Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

a/c pulley

peter long

On my avensis tourer 2011/2012 t4d in front of the a/c pulley is a plate which is loose. I cannot tighten it up or unscrew, any thoughts welcome

I think that's just some dampener, some people report loosing it completely, A/C still functions fine without it.

It's supposed to dampen the stop/start cycles of A/C, and make it easier on the pump, or something like that.

Yes it's a cush drive, the pulley spins on a bearing this is held by a wavy snap ring, the shaft from the pump goes through the center

the rubber falls apart over time this can cause the bearing to start to fail, you can usually buy the pulleys on their own (aftermarket)

iirc the plate un screws with a spanner, and you put a hex/Allen key in the end of the shaft to stop it turning - not sure if it's a reverse thread tho

Thanks folk for your responses. The a/c still seems to work ok but I am having it serviced this week because it does'nt cool at the moment, no suprise, it hasn't been serviced for 3 years. I thought the plate might have been to stop the belt coming off. A year ago the plate did fall off, no problems apparent, I screwed it back on but it wouldn't tighten so I tried various things to prevent it coming off again, now it won't unscrew or tighten, just rattles.  The garage back then said they would have to lift the engine to get at it, I would have thought it would be better just to take the unit out. Anyway see what happens this week and thanks all again for your responses.

Pete

The outer plate couples the pulley to the shaft on the pump, I would release the belt and see if the is any play in the bearing you can only tighten the plate down so much as it has a collar and the thread is only so long

let's hope it's not the pump shaft as the pump isn't cheap

pic as an example,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284063366692

The outer plate can some time break away from the inner drive

Thanks, Flash 22, will see if I can loosen the belt and check

i remember in the older Toyota evensis 2.0 d4d u can get a shorter belt do away with the ac. i was  wondering also is it possible to get a shorter belt for the t27 toyota avensis 2.0 d4d with engine code 1adftv 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links