Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gen 2 catalytic converter - OEM or aftermarket?

cybervic

Hi

My 2007 Prius has had catalytic converter stolen yesterday :unsure:. I've reported to the police but not yet spoken to insurance.

A trusted mechanic friend said it'll cost £650 for a new replacement (£550 parts, £100 labour).  My local Toyota dealer gave an estimate of  £1400-£1800, depending on the damage. 

I have a plan to replace the car in 3-5 years time, I had a quick look on eBay and saw some cheap aftermarket one just under £200.  Like this one for example, it even offers 5 years warranty. I'm wondering if anyone has experience or opinions on these?  

Also, my insurance premium is currently around £350 with 18 years NCD protected. Is there a way to find out how much (or percentage) will my next year premium be if I make a claim through insurance?  

Thanks.

The spurious ones are probably less effective, but certainly less desirable than OEM. The Prius is exempt from MOT emissions testing anyway, aren't they?

47 minutes ago, QuantumFireball said:

The spurious ones are probably less effective, but certainly less desirable than OEM. The Prius is exempt from MOT emissions testing anyway, aren't they?

Our hybrid Auris was mot’d last week, I didn’t see the examiner sticking a probe into the exhaust. However if a cat was missing he would be sure to notice it gone, they have eagle eyes. Some have reported by fitting cheap aftermarket cat converters the car did not run as well, less mpg etc.

• Like 1

I think as long as you don't get something too cheap, you should be fine. My gen 3 one was stolen and I got one, made from BM Catalysts. You may also need the oxygen sensor too 

Make sure you get an anti theft plate too OR a Catloc, and ask Toyota to fit a tilt sensor in for you. Also consider getting dual dashcams. I'm still paying for my Dashcam now at 0% APR buuut I figure I can take it out of this car, and use it in another car should I need to

I think this might be good enough for you? 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Premium-Catalytic-Converter-Oxygen-Lambda-Sensor-for-Prius-1-5-Hybrid-03-09-/153753572492?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

I've bought from the rtgroup before and they're selling a BM catalyst

On 6/7/2021 at 5:40 PM, cybervic said:

Hi

My 2007 Prius has had catalytic converter stolen yesterday :unsure:. I've reported to the police but not yet spoken to insurance.

A trusted mechanic friend said it'll cost £650 for a new replacement (£550 parts, £100 labour).  My local Toyota dealer gave an estimate of  £1400-£1800, depending on the damage. 

I have a plan to replace the car in 3-5 years time, I had a quick look on eBay and saw some cheap aftermarket one just under £200.  Like this one for example, it even offers 5 years warranty. I'm wondering if anyone has experience or opinions on these?  

Also, my insurance premium is currently around £350 with 18 years NCD protected. Is there a way to find out how much (or percentage) will my next year premium be if I make a claim through insurance?  

Thanks.

Given that the rtgroup sell a decent after brand cat for not too much, personally I wouldn't go through insurance unless you want a genuine Toyota one. I have my insurance protected too but insurance is largely very one sided and it you make a claim, your insurance premiums probably shoot up anyway. You could check out a quote for yourself on a car insurance website, seeing how much your insurance would go up if you already had one claim on there (without buying) 

That should give you a ballpark figure 

Thanks for the replies.

@priusnoobWhich dash cam do you have? I'm also interested in getting one. Did you have cat-loc or shield plate? There are several types out there and I wonder which is better. 

7 hours ago, cybervic said:

Thanks for the replies.

@priusnoobWhich dash cam do you have? I'm also interested in getting one. Did you have cat-loc or shield plate? There are several types out there and I wonder which is better. 

I personally have the DRX900-2ch with the Battery and the Vodafone sim card. 

A bit expensive but it's a one time buy. If you haven't bought a cat shield, you may as well get a catloc especially given the relative cheapness of your cat. 

The way I see it, is that a lot of these end up getting sold abroad anyway so marking them like they do with catlocs won't make a huge difference. I did also get Toyota to install a tilt sensor for me too. They won't install after market cats though lol. This being said, I got my cat, oxygen sensor and cat shield from the rt group and they've got a five year warranty