Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why does a bumper moulding cost so much?

colintr

Does anyone know why the rear bumper moulding for a 2012 Aygo should be so much more expensive than the front one? Mine has been badly scrapped and I've had a quote of £170 to repair it so i thought it would be cheaper to buy a new one and spray it. The ones I've found online are between £60 and £80 (as opposed to £15 - £20 for the front ones). Seems like a lot when you can buy a whole new bumper on eBay for £80.

Can anyone suggest a good supplier of used parts for the Aygo?

Thanks

While you wait for a proper answer to come along....

A wild guess here.  Perhaps the back ones are unique to the Aygo, and the front are common with the C1 and/or 106?

So the fronts are easier to come by.

Or, maybe the rear ones split without much provocation, so more demand, and the front ones don't (perhaps because they are bolstered with foam for NCAP crash protection purposes)?

My guess is that more people reverse into things, damaging their rear bumper, than drive into things damaging the front. So used rear bumpers are in greater demand than front ones, pushing up the price.

I guess parts for newest generations cost more than for older ones. I hope prices will drop as time goes on.

15 hours ago, colintr said:

the rear bumper moulding for a 2012 Aygo

So is yours a 2012 Aygo as per the topic, or a 2021 Aygo as per your profile ???

Toyota Model: Aygo

Toyota Year: 2021

Please clarify.

It's a 2012 model, I don't know where 2021 in the profile came from, I've not actually filled it in yet.

It could be that more people get rear end damage so demand is higher, but it still seems like a huge difference especially as its a piece of plastic about the size of a hand

You must have completed the profile - it doesn't self complete. It has now been edited.

Are you talking about a rubber or plastic trim or a complete bumper ?

A picture would be helpful

It's the plastic trim, here's a picture. I'll probably end up leaving it as it is, it's only cosmetic... I just don't like having damage on the car.

trim.thumb.jpg.d348a36410865ec1dad94f9c8a3a71e0.jpg

That would need the bumper repainted, red is just one of those colours it's a pain to blend, you are looking at £150 to repaint a bumper plus fitting so £170 isn't bad

Its worth getting a few quotes tho

• Like 1

I've had a few prices between  £170 and £250.

Thanks for sorting the profile, it's odd because I'm sure when I joined I put as little info on there as I could as I have 2 cars, my other is a GT86.

Hi,

I asked the price once for this. As you said yourself, in my case, this tiny part was expensive because it was delivered to car dealerships unpainted. It needs painting. And 1h of car bodywork labour is expensive.

I would go to the scrapyard. Red Aygos are rather common and I think the mk1s all have the same rear bumper.

• Like 1

Hi

I've often wondered this myself, I had similar damage, had them painted in the end, both rears incase of colour difference  paid 20.00 all in.

Some people have gone black on them, I dont like the look personally.

Looking at your pic, its not too bad, if it were me  you could lightly sand the rough edges, and buy a matching touch up pen, you'd hardly notice it afterwards, that's why I like red cars

There are a few red Aygos being broken for parts on eBay. Trick will be finding one that isnt scratched like yours. I reckon pop it off and rub down/fill then primer and rattle can will probably be as good as anything.

• Like 1