Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Where is the spring that ensures clutch pedal free travel on 2016 Aygo ?

George Barrie

My Aygo drives well with no clutch noises or slip.  There is no free travel but the pedal can be lifted by hand about 20mm against a spring pressure ,and immediately goes back to no free travel when let go. It would seem that the spring, wherever it is, is fitted wrong ?.  Efforts to adjust at the cable as recommended has had no effect. So my question is; what does return the Mod edit pedal to free play. ?

barrie.

In one of my previous car (1999 Fiat Uno if I remember correctly) I was able to lift the pedal as high as possible. Such action did not affect its functionality.

On 6/8/2021 at 8:01 PM, George Barrie said:

Clutch

On further examination of the Drivers side foot well pedal area I have found that a stretch tension coil spring is fitted that pulls the clutch pedal to a position of no pedal free travel.  In my opinion this clearly should not happen as its tension ensures that the thrust bearing is in contact with the clutch cover fingers all the time, which is incorrect surely.  I have had qualified mechanics check and they cannot explain it.  Another point to make, is that the "stretch tension spring "fitted serves no other purpose; so I am back to my earlier question; where should this spring be fitted.  Is there any Toyota Mech that can please help.

It's a cable clutch not hydraulic, it's not an issue if the clutch and pedal stop is correctly adjusted

i will have to look up the MO

On 6/8/2021 at 8:01 PM, George Barrie said:

Thank you flash22, But by hand lifting the clutch pedal against the spring I refer to, the pedal travels 20mm. when it hits the stop. which equates exactly to the recommended free travel.  I am aware the clutch is cable operated but still mystified by why this spring is fitted where it is ??

• 1 year later...

George Barrie did you get an answer or resolution to this? Because I have exactly the same question on my 2016 petrol Citroen C1 which has I believe the same engine and transmission. Under the bonnet the clutch actuator arm is sprung in the direction of cable pull - like you I have been looking for a missing or broken clutch return spring as I always believed that a cable clutch should have no pressure on the release bearing.

The return spring is part of the pedal, free play is in the cable, the clutch is manually adjusted

the throw out bearing is not engaged, so has no pressure on it. the setup is not a typical fork/arm on a ball pivot, it uses a clutch arm/splined post and short release lever.

Have a look at the pic's of this auction

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403542440512

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links