Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New owner questions

RobN-RG

Do you have a sticker on the side of the glove box (glove box open)

13 minutes ago, flash22 said:

No, no stickers anywhere in that area.

CPN/Colin, just out of interest, what options do you have in the Wifi section (in setup) of the multimedia system?

Mine has Wi-Fi power (On or Off (set to On)) and Miracast, which is set to Off.  

Top right of the display I have a WiFi symbol, with an up/down arrow but it's not lit up.

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

Nothing on mine either.

1 hour ago, RobN-RG said:No, no stickers anywhere in that area.

CPN/Colin, just out of interest, what options do you have in the Wifi section (in setup) of the multimedia system?

Mine has Wi-Fi power (On or Off (set to On)) and Miracast, which is set to Off.  

Top right of the display I have a WiFi symbol, with an up/down arrow but it's not lit up.

Same as yours. As I understand it, the WiFi only becomes active if you have the full satnav module attached like the systems in Continental Europe.

The logo with the arrows is typically gsm/LTE data via your phone

I'm unsure about the Wi-Fi it maybe be part of the gsm module - not sure if there is anything in the hidden menu regarding its function as have only had a brief look at one

Harman tend to get FCC approval on most of their modules, so if it's in the nav it will be documented

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

The logo with the arrows is typically gsm/LTE data via your phone

The arrows only come up as part of the WiFi icon (both the icon and arrows are greyed out on a UK head unit if you try and turn the WiFi "on"). The phone connection is just a series of bars which reflect the signal strength on your phone when connected (no arrows)

I'm unsure about the Wi-Fi it maybe be part of the gsm module - not sure if there is anything in the hidden menu regarding its function as have only had a brief look at one

Harman tend to get FCC approval on most of their modules, so if it's in the nav it will be documented

I'll have a poke around the hidden menus later and let you know...

On 6/6/2021 at 1:01 AM, RobN-RG said:

Thanks Colin.   So there's clearly something wrong with my one then.  If your Launch Edition has it, my one should too.  It's either dealer/Toyota configuration, or something is broken.

Did a double check today when I was out and about? Had to stop at 3 different locations several miles apart and each time that I stopped I checked the MyT app to see if it had recorded any changes. Absolutely it did for each location and it showed by how many miles it had done on the ODO also showing the exact same reading as the car. So, there is definitely a direct connection going on with the car's network somehow as the updating was just about instantaneous. Also note that the map part of MyT was also updated with the route I took so the built in GPS module is definitely doing its stuff.

17 hours ago, CPN said:

Did a double check today when I was out and about? Had to stop at 3 different locations several miles apart and each time that I stopped I checked the MyT app to see if it had recorded any changes. Absolutely it did for each location and it showed by how many miles it had done on the ODO also showing the exact same reading as the car. So, there is definitely a direct connection going on with the car's network somehow as the updating was just about instantaneous. Also note that the map part of MyT was also updated with the route I took so the built in GPS module is definitely doing its stuff.

I've got questions in with the dealer and a case opened with Toyota. CASE1500268

We have checked our systems and can see that the connected services should be operational.

If you would be so kind as to reply with any images of what appears on the screen when you try to access these services I can then liaise with our Multimedia Team and get back to you in due course.

We'll see how long it takes to fix. 

The dealer is collecting my car tomorrow. They think they know what the issue is. We'll see.  

3 hours ago, RobN-RG said:

The dealer is collecting my car tomorrow. They think they know what the issue is. We'll see.  

If I were in your shoes, I would insist on them telling you exactly what the cause was.

11 hours ago, CPN said:

If I were in your shoes, I would insist on them telling you exactly what the cause was.

They've just called me. Will PM you details. The issue is unreal and I don't want to post until it's resolved and I have my car back. 

Let me guess, it's DCM aka Data communications module, fault

TSB issued 11/06/2021 BE-00495T-TME

3 hours ago, flash22 said:

PM'd you.  Although sounds interesting.  Any details? 

3 hours ago, flash22 said:

D'you think this will trigger a full recall Bob?

Just on to my dealer and when she entered my car details, up popped that very TSB on mine and there is ANOTHER also! Apparently there is a "high pressure fuel pump issue" but that one's not ready for recall yet... So, 1016 miles on the ODO and the car is now subject to two recalls already!

Update: Booked in on the 30th for an ECU Re-program which is the subject of one of the recalls.

Edited by CPN
Update

There is the ABS recall, Fuel pump, Rear seat Anchors and now the DCM - it's a new platform there are bound to be some issues

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, flash22 said:

There is the ABS recall, Fuel pump, Rear seat Anchors and now the DCM - it's a new platform there are bound to be some issues

My Kona EV went back four or five times (I pretty much lost count) in 18 months for recall work, usually software updates. When I sold it another was in the line to replace the main Battery (I actually got the notification a few weeks after selling it).

I usually try not to buy new models within a year or two of introduction for this very reason.

• Like 1

Well, good evening ladies and gents. I have just read all this just out of interest and all I can say is that I'm glad my Rav 4 is 12 years old. What a palaver!! I would be stuck with a modern car as my 'phone only makes calls and receives calls. 'Smart' it isn't. The Rav does have multi media, ( that's my wife) and GPS is in my head. (Now THAT'S smart !!)

Yeah, I tend to agree - Never buy Version 1!! I only have because of the dealer malechicken-up forcing my hand (Although I don't regret it because the Mk4 is awesome!). Heck if it wasn't for KHAAAAAN! and his :cursing: ULEZ, I'd probably still be driving my Mk1 D4D! :laugh:

TBH I'm actually glad Toyota issue so many recalls - It shows they are more responsible than a lot of other marques, who seem to try their best to avoid such things at the risk of peoples lives. I always found it a bit galling that certain manufacturers pointed fingers during Toyota's 'unexplained acceleration' problem in the USA some years back, when they themselves had several fatal crashes caused by bugs in the ECU, which they were aware of but never issued recalls for until so many people died the DMV were forced to investigate (And if it's so bad the DMV feel they have to actually do something for once you know it's bad!)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

Is there somewhere that list recalls I checked on Toyota site but does not list what recalls are just that there is some my Yaris is going in next week due to speed sign recognition having to be set after everyone switched off.

The Toyota recall checker usually shows outstanding recalls for your reg number you put in.

3 minutes ago, Catlover said:

The Toyota recall checker usually shows outstanding recalls for your reg number you put in.

Indeed but it does not detail what they are

10 minutes ago, CPN said:

Indeed but it does not detail what they are

Whenever I get a recall when I phone to book it I always ask what is it about.

1 minute ago, Catlover said:

Whenever I get a recall when I phone to book it I always ask what is it about.

Of course, as do I but what is the harm of giving a headline phrase representing what it is about (on the recall site)?

1 hour ago, CPN said:

Of course, as do I but what is the harm of giving a headline phrase representing what it is about (on the recall site)?

A very good point. My Yaris Mk4 is also coming up with a recal on the recall checker. I have a very busy few weeks ahead so i'm not going to bother booking it in just yet, but if it said what the recall was for - and if it was urgent - then i would get it in straightawayl

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links