Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


Toyota Auris 2016 hybrid fuel consumption to high


Recommended Posts

Hello. Fuel consumption is to high ! very high ! hybrid meaning !!! on dashboard showed when petrol was full to can drive 576 miles,but managed only 270 miles. ? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, have you emptied the tank completely, 576 is very optimistic however if you are careful driver close to 500 can be achieved. In the worst case scenario should be 400 and above. Fuel consumption should be calculated as you fill up full and drive for a while and fill up again, then do your calculations and you will get real average consumption. 👍

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi, have you emptied the tank completely, 576 is very optimistic however if you are careful driver close to 500 can be achieved. In the worst case scenario should be 400 and above. Fuel consumption should be calculated as you fill up full and drive for a while and fill up again, then do your calculations and you will get real average consumption. 👍

sorry,did you read what i said ? with full tank managed only 270 miles.this is ridiculous. today filled full tank,on dashboard showing usage,18 miles per gallon. wow. nice  😞 

Link to post
Share on other sites

What kind of driving are you doing? I average 50mpg with 30% town / 70% country driving so I would expect about 500 miles from a full tank (45L = 9.9 gallons). Tony's estimate sounds about right.

The average on the Honest John RealMPG website is 54.9 mpg: https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/toyota/auris-2013/18-hybrid. It will also depend on the model you have - mine is lower than average because it has a panoramic roof (so heavier) and 17" wheels.

270 miles from a full tank is 27 mpg, which sounds very low, even for city driving. The worst I've ever got from a fill-up was 36mpg and that when I was doing only short runs around town.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Janis,  your car is a hybrid, or is it just a 1.6 petrol.?.?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, mcntosh said:

What kind of driving are you doing? I average 50mpg with 30% town / 70% country driving so I would expect about 500 miles from a full tank (45L = 9.9 gallons). Tony's estimate sounds about right.

The average on the Honest John RealMPG website is 54.9 mpg: https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/toyota/auris-2013/18-hybrid. It will also depend on the model you have - mine is lower than average because it has a panoramic roof (so heavier) and 17" wheels.

270 miles from a full tank is 27 mpg, which sounds very low, even for city driving. The worst I've ever got from a fill-up was 36mpg and that when I was doing only short runs around town.

yapp,you are wright, today drived from work and took a photo ,this is not fun for me. i just bought this car from arnold clark toyota aberdeen.  11000 pounds on finance. 😞 

20210603_110433.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Your typical journey is 0.3 miles? 18mpg after that distance isn't that unusual. It has to run a warm up cycle on the engine for the first few minutes. Do a 3+ mile journey at urban speeds in this warm weather and it'll be back to 45+ mpg easily.

How much fuel did you put in after the 276 miles? The Toyota gauge seems somewhat conservative compared to other makes. I've had mine in the reserve zone, showing 0 miles range on the computer and I only managed to squeeze 39L in the 45L tank...

Link to post
Share on other sites

So your journey to work is .3 mile ?     That’s just less then 600 yards.

For a 600 yard journey - what are expecting???

Link to post
Share on other sites

Expecting good fuel consumption from a journey of 0.3 miles is farcical. The car won't have warmed up in that time.

Do a longer run - in the tens of miles - and come back to say what the fuel consumption is then.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Catlover said:

So your journey to work is .3 mile ?     That’s just less then 600 yards.

For a 600 yard journey - what are expecting???

yo. today is very hot outside. must start immediately normal way. +20 air temp. today 

Link to post
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, MagicBoy said:

Your typical journey is 0.3 miles? 18mpg after that distance isn't that unusual. It has to run a warm up cycle on the engine for the first few minutes. Do a 3+ mile journey at urban speeds in this warm weather and it'll be back to 45+ mpg easily.

How much fuel did you put in after the 276 miles? The Toyota gauge seems somewhat conservative compared to other makes. I've had mine in the reserve zone, showing 0 miles range on the computer and I only managed to squeeze 39L in the 45L tank...

yes,it was empty and manag put in 36 L , then reserved must be 9 L,, engine starts from cold with massive clicking sounds, so weird. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, it seems you have it all wrong then. The 576 miles estimate range when the tank was full is calculated on the previous average consumption and quantity of fuel in the tank, the 18.5mpg was the average consumption for the 0.3mile journey you have completed, there is nothing strange here, short journeys means low mpg., the 270 miles if definitely out of 43l tank is low for sure but how accurate were your measurements is the question here and how do you use your car  (how efficient you drive and this can include time and place of your journeys, duration, driving style , road surfaces, weather conditions, season, air temperature, tyre pressure and vehicle load. ) take into account all factors above, double check your tyre pressure and use quality fuels, drive a bit longer let say 20+ miles at least and see how it’s going. Toyota hybrids are great  cars and super efficient, they are also very reliable and if anything goes wrong with them they will show you a warning on the dashboard, all they need is service on time and you can’t get it wrong with them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Well, it seems you have it all wrong then. The 576 miles estimate range when the tank was full is calculated on the previous average consumption and quantity of fuel in the tank, the 18.5mpg was the average consumption for the 0.3mile journey you have completed, there is nothing strange here, short journeys means low mpg., the 270 miles if definitely out of 43l tank is low for sure but how accurate were your measurements is the question here and how do you use your car  (how efficient you drive and this can include time and place of your journeys, duration, driving style , road surfaces, weather conditions, season, air temperature, tyre pressure and vehicle load. ) take into account all factors above, double check your tyre pressure and use quality fuels, drive a bit longer let say 20+ miles at least and see how it’s going. Toyota hybrids are great  cars and super efficient, they are also very reliable and if anything goes wrong with them they will show you a warning on the dashboard, all they need is service on time and you can’t get it wrong with them. 

nice to say to others when your self have no problems, bla bla bla, i had previously yaris , with 1.3 vvti petrol and drived 400 miles from 40 L tank. SO ? how do you think,i am so happy now ? this is not racing car !!! like im said,there is defenitelly something wrong , engine starts from cold with massive clicking sounds. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JanisLP said:

nice to say to others when your self have no problems, bla bla bla, i had previously yaris , with 1.3 vvti petrol and drived 400 miles from 40 L tank. SO ? how do you think,i am so happy now ? this is not racing car !!! like im said,there is defenitelly something wrong , engine starts from cold with massive clicking sounds. 

It seems it’s your first hybrid, if yes you have a long way to go to get to know your car performance and behaviour. Forget about the dashboard information, just double check your tyre pressures on cold, make sure they are exactly as recommended and drive the car for 200 miles, then fill up again at the same garage, do your maths and if again far from 50-55mpg you can worry about and get it back to the garage you bought it. But if you drive on super short distance only like 2 miles or so don’t expect to get very good efficiency. Toyota hybrids does start with a lot of clunky, clicking and rattling noises sometimes, and this is normal. 😊👌

Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks a lots for great explanation. but i'm driving long journeys to and get the best about 41 miles per gallon. 😞  so my experience is nice driving with normal car,but there is something wrong. im soon getting servicing under warranty. i hope something will be fixed. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

You have to learn how to drive a hybrid - reset the trip on the dash and on the screen as well

it's all about smooth driving no hard acceleration or braking, you have to plan ahead and coast up to junctions, come off the throttle when up to speed or going down hill you only need to use 25% of the throttle, if you have a heavy right foot put the car in ECO mode

If you are new to Automatics, you drive with your right foot, the left does nothing

The hybrids don't like the cheaper supermarket fuel, a tank of Premium from the likes of BP, ESSO or Shell make a difference, If you are out in the sticks the fuel may be older and be contaminated (moisture)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, flash22 said:

The hybrids don't like the cheaper supermarket fuel, a tank of Premium from the likes of BP, ESSO or Shell make a difference, If you are out in the sticks the fuel may be older and be contaminated (moisture)

When you say use Permium fuel do you mean the higher octane petrol?  The handbook says to use 95 octane or higher but does the higher octane actually make any difference in a hybrid engine which is tuned for economy not for performance.  I had wondered about using it from September when standard 95 octane is reformulated to E10.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Trewithy said:

When you say use Permium fuel do you mean the higher octane petrol?  The handbook says to use 95 octane or higher but does the higher octane actually make any difference in a hybrid engine which is tuned for economy not for performance.  I had wondered about using it from September when standard 95 octane is reformulated to E10.

Quality fuel no need to be 98 or 100., as long as it’s clean and the engine runs well. I had some trouble filling up from local Shell, very convenient for me but sadly poor quality, I felt the car doesn’t accelerates how should be and poor mpg plus pulsating when pushed hard, stopped using that garage, cleaned the system with additives and use only local BP that works best for me, no more trouble, accelerates faster, engine runs smoothly and efficiency had been improved , that what I called quality fuel. Ok it’s £1.35 to the litre but worth it mote than other £125. 👍 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've found you will get a true fuel consumption with a journey over 10 miles. You'll see the display gradually improve between 0 and 10 miles as it all warms up. Engine starts immediately from cold as it runs to get a minimum heat level, then it will cut on and off depending on Battery and driving demands. Just try a fairly relaxed 10 miles plus run and this weather you should be seeing over 60mpg, but display over reads by 4 or 5 mpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Janis, I understand this is your first hybrid, 4 years ago I got my first hybrid, an Auris, now the wife’s car.  What I did I now recommending to you, and that is go to You Tube and look at video clips “how to drive Toyota Prius” and you will get loads of tips, very helpful.  I know it refers to a Prius, but the Auris, like yours and like my wife’s, has the same hybrid technology as the Prius, exactly the same.

I don’t understand the massive clicking sounds when you first start up. I can’t relate to that, ok I wear a hearing device, but the wife doesn’t, and she never grumbled about load clicking sounds.

and I don’t see any problems with super market 95 petrol. Sure some may be better then others, but Tonyhsd has problems he said with Shell and now uses BP.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

As Catlover says,in 5 yr with mine ,no noises used any cheap fuel,Eco is selected automaticaly. It is only main dealer serviced,so will check if new free warranty applies.

10 yrs would be good.

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 noises on start up or "ready" first one when you open the door is the vacuum pump for the brake servo, next is the steering lock and the third is the contactor on the Battery (Turns the HV Battery on)

Fuel has a lot of factors the premium fuel you are paying for the additives - the higher octane the cleaner the burn, i will say petrol cars with a turbo do benefit from premium fuels more - fuel stations, a busy one usually has the better fuel as it has a higher turn over

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Catlover said:

Janis, I understand this is your first hybrid, 4 years ago I got my first hybrid, an Auris, now the wife’s car.  What I did I now recommending to you, and that is go to You Tube and look at video clips “how to drive Toyota Prius” and you will get loads of tips, very helpful.  I know it refers to a Prius, but the Auris, like yours and like my wife’s, has the same hybrid technology as the Prius, exactly the same.

I don’t understand the massive clicking sounds when you first start up. I can’t relate to that, ok I wear a hearing device, but the wife doesn’t, and she never grumbled about load clicking sounds.

and I don’t see any problems with super market 95 petrol. Sure some may be better then others, but Tonyhsd has problems he said with Shell and now uses BP.

Thank you ,will try the best as i can ! i got appoitmennt to look up about cold engine starts like empty bucket ,clack click cluck and more fun sounds ,so weird 🙂 this is not normal,car still under factory warranty,i love to drive with and must be fixed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, loz8 said:

As Catlover says,in 5 yr with mine ,no noises used any cheap fuel,Eco is selected automaticaly. It is only main dealer serviced,so will check if new free warranty applies.

10 yrs would be good.

Yes, it will continue up to the 10year/100k miles so long as you have Toyota main dealer service.   Even if you up to now not had main dealer the new Relax would apply if you conform to rules ie main dealer service every year.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/3/2021 at 1:05 PM, JanisLP said:

yes,it was empty and manag put in 36 L , then reserved must be 9 L,, engine starts from cold with massive clicking sounds, so weird. 

That's 35mpg average then. Which is low. Driving style can have something to do with it.

Engine will sound a bit different to a conventional car when started up - it's running a warmup cycle to get heat into the engine as soon as possible. It's trying to make heat, not performance.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership