Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Catloc problems

Chug1

Had my cat almost stolen but interrupted thieves but not before  they had done a lot of damage. It was replaced under insurance and had a catloc fitted by Toyota at the time.    The issue I now have is ground clearance the plate is hitting speed bumps all the time. The design is not fit for purpose and my concern is for damage to the chassis because   it is bolted to that. Toyota should recall before the cars are more seriously damaged.

Your the first I have heard having a problem with catloc and speed bumps. How many other owners do you know that are having the same problem.  When you took the problem back to the dealer who fitted the Catloc what have they done.?????
I have a Gen4 Prius with a plate fitted, albeit not a Catloc, and I have no problems, even though I think the Gen4 is slightly lower to the ground then a Gen3.

Fitted aftermarket bought from independent trader of eBay hand made plate that does the job perfectly without any complications, diy fitted and cost less than £40. 👍

Recalls will only occur for safety issues. 

So have you taken it back to where the Catloc was fitted??

Moved to the Prius club.

the catloc was fitted by the main dealer here together with a tilt alarm. I did speak to them after it was done because the the bolts that protrude through the plate had made a big gouge in the pavement outside the parking space at our house. They did say prius taxi drivers were having problems with speed bumps if  the cars were carrying passengers. Also had a discussion about changing the low profile tyres to the bigger tyres to gain a bit of hight but apparently that invalidates insurance etc. Found out from tyre people that you can't mess with the rolling radius. There are 3 rows of bolts securing the plate and I think it is the back ones taking the impact because the seem to be the most worn. Thankyou for your responses maybe  I will contact them again. Clearance at the moment is 5 1/2 inches.

My Prius, albeit Gen4 but I think lower then a Gen3, has not grounded on speed humps. I can only suspect not been fitted properly, and that is not Toyotas fault.

2 hours ago, Chug1 said:

I did speak to them after it was done because the the bolts that protrude through the plate had made a big gouge in the pavement outside the parking space at our house.

It might help to compare your gen3 fitment to any similar gen3 Prius ones, if you can, by taking a photograph or three of the installation and posting them on here.

A few owners of Catloc-equipped Aurises have had similar problems, but not quite as bad as yours.  Every genuine Toyota-supplied Catloc will be designed for a specific car model, so comparisons across different models is only of limited use.

The genuine items are quite substantial, and a have very different set of attachment points compared to the popular generic devices from eBay etc.  In this ground clearance situation, the more shallow eBay ones win by using a much simpler design.  As to which type is the better deterrent or protection remains to be seen.

I imagine the noise when yours grounds must be horrendous, whenever anything grounds out, it always does, even if it turns out to be something that isn't particularly serious!

I can't see why the protruding excess bolt thread (you mention) on the mounting bolts can't the removed by the dealer.  It wouldn't take them very long.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links