Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tracking RAV4

Mike201

I have a UK RAV4 hybrid 2020 model. I see the Toyota app shows me where my car is parked.  If my car is stolen will I or Toyota be able to find the car in the same way, thereby getting the car back ?  It’s not currently stolen but I just wondered. 

Moved to the Rav4 club.

At present no the car is not live tracked, the car logs its route, driving statistics and final location and uploads these to Toyota when the car is switched off.

Live tracking is a feature being investigated but there is no date as to when or if it becomes available.

Agree there is no live tracking when the car is moving but if your question relates to when the car is stationary and the ignition turned off then I would say yes.  The cars position is uploaded and you would be able to locate the car.  As I understand the issue of many car thefts. they are often stolen then left somewhere to see if they have a tracker fitted.  If this turned out to be the situation then you would be able to turn up with the keys and drive it away.

Hi Ernieb. Yes, that was what I was thinking. Thanks. 

10 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

the car logs its route, driving statistics and final location and uploads these to Toyota when the car is switched off

Out of curiosity, how does the car accomplish this? Is it via the "SOS" SIM, the driver's smartphone or something else?

Does it do this just after the car is switched off? Or when the car is switched back on?

And how does it mange retries after a communications failure?

I ask because a significant proportion of my trips end in my garage and there is pretty much no mobile or any form of radio signal in there! 🙂

@philip42h, as far as I know it’s a Toyota SIM built into the car as part of the tracker.  I’ve tried to find information on this but so far I’ve drawn a blank.  It appears to be available after the car is switched off. I’ve switched off and immediately gone onto the MyT app and the data is there. I assume that the car SIM will log onto network when the car is off but I can not help but think that it’s working all the time so could provide active tracking as has been suggested @Devon Aygo.  I appear to have partially lost one days data and that might have been because of the location.  It would be good to know which network or networks the system uses.  There is an SOS button located near the rear view mirror.

It’s  very early days in my RAV ownership and I’m sure that as time goes on I’d be able to get a firmer idea of reliability and operational limitations. 

I don't tend to look at the App much these days, but when I first had my RAV4 I did find that sometimes the current location was correct, others it showed where it had been parked up to a day earlier.  

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links