Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Experiences with V-Power 100 Octane in Aygo?

Chris Boddum

7 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

This RAC article quotes research by 'What Car?' that E10 is 3% less efficient than E5 with smaller engined cars most affected, so if the price difference between E10 unleaded and E5 super unleaded is less than 3% it could actually be cheaper per mile to use E5 super unleaded (from September 2021)!

What is E10 fuel and how will it affect you?

Yeah I was trying to work this out the other day - looks like you have been thinking something similar! But is E10 3% cheaper than E5? Hmmm. I think the price of E10 will be going up too. It is slightly more expensive I heard. Still with the benefits of E5 (better additives) I might go for that now in the future. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, WazWii said:

Yeah I was trying to work this out the other day - looks like you have been thinking something similar! But is E10 3% cheaper than E5? Hmmm. I think the price of E10 will be going up too. It is slightly more expensive I heard. Still with the benefits of E5 (better additives) I might go for that now in the future. 

The price difference depends on the forecourt, in my experience most are 5% more expensive with some higher and some lower.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

The price difference depends on the forecourt, in my experience most are 5% more expensive with some higher and some lower.

Yup thanks for that. Looks like super premium (E5) fuel it will be then.

• 1 year later...
On 6/5/2021 at 6:24 PM, Chris Boddum said:

Hey people!

What are your experiences with V-Power 100 octane? I've been shifting between both 95 and 100 octane, and the car honestly seems to run better on 95 octane. Is it pre-mapped to run on 95 or something? I have a mk2 2015. Would like to hear your experiences.

Thank you!

I bought a 2021 Aygo X-press - It goes 18.5 km/l on Octan 100 and to my BIG SURPRISE 19.5 km/l on Octan 95 (real world normal driving) - My old Corolla drove longer on Octan 100, but not the case with my new Aygo... WEIRD BUT TRUE !!!

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 6/6/2021 at 9:46 AM, FROSTYBALLS said:

Toyota don't recommend 95 octane - in the owners manual they state 'use 95 octane or higher', as with most of their cars.

Sorry to bump this thread again but I do need some help.

If you open the TOYOTA AYGO (second-gen 2017 model) fuel cap the inside sticker clearly states 95/98 RON.

I was going to put some RON 99 Shell V-POWER in but seeing that sticker on the day made me hesitate. To confirm therefore can the AYGO (second-gen 2017 model) really take RON 99 or indeed even higher?

Thanks.

• Like 2

Yes. The owners manual provides a minimum requirement - 95 octane or higher.

We use super unleaded in our both cars and our previous cars without issue, and have done for some time.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Yes. The owners manual provides a minimum requirement - 95 octane or higher.

We use super unleaded in our both cars and our previous cars without issue, and have done for some time.

Thanks for the reply; that was quick. OK I can continue then to see if this makes much change to the drivability of the engine and MPG. Being E10 is already a plus in my book. 

Just thought I would do a little update.

Car seems smoother - pulls stronger. Pick-up response is better. Not tried top end of rev range. I doubt much will be noticeable at that end - Aygo feels zippy enough at that rev range. It is the pick-up lower down the range where you can feel it tracks more linear in a stronger smoother manner.

Noise = no change. 

MPG = better. I proved this by going on a run on the same road route I have used many times over and over as I love that particular route (30 mile route all in to and back home). The best before I could manage 72.5 MPG (I know don't ask). With the RON 99 Shell V-Power I managed 74.5 MPG. This is the MMT (multi-mode transmission) version too. No temperature difference. Maybe tires were slightly inflated to a higher level but I have done that before too. 

Best thing however was the value. Putting in £30 worth of Shell V-Power gave me 262 miles on the trip computer. Now if I put in the ordinary Shell E5 I would have got about 278 miles. So a loss of only 16 miles. I was expecting a lot worse.

Worth it for the better additives, better MPG and running performance I think. I wonder if Shell still do the RON 99 V-Power discounts/points/vouchers?

• Like 5

Filled up with Texaco Super Unleaded, because nothing else was available New Year’s Day and I was running of vapour at that point with about a litre and a half remaining.

The engine just felt slightly more responsive. In terms of MPG it made absolutely zero difference?

• Like 1

There always be mpg difference better e5 and e10, how much will depend on air temperature, and engine load. If you drive mostly in town at lower speeds in traffic etc the difference will be small to the pint almost nothing, but if you load the engine as you drive on A roads and motorways the difference in consumption will increase because of the less energy density of the higher ethanol petrol, so e5 wins., saves you some mpg and equalises the money difference. I only use e5 and each time I have to put e10 in I immediately regret it afterwards, noise, vibrations and lack of power. , dead horse. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

There always be mpg difference better e5 and e10, how much will depend on air temperature, and engine load. If you drive mostly in town at lower speeds in traffic etc the difference will be small to the pint almost nothing, but if you load the engine as you drive on A roads and motorways the difference in consumption will increase because of the less energy density of the higher ethanol petrol, so e5 wins., saves you some mpg and equalises the money difference. I only use e5 and each time I have to put e10 in I immediately regret it afterwards, noise, vibrations and lack of power. , dead horse. 

Yes good point. It could be the E5 doing the difference not necessarily the V-Power. I get what you mean. But surely that is just for MPG and not engine performance/noise? E10 should be a match for E5 in that regard right?

• Like 1

Noticing stronger pick-up when in 4th (or even 5th as I tried this to experiment) at about 37 mph. Picks up stronger. 

Going to stick to Shell 99 RON V-Power from now on.

• Like 2

Usually the E content in the petrol has some positive impact and some negative. The positive side is that reduces emissions as it burns cleaner and also reduces the risk of engine knocking. On the negative side is reducing the power output as it has lower calorific number, which means it won’t be an issues for those big engines with plenty of excess ( reserve) of torque and bhp but for all others especially the small engines like in Aygo , Yaris even the hybrids 1.5 1.8 it’s critical and the lack of performance will be noticeably higher. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Noticing average MPG is now showing around 63.5 MPG on 99 RON Shell V-Power when before on Shell E10 standard variety it was showing around 60 MPG.

• Like 1