Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Auris (2009) automatic - Strong vibration when accelerating!

Nikolas8

hi all,

I have a 2009 Jap. Toyota Auris (automatic) and the issue i'm facing is that on acceleration it vibrates really badly (entire car shakes) and doesn't accelerate as expected, especially if i push the gas pedal hard. Usually this hard vibration goes away once i reach around 60-70kmh.
Other issue is when i'm on a stoplight it also vibrates but a bit more gently.
Any ideas as to what's causing this would be much appreciated!!

Is there any sound, knocking, etc when it vibrates, or just vibrates?

If there is sound, is the same sound present at idle, if you rev the engine?

From what speed range does it start doing this?

Did you balance your wheels? Was it vibrating the same few months ago, when car was on winter tires?

Did you test engine mounts? Just try to move the engine around with your hand, feel free to use some force, to see if there is any slop in the

mounts.

If the car vibrates at idle, and you press the clutch, does the vibration stop?

4 hours ago, furtula said:

Is there any sound, knocking, etc when it vibrates, or just vibrates?

If there is sound, is the same sound present at idle, if you rev the engine?

From what speed range does it start doing this?

Did you balance your wheels? Was it vibrating the same few months ago, when car was on winter tires?

Did you test engine mounts? Just try to move the engine around with your hand, feel free to use some force, to see if there is any slop in the

mounts.

If the car vibrates at idle, and you press the clutch, does the vibration stop?

Thanks for the reply!

The issue appeared for the first time a few weeks ago, while the car was started but idle for quite some time with air con and radio on. Once i put it on Drive, and pressed the gas pedal i first experienced this issue. Even though i was pressing the pedal, RPMs were going up and down but the car wasn't accelerating as normal.

The next day all was well.. then a few days passed by and i experienced the same thing but in a milder manner, i.e. vibration was only felt on idle/stop lights while D drive on.

Then, two days ago the car was acting up again with high vibrations (no other sound from the engine), just sounds from within the car due to the vibrations.

I attach a small video i captured that day, you can hear the vibrations at around 8 to 12 second.

EDIT: This is an automatic Auris, haven't check the mounts yet. As for wheels balance i haven't done that yet as the car doesn't lean either left or right.

Edited by Nikolas8

Does turning off the AC make any difference?

Sounds to me like some pulley is dry, and sometimes catching, causing the sound, that could also explain why the issue is intermittent.

Did you check the pulleys?

I don't know how good/comfortable you are with DIY stuff, but if you loosen the alternator, and move it a bit, you can release the tension on the belt and should be able to spin some pulleys by hand and check them.

19 hours ago, furtula said:

Does turning off the AC make any difference?

Sounds to me like some pulley is dry, and sometimes catching, causing the sound, that could also explain why the issue is intermittent.

Did you check the pulleys?

I don't know how good/comfortable you are with DIY stuff, but if you loosen the alternator, and move it a bit, you can release the tension on the belt and should be able to spin some pulleys by hand and check them.

Turning off the AC doesn't really help.. I thought it did the first time but it was coincidental..

Haven't done any checks yet, thought i would get as much info as possible prior to checking. I'll give it a try and let you know!! Thanks for the replies, really appreciate it!