Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Automatic transmission

SUFIN CYRIAC

I can see a small push button near p (parking) in my auris automatic car. What is that used for? 

Possibly an override unlock button to move the selector lever. (if it's similar to my car?) With ignition off and/or no brake pedal depressed.

On a previous car there was a small hole to access the same thing, no external button.

Have you checked the owner's manual?

• Like 1

It is for near proximity to  people or cars ,should be lit,as it can be switched off. if it does not beep if someone stands close to sensores,it is off or not working. That is when car is powered up,in gear.

assuming you mean,it is low down ,right side of dash. next to it is auto parking,if fitted.

Edited by loz8
more clarity
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, loz8 said:

It is for near proximity to  people or cars ,should be lit,as it can be switched off. if it does not beep if someone stands close to sensores,it is off or not working. That is when car is powered up,in gear.

assuming you mean,it is low down ,right side of dash. next to it is auto parking,if fitted.

On 1/28/2016 at 3:08 PM, Sussexlad said:

Hi

I noticed that the nearside rear fog-light isn't working. Having bought a bulb and removed the plastic lining,

I discover it isn't wired up ! What's the point or was my particular Yaris a Friday afternoon model ?    😉

TIA

I have checked the manual and couldn't find. The one in the automatic gear box near to parking p Iam talking about. Thank you

Photo, to save confusion, please

• Like 4

14 hours ago, loz8 said:

On 1/28/2016 at 3:08 PM, Sussexlad said:

Hi

I noticed that the nearside rear fog-light isn't working. Having bought a bulb and removed the plastic lining,

I discover it isn't wired up ! What's the point or was my particular Yaris a Friday afternoon model ?    😉

TIA

I have checked the manual and couldn't find. The one in the automatic gear box near to parking p Iam talking about. Thank youIMG-20210604-WA0020.thumb.jpg.79521f8941965e79f9977eb5b2b6b4bf.jpg

Pretty sure it’s the shift release for the Multi mode transmission. Is there a diagram on page 683 of your manual? If not, check the index under ‘multi mode transmission’. My 2014 model is a pre-facelift one so your manual may be different .

• Like 2

On 6/3/2021 at 10:05 AM, mrpj said:

Possibly an override unlock button to move the selector lever.

Almost exactly what I suggested yesterday!

21 minutes ago, mcntosh said:

Pretty sure it’s the shift release for the Multi mode transmission.

They've been kind enough to identify it on mine.

shift lock resized.jpg

• Like 2

Thank you so much for the information. 

Question, is the MM auto box in the Auris a disaster like in the Yaris, or is a different (improved) system?  If different, in what way?

15 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Question, is the MM auto box in the Auris a disaster like in the Yaris, or is a different (improved) system?  If different, in what way?

Actually, looking more closely I think the original author's transmission is a Multidrive - the diagram on page 682 of the manual looks more like his photo! Apologies for any confusion I've caused.

This is what happens when a hybrid owner blunders into a discussion about petrol transmissions! To make matters worse, I had a Corolla with Multidrive as a rental a couple of years ago, so no excuse really...

So, I still not clear about the g/box in Sufins car. Anyone clear it up for me.

The second generation Auris (December 2012 onwards) used Toyota's CVT rather than the Multi Mode transmission. 

So, is that the e-cvt like in the Prius and Mk 1 Auris hybrid

1 hour ago, Catlover said:

So, is that the e-cvt like in the Prius and Mk 1 Auris hybrid

I believe Multidrive is a conventional belt-driven CVT. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you.

17 hours ago, mcntosh said:

I believe Multidrive is a conventional belt-driven CVT.

Which is the transmission fitted in my Yaris (Multidrive). Yes, it is.

It looks as though the selector arrangement is slightly different for the Auris.

I could be wrong, I usually am, but I don't think, from memory, the MMT (Multimode) has a "P" position.

I don't doubt that the Auris had the same dire MMT s the Yaris!

Seeing the pic. I posted, my car's interior looks to be in dire need of  vacuum cleaner.

33 minutes ago, mrpj said:

Which is the transmission fitted in my Yaris (Multidrive). Yes, it is.

It looks as though the selector arrangement is slightly different for the Auris.

I could be wrong, I usually am, but I don't think, from memory, the MMT (Multimode) has a "P" position.

You’re right, it doesn’t, according to the diagram in the manual.