Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris ignition barrel replacement

Rob W

Hi, My daughter’s 2015 Yaris needs a replacement ignition barrel. Can this be done by an independent garage or is it a main dealer only job? Anyone had experience of this? 
Thanks for any advice.

Is it the barrel, the switch or just a worn key, same issue with the spare key ? Are there any other keys with the car keys ?

The barrel is fairly simple to remove, you will have to order one from the dealer if you want to use the same key

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Is it the barrel, the switch or just a worn key, same issue with the spare key ? Are there any other keys with the car keys ?

The barrel is fairly simple to remove, you will have to order one from the dealer if you want to use the same key

Thanks for the reply. It’s definitely the barrel, a recovery engineer spent an hour trying to lubricate it or free it up. The key is fine, it’s a 2015 model. Someone suggested the ECU might need to be changed too hence my query.

i would pull the switch off the back of the ignition first, a bad switch can jam the barrel, no need to touch anything electronic

i will have to find the info for the barrel removal iirc its just a pin, but you still need to turn the key to the first click

p130 ign key warn.pdf

p130 ign barrel.pdf

Thanks, I’m no mechanic but I believe the engineer pulled the switch from the ignition and managed to shut the windows for security. Key won’t turn to first click. He said the barrel would need to be drilled out. Will call in our local garage first thing Tuesday and hope for the best. Dread having to go to the main dealer.

Has someone tried to steal the car - if so, they may have busted the steering lock

you can change the barrel and its housing by cutting a slot in the security bolt or just cut it off

26 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Has someone tried to steal the car - if so, they may have busted the steering lock

you can change the barrel and its housing by cutting a slot in the security bolt or just cut it off

No it’s not been interfered with, the steering lock still works . I’ll be leaving the next move to the professionals but thanks for your responses.

• 4 months later...

Hi there, I was wondering how you got on with your problem? 

I have an old mk2 and my ignition barrel is going wonky and can take multiple tries and wiggling before working..... So looking for inexpensive solutions 🤞