Do Not Sell My Personal Information

TPMS sensor leak - advice on removal

Briano

Hi guy’s 

I have what I thought was a slow puncture, but is actually leak between the TPMS valve and the wheel.  I have got a replacement seal kit for the valve, but the nut holding the TPMS valve in does not want to come off easily. Feedback I am getting is that it is fairly likely the valve will break.....

Anyone in this situation before - if they have any suggestions for removal without breaking the valve. I have applied WD40 to see will that loosen things up a bit

Thanks

Brian

I have in the past used a centre punch and hammer at the correct angle to remove stubborn nuts but I haven’t tried on a Tpms as the hex is at the top of the valve and will more than likely break off.

to be honest a new valve or even all 4 aren’t that expensive you might have to get them coded to the car though.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

As expected the TPMS sensor broke trying to remove it.  Just wondering what is the best to update the new sensor to the system. Is tech stream the only option?  I have the ID of both the old and new sensor

Thanks  in advance 

Ack, unlucky. Out of curiosity, how much was the replacement and where did you get it?

Supposedly some smartphone-based ODB2 tools like Carista and Carly are able to code new TPMS sensors, and my owners manual suggests that any decent garage should be able to do it so I don't think Techstream is the only option...?

If your dealer isn't as awful as mine then it might be simple to get them to do it; I can't imagine it's a particularly lengthy procedure, especially if you've already done that hard part of fitting it!

€70 for the valve and €10 for the seal kit......

it was only a small leak approx 5 psi per week.  Could have just kept topping it up.........

maybe this is a good idea if having bother with those things 

2 minutes ago, 2009joe said:

maybe this is a good idea if having bother with those things the bottom video is a handy job also to take off the tpm sensor if faulty