Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brake discs

fc919

Hi, my c-hr is at 30k miles and I am a bit concerned about the condition of the brake discs. Please see the attached photo. During the vehicle healthy check toyota said they are fine but just rusty. The lines are not scores but rather high ridges. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

20210530_151730.jpg

20210530_151719.jpg

37 minutes ago, fc919 said:

Hi, my c-hr is at 30k miles and I am a bit concerned about the condition of the brake discs. Please see the attached photo. During the vehicle healthy check toyota said they are fine but just rusty. The lines are not scores but rather high ridges. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

20210530_151730.jpg

20210530_151719.jpg

I should add that the braking performance is not affected and there are no noises etc. Many thanks in advance. 

It is common with Toyota hybrids that the brake discs show up rust. Due to the nature of braking on a Toyota hybrid, the actual brakes are used less then in a non hybrid car. The hybrid part of the car uses itself to slow the car down initially, more pressure on the brake pedal will bring the actual disc brakes into operation. This means the pads should last longer, but the actual discs will show rust signs and can actually prematurely end the life of a disc if it gets really bad.   Best thing you can do, but only when its safe and no other vehicles about, is to brake very hard with continued pressure, This will help to keep the discs free of rust.  Likewise, after a downfall of rain and your car been standing for a time, when you drive off you may hear a grinding sound, again this is the light surface rust that has been formed being rubbed off.

• Like 1

That's how the hybrids are, a slight lip on the disk but nothing major, the rears don't get much use - if you're doing local runs and short journeys they never get the heat in to them

• Like 1

Many thanks for your responses everyone. Apologies this is my first hybrid hence I'm still getting used to some of these things. 

No need to apologise, we were all new sometime or other.  Any other questions - just fire away, plenty people on here who can answer.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, fc919 said:

20210530_151730.jpg

20210530_151719.jpg

Hi, 

the rust that accumulates on the outer side of the brake disc is because of the brake pads not able to clamp with enough force to clean the friction surface caused by stuck slider pins and rust.  Hard braking will not help I am afraid and with the time the brake discs will become worse. Best to prevent that from happening is to do a brake clean and lube every 2-3 years or if you drive a lot on yearly basis. If you only do that without changing the brake fluid it’s a simple job and easy done as diy, all you need is to take the pins out clean and lube with silicone grease or Toyota pink grease available from dealers. Since hybrids use most of the braking force provided by the e motors the brakes are cold and can not evaporate moisture and water and these find its way into the pins and they get stuck more than in any other cars. Low mileage cars in general suffer more from that than the cars been used every day. Nothing to worry for now and simply clean and lube service will extend the life of your brakes. 
Regards 

• 2 weeks later...

Interestingly VW have gone back to drum brakes on the rear of the iD3/4 to avoid friction loss and keep them in better condition and avoid the rusting that discs get when not used a lot. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AndyRC said:

VW have gone back to drum brakes on the rear of the iD3/4

Also, the ID3 (and surely the 4 too?) is RWD, so when ever it is regenerating (through brake pedal operation), I imagine that that is even less work to be done by the back brakes. 

I notice plenty of large-ish, new, pickup trucks are using drum back brakes, albeit quite large diameter ones.  And the latest Twingos and Smart ForFours (predictably), have been using some 'exotic-looking' finned rear drums for a while.

I must get out more....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gerg said:

Also, the ID3 (and surely the 4 too?) is RWD, so when ever it is regenerating (through brake pedal operation), I imagine that that is even less work to be done by the back brakes. 

I notice plenty of large-ish, new, pickup trucks are using drum back brakes, albeit quite large diameter ones.  And the latest Twingos and Smart ForFours (predictably), have been using some 'exotic-looking' finned rear drums for a while.

I must get out more....

Correct , another reason VW use drums as they are used very little for braking. 

New electric cars will drive most independent garages out of business in the next 5-10 years, I am quite happy about that since many of those are dodgy ones that nobody should ever go to or trust their work. 👍 Maintenance schedule 20 k miles or more and 800 days or more, perhaps ac filter change and windscreen washer top up , maybe Wiper Blades too.😀👍 ., after many miles eventually coolant change and ac re gas. Business will not be as usual 👌🚗