see if that helps reduce the amount oil to the turbo intake. I use 5W-30 oil when servicing the car and am considering changing to 10W-30 or 10W-40 if there is no improvement. I would be interested in a photo of how you installed the catch can as it seems a good idea if there is no PCV in the system.