Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steering knocking sound

fc919

Hello, I just noticed a knocking noise when moving the steering wheel very slightly. It only happens when the car is stationary or when making small adjustments in stop start traffic. I checked the tie rods but everything seems normal, no issues from the suspension either. Is this normal behaviour? It will only happen once then stop, then again after moving the wheel from my normal driving position after some time. Many thanks in advance for your help. 

Some clicks are acceptable but will depend how much, previously Toyota has issues with power steering column on various models, Prius Auris, Avensis, etc. Not sure if the  new models has something similar. If it’s too bad better to check with dealer or another similar car for comparison. 

• 1 month later...

Hi TonyHSD, thank you for your response. I think it gets quite bad during warmer weather. I did ask the dealership to look at it but they couldn't replicate it possibly because it was much cooler that day? Anyone else suffering from this issue? Some research online suggests that it could be a greasing issue or a problem with the intermediate steering shaft. Many thanks again

• 4 weeks later...

There have been issues with bolt coming loose between column and intermediate shaft. Not particularly on CHR, but other Toyota products. They replace bolt.

Worth checking tightness if you have the tools and can access them.