Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuel filler flap

Mr kyn

Hi all 

I have been lucky enough to treat myself to a 2013 auris hybrid, great car and so far loving it☺️

I was wondering if anyone out there could clear something up for me. Every older car I have ever had has had a little metal flap inside the fuel filler neck that the pump pushes out the way. My auris hasn't, it doesn't look like it has ever had and after much googling I couldn't really find a straight answer.

I apologise if this subject has ever been asked before, could someone clear up my confusion 

Many thanks 

Mark

As far as I can ascertain the flap is called a rollover valve and presumably prevents fuel running out if the vehicle rolls over in an accident.

I assume on more modern cars it’s not needed as there are non return valves in the filler neck further down the filler neck I had a 2000 Renault Laguna that had the flap but all of the Toyota’s I owned did not have one.

There is also the opinion that the metal flap or tab in some models, is there to act as an earth preventing static electricity igniting the fuel. 

• Like 1

Ah ok so maybe it has never had one then

2 minutes ago, Mr kyn said:

Ah ok so maybe it has never had one then

Yes, never had one I can confirm that too. 👍

Awesome, that puts my mind at ease, cheers all

I must say though it's a proper awkward car to fill up, clicks off unless the fuel nozzle is at a bit of an angle....then fills up no problem!

22 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

There is also the opinion that the metal flap or tab in some models, is there to act as an earth preventing static electricity igniting the fuel. 

Or prevent stealing the fuel with a piece of hose.

There's no need a rollover valve because the filler cap seals very well with it's gasket and it has a small hole for allowing the air to get in.

My 2016 Auris Excel hybrid hatchback doesn’t have a flap inside the fuel filler hole either. 

I’ve just changed from a 2010 Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI Titanium which DID have a very tight spring flap in the filler neck. It was something to do with preventing you from mis-fuelling at the pumps IIRC. The diesel pump nozzles are bigger than unleaded pump nozzles. My Auris filler hole has quite a big neck opening, and the neck is certainly not snug around the nozzle like the Focus was. I wonder if Toyota have one filler neck for all models. 🤔  I’m not going to shove a diesel pump nozzle in though to see if I can mis-fuel or not! It’s hard enough switching back to unleaded after 7 years of driving a diesel!

Oh, and don’t even get me started on having to remember these things when fuelling up my Auris:

1) The filler flap is on the LEFT hand side of the Auris! 🙄 (Focus was on the right)

2) Pull the filler flap lever BEFORE getting out of the Auris! 🙄 (Focus had nothing and no removable cap either. Just open the flap and fill!)

3) Remember to pick up the GREEN pump, not the black pump! 🤦🏻‍♂️

As I don’t have to fill up as often as the diesel Focus, these “habits” will take longer to break, but I’ll get there. I’ve never mis-fuelled a car yet! 🤞