Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Relax Warranty

FROSTYBALLS

If you prefer apparently the previous Toyota Extended Warranties are still available but chargeable of course.

13 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

As earlier stated nobody, especially on these forums, will be able to predict what faults there could be on a 9 year old car and whether or not these are manufacturing defects or otherwise.

On a car forum filled with people who know about cars there's lots of people with the knowledge and experience to know the kind of faults you get on older cars, many posters will have experience of these issues themselves. So a discussion on typical wear and tear failures and whether or not they might be covered based on the nature of the faults isn't unreasonable.

• Thanks 1

But in relation to what the Relax warranty may or may not cover on an older car, it isn't realistic. Anyone can make assumptions but those aren't necessarily to say whether the items will be covered or not. It is all conjecture.

Please move on.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/27/2021 at 10:02 PM, Heidfirst said:

If you prefer apparently the previous Toyota Extended Warranties are still available but chargeable of course.

Is this true?

I thought the RELAX was designed to replace it?

I understand so but I would defer to someone like Devon Aygo who will have a more exact knowledge.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2021 at 7:38 PM, 50p said:

... so the vehicle I purchased 3 weeks ago with 4.5 years warranty remaining has been reduced to 2.5 years, unless I get it serviced at a main dealer??

Nope. Your warranty terms will remain the same. They cannot back date changes

• Like 1

The 3 year/60,000 mile new car warranty is for vehicles ordered from 1st June 2021. The 5 year/100,000 mile new car warranty on vehicles ordered before 1st June 2021 is still valid.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

What is the difference between manufacturer's warranty vs relax warranty?

Is the only difference that within 1st 3 years one can service outside Toyota and still keep warranty valid but after 3 year warranty only applies if serviced by Toyota?

How does it compare with Kia's 7-year full manufacturer's warranty? Why didn't Toyota simply offer 10-years manufacturer's warranty instead of splitting it after 3rd year?

• Like 1

Logically, you summed it up….. to get Relax warranty you have to have the car serviced by Toyota. That is beneficial to Toyota and the customer benefit includes having the knowledge only Toyota trained techs touching your car.

Kia does 7 year, it’s mother company does 5 year. Why the difference.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, mobi said:

What is the difference between manufacturer's warranty vs relax warranty?

Is the only difference that within 1st 3 years one can service outside Toyota and still keep warranty valid but after 3 year warranty only applies if serviced by Toyota?

The terms and conditions of the Relax warranty are in the first post of this topic.

Block Exemption regulations apply to the first 3 years of any vehicle manufacturer's new car warranty, which means that a vehicle may be serviced outside of the marque's dealer network whilst maintaining the warranty.

There are some drawbacks to this, as the onus is then on the owner in the event of a warranty claim, to have proof that the vehicle has been maintained to the manufacturer's schedule and parts of equal quality have been used. Also garages outside the dealer network may not have access to the manufacturer's electronic service history.

The Relax warranty is an extended warranty - Block Exemption doesn't apply and Toyota legally can stipulate where/by whom the covered vehicle is serviced.

Personally I have no interest in comparing Relax to the Kia warranty - if you wish to do that, that is your choice.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Catlover said:

Hyundai's 5 year warranty is for unlimited mileage.

Kia's 7 year warranty is up to 100k miles. 

So high mileage users can choose Hyundai and low/average mileage users can choose Kia. 

My question was to understand if someone always gets servicing done by Toyota, then it is safe to assume all Toyota cars come with 10 years warranty (or 100k miles whichever is earlier). Is that correct?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mobi said:

My question was to understand if someone always gets servicing done by Toyota, then it is safe to assume all Toyota cars come with 10 years warranty (or 100k miles whichever is earlier). Is that correct?

The Relax scheme began on 1st June 2021, so services before this date don't count.

After the new car warranty ends (in the UK 5 years/100,000 miles on vehicles ordered before 1st June 2021 or 3 years/60,000 miles on vehicles ordered from 1st June 2021), and vehicles are serviced within the Toyota dealer network, the service will activate the Relax warranty for 1 year/10,000 miles, provided that, at the time of the service, the vehicle is less than 10 years old and has covered less than 100,000 miles.

Confirmation of the Relax warranty being activated should be recorded on the vehicle's electronic service history, and the dealer should e-mail confirmation of the Relax warranty activation, to the customer.

On 1/20/2022 at 12:48 PM, Catlover said:

Logically, you summed it up….. to get Relax warranty you have to have the car serviced by Toyota. That is beneficial to Toyota and the customer benefit includes having the knowledge only Toyota trained techs touching your car.

It's also got to do with building a relationship with the brand and the dealer.

Spend money at the dealer, which also ends up in the pocket of the manufacture in the form of payment for parts, and they are more likely to help when needed.

If you service at an independent, the independent makes the money. The manufacturer are less likely to help in this instance as they don't see loyalty (and money) from the customer

Having spent time in the industry, I have seen this in action. Two identical issues from two different customers. One serviced at a dealer, and the other at their local independent. The manufacturer paid out for the one who serviced with the dealer and not to the customer who went independent.

I prefer to pay a bit more and have the security of the warranty if I need it.

• Like 2

Before the Relax warranty came in, Toyota provided help under goodwill, to customers who had problems with their cars out of warranty provided they had full Toyota service histories.

For those who didn't have full Toyota service histories, goodwill was often refused. 

This approach is common amongst vehicle manufacturers.

With Relax, the need for Toyota to consider goodwill is by and large removed.

There are several topics on these forums which illustrate this - eg. pearlescent white paintwork on the IQ, and going back further, head gasket issues on the AD series diesel engines.

• Like 1

Before the Relax warranty came in, Toyota provided help under goodwill, to customers who had problems with their cars out of warranty provided they had full Toyota service histories.

For those who didn't have full Toyota service histories, goodwill was often refused. 

This approach is common amongst vehicle manufacturers.

Exactly what I was saying.

I personally prefer to build a relationship with the dealer.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Big_D said:

I wonder if the change in car purchasing has caused this, people used to buy cars outright and keep them for many years but a lot of new purchases are now fleets, leases or PCPs, handed back and sold on to a second owner after 3 or 4 years. 

Its that second owner who has the car as it exits the warranty and may have no relationship with the dealer, so goodwill from the dealer cannot really work in that situation. And of course it needs some incentive for the new owner to use the dealership, if there's no warranty left and no goodwill, they may as well take it to a good independent and save on costs.

The Relaxm warranty does give the second owner some benefits to using the dealer network.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AJones said:

I wonder if the change in car purchasing has caused this, people used to buy cars outright and keep them for many years

This is exactly what I used to to. My last buy was a one year old C-hr. I'll keep this for three to four years and then upgrade to a newer model.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, AJones said:

wonder if the change in car purchasing has caused this, people used to buy cars outright and keep them for many years but a lot of new purchases are now fleets, leases or PCPs, handed back and sold on to a second owner after 3 or 4 years. 

Its that second owner who has the car as it exits the warranty and may have no relationship with the dealer, so goodwill from the dealer cannot really work in that situation. And of course it needs some incentive for the new owner to use the dealership, if there's no warranty left and no goodwill, they may as well take it to a good independent and save on costs.

We have always bought our cars, kept them 3-4 years, and part exchanged for whatever new model we wanted. The majority of our cars have been kept by the dealer for re-sale - some have been put on the used car forecourt as we've been collecting our new car. Had around 22 new cars.

Some buyers will be buying from a franchised dealer with a warranty (probably an extended warranty which can stipulate where the car is serviced), so there is some incentive for the used car buyer to build a relationshio and continue with the dealer in order to keep the warranty valid. Of course with some of the longer new car warranties (ie the previous Toyota 5 year warranty, Hyundai's 5 year warranty, Kia's and MG's 7 year warranty, Renault's 4 & 5 year warranty, etc), a 3-4 year old car may have some of the new car warranty remaining.

Not everyone has a good independent to go to.

Swings and roundabouts really as regards goodwill. The manufacturer shows goodwill by the possibility of helping with out of warranty repairs and the owner shows goodwill by using the manufacturer's dealer network for servicing.

As I said there are instances on these forums where Toyota has provided goodwill for out of warranty cars with Toyota service history and denied goodwill for cars without said service history. Examples include resprays (IQ) and new 3/4 engines (AD series diesels). 

So you pay your money and make your choice ....

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all , after reading all posts on this subject I’ve cancelled my service booked for next week on my 5 year old petrol verso and I’m going to maintain it myself this year but get Toyota to do my break fluid and possibly coolent next year as this is something I can’t do myself. I work in a parts shop and can get correct oil and filter for nothing , just got a feeling possibly incorrectly that Toyota would knock back most problems I’d have with my car saying wear and tear given it’s age . I did buy my car for its easy home servicing watching lots of videos beforehand. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Relax is a con. First problem I had with my 2017 Prius,  battery draining and unable to put it in gear.  They said it was water ingress into a sealed communication unit and Not covered by relax.  The dealer couldn’t believe it.  £1400, to fix.  No relaxation for me.

• Like 1

I would have thought if it's a sealed communications unit, water ingress shouldn't be possible - That would make it count as a manufacturing fault surely??

• Like 1

That’s what I though and what the dealer thought, but Toyota say it’s not covered by Relax warranty

• Like 1

Might be worth e-mailing Toyota head office to ask for an explanation. If something like this isn't covered it means literally nothing is covered...!

• Like 1

On 1/21/2022 at 9:25 PM, Big_D said:

Agree, I am the same. Dealer relationship is worthwhile especially while the car is still under warranty. 

• Like 1

Most definitely. I think it's good to build a relationship with the dealer

• Like 1