Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Genuine Toyota TPMS retrofit?

Avalon

So one of the things my 4.4 lacks is TPMS, obviously I can buy a 3rd party kit, but I notice the genuine module is available for similar money. I have a few questions:

Has anyone retrofitted this and if so any issues?

Where is the module located? I’m assuming it’s behind the dash and the loom has the connector taped up as usual?

Did this generation have a manual TPMS button and if so has anyone got the p/n or presumably it’s a simple switch job? If not I assume Techstream can do it.

I realise it’s easier to go out and buy a 3rd party kit with minimal agro, but I am a gluten for punishment.

its a lot of effort to fit oem, sensors on their own are £300, pickups on each corner, Early tpms systems are abs based

most cars have some type of tpms from 2012

I don't know if 4.4 was a typo, or you may have changed your car and not your profile

If you click my profile, it lists a 4.2 XTR and 4.4 Invincible, at least for the next few months it’ll be both 🙂

TPMS wasn’t on the standard equipment list for an Invincible from memory. Based on other brands of that period, I was hoping to plug the module in and ideally have minimal Techstream coding to activate/pair which would have been ideal for me as genuine TPMS sensors are available for under 1/3 of list price and compatibles for even less.

40 minutes ago, Avalon said:

If you click my profile, it lists a 4.2 XTR and 4.4 Invincible, at least for the next few months it’ll be both 🙂

TPMS wasn’t on the standard equipment list for an Invincible from memory. Based on other brands of that period, I was hoping to plug the module in and ideally have minimal Techstream coding to activate/pair which would have been ideal for me as genuine TPMS sensors are available for under 1/3 of list price and compatibles for even less.

A "tyre pressure warning system" is listed as standard equipment on all UK models of the 4.4, and my 2013 Icon certainly came equipped ... I can't believe that an Invincibubble wouldn't have it! 😉

Could yours be an import? Or ... ?

... or has some previous owner snipped or switched the "pink wire" (to disable TPMS)? There are threads on here on that subject.

Some folk wanted to disable the TPMS system so as to be able to swap to a set of winter wheels without the TPMS warning light being on permanently.

The TPMS reset switch is on the lower dash, beneath the steering column, positioned so that you can see it only with the aid of a mirror or by somehow lying with your head in the footwell looking up!!! (Mobile 'phone cameras are useful!)

It’s not mentioned (that I’ve found) on either Parker’s or What Car standard equipment list and I haven’t noticed the reset button despite running cables round the dash/footwell, but I would love to be wrong as it would save me some agro 😄 If it is the pink wire cut, I can’t understand why people wouldn’t fit a switch, it’s easy enough to do.

TPMS became compulsory on models with new Type Approval from 1st November 2012, and became compulsory on all new models from 1st November 2014.

So a 2012 model didn't need TPMS fitted unless the Type Approval was after 1st November 2012.

Some manufacturers fitted TPMS in advance of the November 2014 deadline - so it is quite feasible for a 2013 Rav4 to have it, and a 2012 Rav4 not to have it.

For example the second generation Auris, which went on sale in December 2012 and carried forwards the Type Approval from the first generation, didn't need TPMS fitted until November 2014.

My mistake

10/2014 onwards tpms was mandatory

... either way, the February 2013 pdf brochure lists a "tyre pressure warning system" as standard equipment on the Active. The Icon and Invincible have additional equipment, but nothing is listed as being removed.

The same brochure list a "tyre repair kit" as standard with no option for a spare, though Toyota clearly relented later that year. 

Looked up the switch, and it shows 12/2012 - 10/2015 - 84746-50010 (located down by the brake pedal under the dash with the word SET on it)

Just a thought does the car have metal or rubber valve stems ?

• Like 1

... I was just about to suggest checking the valve stems ... 🙂    It is possible that the batteries on one or more are shot and a previous owner chose to disable rather than replace.

Or, on a Touch & Go 2 (in my 4.5) the TMPS reset is on Vehicle settings (somewhere) on the multimedia system - there is no physical switch.

100% sure TPMS options are not available on my T2G - I’ve even updated it to the latest 6.x software. I’ll check the valves, but from memory they’re rubber stem.

This is all very peculiar ... I'd be pretty confident that the car had an active TPMS system when it left the Toyota factory in Japan.

I don't know what toys you have in your cupboard, but I'd want to connect up a diagnostic tool that is capable of reading and setting the TPMS valve identities into the system. First to see whether there are any previously stored values, and second to check that you can programme in new values after you've installed a TPMS valve onto each wheel.

Thanks for the replies, after further investigating it turns out Parker’s etc. are wrong, and my Invincible does indeed have a TPMS ‘SET’ button under the steering column and 4x metal TPMS valves (yay… saved £40-125).

I’ll dig out Techstream and check the values stored as I’m pretty sure it hasn’t got the 4 wheels it came with on at present and have had zero warnings, which either means someone reset it, or the pink wire may have been cut, but that’s a job for another day - the weather is way too nice today.

• Like 1

... so with that sorted, do you have any reason for suspecting that the TPMS isn't working as it is? Have you done the obvious and deflated a tyre to see the warning light lit? Or am I missing something? 🙂

I did an initial spec lookup on Parker’s, no TPMS mentioned, looked at the spare that had apparently come off the car and found a rubber valve stem, add to that no mention of TPMS and up to that point everything points to no TPMS. I’ll dig out the VCI lead and check the module and coding tomorrow to confirm it actually works.