Do Not Sell My Personal Information

C-HR real world MPG

AndyRC

Hi.

We are considering a new C-HR for the everyday duties and was looking at the latest GR Sport version. I asked the salesman what to expect MPG wise and was quite shocked/pleasantly surprised when he said 60-65 mpg for the 2.0l and around 70mpg for the 1.8l. That is quite a bit above what I’d expected, was the sales guy being “optimistic”?  What do owners genuinely get from their C-HR?

Thanks 

Andy 

Hi Andy

From Parkers Website - The 1.8-litre hybrid is the best performer, with claims of between 54.3-57.6mpg, while the 2.0-litre unit claims 49.5-53.2mpg.

Thanks for that , I thought the numbers were “optimistic”. I’m generally light footed so interested in what owners are seeing. My driving tends to be either very short runs of 2/3 miles around town or out for the day on A/B roads. 

25 minutes ago, AndyRC said:

Hi.

We are considering a new C-HR for the everyday duties and was looking at the latest GR Sport version. I asked the salesman what to expect MPG wise and was quite shocked/pleasantly surprised when he said 60-65 mpg for the 2.0l and around 70mpg for the 1.8l. That is quite a bit above what I’d expected, was the sales guy being “optimistic”?  What do owners genuinely get from their C-HR?

Thanks 

Andy 

Hi, 

that’s definitely very optimistic especially for the 2.0 version, more like 50+ mpg in summer and around 45+ in winter but all depends how you drive and where, in towns and B roads hybrids are more efficient than motorway high speeds . 1.8 will be 10 mpg more than the 2.0 version. Anything around 50-55mpg expected real world are good figures. 1.8 is best for efficiency especially if you use it in town mostly, it’s also lighter than 2.0 car. , where the 2.0 is faster on acceleration and has better performance on motorways.. best to try both version before you purchase. 
Regards 👍

• Like 1

Thanks Tony. An average of 45/50 mpg would be more than acceptable. I’m definitely going to give them both a try. We don’t do a lot of MWay driving mainly around town or A/B roads for the day out. 

• Thanks 1

Legally car manufacturers, dealers and salespeople have to quote the official WLTP fuel consumption figures and shouldn't be quoting anything else - hence the optimistic information given.

You can have a look at websites such as Parkers, Honest John Real MPG, etc to get an idea of real world consumption.

I get well over 80 mpg on a 10 mile + run in a 1.8 when the weather is warm (like now) but it would drop to about 50-60 mph in the winter months and it's not so good on motorway journeys. I've found fuel consumption is better in the C-HR than it was in our 2 old Auris 1.8's. I will add I'm a slow and careful driver😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bazbell said:

I get well over 80 mpg on a 10 mile + run in a 1.8 when the weather is warm (like now) but it would drop to about 50-60 mph in the winter months and it's not so good on motorway journeys. I've found fuel consumption is better in the C-HR than it was in our 2 old Auris 1.8's. I will add I'm a slow and careful driver😉

Every next generation Toyota hybrids are more efficient than the previous ones, a new 5th gen hybrid drivetrain and a new Prius are around the corner somewhere about 2023 , perhaps larger Battery and more electric power and range. 🙂👍🔋

A plug in Hybrid with a Battery range of 20/30 miles would suit a lot of commuters, a Battery of that size could also be charged at home on a 13amp socket over night quite easily if you didn’t want the expense of a home charging point. Isn’t this plug in already available on the Prius? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AndyRC said:

A plug in Hybrid with a battery range of 20/30 miles would suit a lot of commuters, a battery of that size could also be charged at home on a 13amp socket over night quite easily if you didn’t want the expense of a home charging point. Isn’t this plug in already available on the Prius? 

Prius plus yes, the idea of self-charging hybrid I believe can be extended without going into the Prius plus field, similar to what we have now only fill up with petrol but even mote efficient set up., larger Battery, less total weight of the car, more efficient petrol engine. 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

Prius plus yes

No. The Prius Plus was the seven seater MPV - production ended in 2020. The PHEV is the Prius Plug in.

3 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Prius plus yes, the idea of self-charging hybrid I believe can be extended without going into the Prius plus field, similar to what we have now only fill up with petrol but even mote efficient set up., larger battery, less total weight of the car, more efficient petrol engine. 👍

We could easily do 80% of miles on electric charge with a 20/30 mile range , longest journey we regularly do is around 230 miles one way, with the ability to charge when we arrive. 

Does anyone know the science as to why a bigger wheel diameter reduces fuel consumption? The overall wheel &tyre  diameter does not vary significantly as wheel diameter increases , tyre profile decreases keeping things equal. Bigger alloy does not necessarily equate to more weight , I’ve seen 19 inch oem alloys weigh slightly less than the same design 18inch oem.   I can see how a larger overall mass (wheel and tyre) will decrease MPG but not why a 17 inch will be better than a 19 inch if overall diameter and weight are equal. 🤔

14 minutes ago, AndyRC said:

Does anyone know the science as to why a bigger wheel diameter reduces fuel consumption? The overall wheel &tyre  diameter does not vary significantly as wheel diameter increases , tyre profile decreases keeping things equal. Bigger alloy does not necessarily equate to more weight , I’ve seen 19 inch oem alloys weigh slightly less than the same design 18inch oem.   I can see how a larger overall mass (wheel and tyre) will decrease MPG but not why a 17 inch will be better than a 19 inch if overall diameter and weight are equal. 🤔

It’s probably because the smaller wheels and higher tyre wall in practice when turning is deforming and it’s reducing its wheel circumference, doing so becomes smaller diameter, easier to rotate, it’s easier to rotate more air than more solid mass is the second reason perhaps. The difference in practice it’s nor so big, the wider tyres may reduce efficiency more than the narrower ones. 👍

3 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

No. The Prius Plus was the seven seater MPV - production ended in 2020. The PHEV is the Prius Plug in.

Oops, you are right 👍 sorry not plus,  plug in I meant. 

9 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

It’s probably because the smaller wheels and higher tyre wall in practice when turning is deforming and it’s reducing its wheel circumference, doing so becomes smaller diameter, easier to rotate, it’s easier to rotate more air than more solid mass is the second reason perhaps. The difference in practice it’s nor so big, the wider tyres may reduce efficiency more than the narrower ones. 👍

As a cyclist I get that the reduction in total wheel  mass , a lighter wheels&tyre is a LOT easier to accelerate and maintain a constant speed compared to a heavier set up.   What I don’t get is why a 17 inch wheel tyre combo of equivalent weight and diameter would be worse than a 19 inch combo 🤔

35 minutes ago, AndyRC said:

As a cyclist I get that the reduction in total wheel  mass , a lighter wheels&tyre is a LOT easier to accelerate and maintain a constant speed compared to a heavier set up.   What I don’t get is why a 17 inch wheel tyre combo of equivalent weight and diameter would be worse than a 19 inch combo 🤔

I think it’s because the 17” set flexes more than the 19” set. 

As well as the above, the lower profile tyre with with a wider contact patch will have an inferior coefficient of drag.  A small difference, but still sometimes quoted in the brochure specs for a specific car.

For example; Lexus CT200h with 15" wheels - Cd = 0.27

With all other wheels Cd = 0.28.  

Splitting hairs here, but the Cd is actually probably the same, the Cd x (frontal) Area is a bigger number - the car presents a wider frontal area.  Most people don't talk about CdA, just Cd, probably for simplicity.  The CdA of a wider wheel will be worse.  At least that's how I see it.

Also as the fuel consumption figure improves, a small change in the fuel burnt makes a big difference to the mpg number!

As in, the difference between 20 mpg and 30 mpg is a lot of fuel (in terms of cm3, fl.oz etc).  The difference between 60 mpg and 70 mpg is much smaller amount of extra fuel burned. 

I seem to remember a few years back, that an average mpg for a large lorry is around 9 mpg, but a lorry achieving 9.9 mpg is really worth talking about - it's a big difference!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

I think it’s because the 17” set flexes more than the 19” set. 

I can understand how a larger tyre wall will deflect more but can’t see the connection to mpg🤔

...Thinking about this further, a tyre with a higher profile carcass is more likely to accommodate the non-parallel alignment (toe-in) of the front and back wheels, which will be present, within the tyre body itself, where as a lower profile tyre, with it's inherent greater rigidity, will not, causing a higher rolling resistance as it slightly scrubs.

Not seen that idea before, perhaps someone has seen if that is an actual phenomenon?

There must be a logical answer to this question but at the moment I can’t see it, or understand why on a like for like basis , eg total weight , width, rolling diameter, ET, contact patch etc why a 17 inch set up gives better mpg than a 18/19:set up 🤔

3 hours ago, AndyRC said:

We could easily do 80% of miles on electric charge with a 20/30 mile range , longest journey we regularly do is around 230 miles one way, with the ability to charge when we arrive. 

6 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

3 hours ago, AndyRC said:

We got both an Prius+ 2017 standard HSD/Hybrid and an Prius PHV Plug In 2018 and, we have driven our Prius+ for 2,5 years and in all seasons and when I´ve checked fuel consumption at pump, using "Fuelio" app it says our Prius+ has consumed  average 5.03 L /100 km ( about 56.16 mpg I think)

Qite nice I think.

Our Prius PHV Plug In 2018 consumes even less and we have been able to drive 73% on pure EV.

There is moore to read abot that car here -

Thoughts after two months with our Prius 2018 PHV - Prius Club - Toyota Owners Club - Toyota Forum

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HSDish said:

3 hours ago, AndyRC said:

We got both an Prius+ 2017 standard HSD/Hybrid and an Prius PHV Plug In 2018 and, we have driven our Prius+ for 2,5 years and in all seasons and when I´ve checked fuel consumption at pump, using "Fuelio" app it says our Prius+ has consumed  average 5.03 L /100 km ( about 56.16 mpg I think)

Qite nice I think.

Our Prius PHV Plug In 2018 consumes even less and we have been able to drive 73% on pure EV.

There is moore to read abot that car here -

Thoughts after two months with our Prius 2018 PHV - Prius Club - Toyota Owners Club - Toyota Forum

Some impressive mpg  figures. PHEV with a reasonable range on Battery make sense for a lot of people and still give the ability to do long journeys without having to worry about charging.  I wonder if Toyota will offer a bigger Battery option on the C-HR ?