Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Key Programming

Jon Ben

I have read the manual and the online PDF but cant configure the key to only open the drivers door.  Also can you configure the car to lock the doors automatically as you drive off?    Been through all the screen settings without any joy 

Hi Jon Ben, not sure about the first part but can confirm that the doors do not automatically lock as you drive off. This surprised me too when I collected my car 3 weeks ago as I assumed all modern cars did this. Must admit I didn't ask when I collected the car, just assumed 😏

• Like 1

It is in your account on the Toyota website along with a few other settings. This is the same account that is used to initialise the multimedia system. 

8 hours ago, Ian.S said:

It is in your account on the Toyota website along with a few other settings. This is the same account that is used to initialise the multimedia system. 

I just logged in to my account on the Toyota website. Cant see anything about initialising anything ? 

15 hours ago, 50p said:

Hi Jon Ben, not sure about the first part but can confirm that the doors do not automatically lock as you drive off. This surprised me too when I collected my car 3 weeks ago as I assumed all modern cars did this. Must admit I didn't ask when I collected the car, just assumed 😏

Just spoke to the dealer and they reckon the service dept can set the doors to lock as you move off.  The also reckon this key cant be configured to unlock the drivers door only 😞  

3 hours ago, flash22 said:

It's a dealer level option, iirc it's in the manual

125491912_corolla210lock.thumb.jpg.c38a0bca19c3c1a8255307ac18ed9655.jpg

page 662 onwards

https://d24bc9lyrt5en5.cloudfront.net/Customer-Portal-Admin/emanuals/TOYOTA/OM12P10E.pdf

Dealer sales tells me its not an option unless you have the smart entry.    Some of the shine is going off having this car.  Things that I would consider standard on most £32,000 cars that are not even an option on this GR.

9 hours ago, Jon Ben said:

I just logged in to my account on the Toyota website. Cant see anything about initialising anything ? 

Have you created a My Toyota account?  If so: go to www.toyota.co.uk and log on via the head and shoulders symbol in top right, select your car. You should the be able to select your owned vehicle, click on the car picture when you will see lots of options. Select ‘vehicle settings’ and finally’Select doors to unlock’. I hope you get there this time.

Sorry. I’ve just seen the later responses, so my guidance may be useless. 

37 minutes ago, Ian.S said:

Have you created a My Toyota account?  If so: go to www.toyota.co.uk and log on via the head and shoulders symbol in top right, select your car. You should the be able to select your owned vehicle, click on the car picture when you will see lots of options. Select ‘vehicle settings’ and finally’Select doors to unlock’. I hope you get there this time.

Been through all that. No vehicle settings option shown.   Tried to download updates etc to the display module in the car.  Keeps failing. I just gave up.  Needless to say. I am a bit disappointed as its hardly the basic model.

Its a dealer level option (turned on with techstream) try another dealer

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

Its a dealer level option (turned on with techstream) try another dealer

I think it depends on the model and the key system.   The smart entry system is very different to the normal key operation.   The handbook doesnt give any information on this key other than  the lock and unlock buttons.    The problem is that the configuration across the range is not the same for the UK as it is in Europe etc.   We always get the least bang for our bucks  as they say.  I am told that they are upgrading the GR to smart entry.  I needed the car now.  Not in a few months time. Plus the price will probably go up

OK Folks. The latest is that my dealers technicians tell me both the auto door locks and the key to only open the drivers door on one click can be programmed in.  Its booked in for the 21st to be carried out.   My only question is.  Why isnt it standard if all it means is a few minutes on a computer.   Mind I have yet to know if I will be charged for this.  

Auto door lock I like so that would be ok as standard.

However, the other one, I would rather have the choice on that.

See how we are all different, what someone thinks is the bees knees isn’t to another. Someone at Toyota has to make decisions, not easy.

• Like 1

While the dealer has your car you may want to ask them to add the global window open/close with a long press on the key fob. 

Something which is usually standard but not on these cars. 

My local dealer were very helpful and did it straight away for me at no charge when I turned up on the off chance. 

I would also like auto door locking but cannot see it listed in the manual as an option, either dealer activated or self. Perhaps I will check with my dealer if they can do it. 

29 minutes ago, KandS said:

I would also like auto door locking but cannot see it listed in the manual as an option, either dealer activated or self. Perhaps I will check with my dealer if they can do it. 

On 6/6/2021 at 12:16 PM, flash22 said:

It's a dealer level option, iirc it's in the manual

125491912_corolla210lock.thumb.jpg.c38a0bca19c3c1a8255307ac18ed9655.jpg

page 662 onwards

https://d24bc9lyrt5en5.cloudfront.net/Customer-Portal-Admin/emanuals/TOYOTA/OM12P10E.pdf

Column C shows it's a dealer activated option, auto lock feature may only come with an alarm upgrade

A lot of newer cars only come with a shortened manual

Tools like Carista maybe able to set these options, the app is subscription  based for these features

7 hours ago, Jon Ben said:

OK Folks. The latest is that my dealers technicians tell me both the auto door locks and the key to only open the drivers door on one click can be programmed in.  Its booked in for the 21st to be carried out.   My only question is.  Why isnt it standard if all it means is a few minutes on a computer.   Mind I have yet to know if I will be charged for this.  

I will be interested to see how you get on as I miss the auto door lock feature.

I had auto window open/close activated by a dealer for free when I bought my car so you may not get charged.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2021 at 8:47 PM, Jon Ben said:

I think it depends on the model and the key system.   The smart entry system is very different to the normal key operation.   The handbook doesnt give any information on this key other than  the lock and unlock buttons.    The problem is that the configuration across the range is not the same for the UK as it is in Europe etc.   We always get the least bang for our bucks  as they say.  I am told that they are upgrading the GR to smart entry.  I needed the car now.  Not in a few months time. Plus the price will probably go up.

Not sure I'm following this correctly. I have a 1.8 Touring Sport Icon Tech, so not smart entry. When I took delivery all the doors opened on one click. I logged in to MyToyota account, went to the my vehicle option, clicked on the picture of my car, selected vehicle settings and changed the way the doors unlocked. If your GR doesn't have smart entry, then I would expect it to be the same.

52 minutes ago, RabButler said:

Not sure I'm following this correctly. I have a 1.8 Touring Sport Icon Tech, so not smart entry. When I took delivery all the doors opened on one click. I logged in to MyToyota account, went to the my vehicle option, clicked on the picture of my car, selected vehicle settings and changed the way the doors unlocked. If your GR doesn't have smart entry, then I would expect it to be the same.

I couldnt find anything about key settings BUT today I was sat fiddling with the  main display and in Settings/ Vehicle Settings  there is the facility to switch the one press or 2 presses on and off.  So one problem solved.  Now I need the auto door lock to be set up.  I tried to manually lock the doors when I pulled away but nothing happened.   Being in a car with the doors unlocked is a major security situation.  I had it happen to me once.  I stopped at a junction and a hitch hiker opened by passenger door and was about to get in until I showed him the  windscreen smashing tool that I carry in case of being trapped in a crash.  It was enough to deter him.   Since then I have always kept all my doors locked

There is no autolock option in uk/eu.

If i recall it correctly it to due to the safety test legislation. After a crash the doors have to be unlockable from the inside if they have auto locked. As they cannot get a volunteer to   sit inside during a crash test it can't be tested so its not available!

It makes you think what are the statistics of people being locked in cars after a crash vs muggings/hijackings at traffic lights and road junctions

22 minutes ago, PACorolla said:

If i recall it correctly it to due to the safety test legislation. After a crash the doors have to be unlockable from the inside if they have auto locked. As they cannot get a volunteer to   sit inside during a crash test it can't be tested so its not available!

It makes you think what are the statistics of people being locked in cars after a crash vs muggings/hijackings at traffic lights and road junctions

The three i20's we've had, including the current 2020 model, have all had auto locking, and the system unlocks automatically in the event of an impact. Aside from that Euro NCAP testing is actually voluntary, rather than a legal requirement.

47 minutes ago, PACorolla said:

Can you not lock all of the doors Phil from the Driver`s Control Pad, once you are on the move?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, john p williams said:

Can you not lock all of the doors Phil from the Driver`s Control Pad, once you are on the move?

On the drivers side, at the front of the door armrest is the switches for window operations, adjust the 2 door mirrors PLUS a switch to lock/unlock all doors. Do the Corollas not have that?
Also, I thought it would be common knowledge that in the case of a severe impact all door locks have to open (the locks open, not the doors).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Catlover said:

On the drivers side, at the front of the door armrest is the switches for window operations, adjust the 2 door mirrors PLUS a switch to lock/unlock all doors. Do the Corollas not have that?
Also, I thought it would be common knowledge that in the case of a severe impact all door locks have to open (the locks open, not the doors).

Yes the driver can lock them manually but no automatic locking. I was surprised that auto locking not available at drivers discretion. Last 3 Audis i had it was standard but you could disable it.