Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2021v1 Map Update now available

bigblock

Just a heads up for those of you who want the latest map update. It's another 12gb download like the previous one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

And what a palaver it was as usual. The billing summary form seems to have a mind of its own. The telephone numbers default to +32 xx xx xx xx and it took me four or five attempts before it finally accepted my number. I think it needs +44 on the front but who knows, really?

And now it's impossible to find a download link.

Update: Found it. It's under 'inactive purchases'. God above!

And I have to confirm T&Cs again! J H *****!

I've posted this before: Toyota need to get someone competent to sort out their stupid eStore. Has the designer never experience a proper eCommerce site?

• Like 2

Ah well, at least we get an invoice. We learn that 20% VAT on nothing is nothing.

• Haha 2

What a dreadful site MyToyota is - I can't believe I'm the only one finding it a hard one to navigate! I agree with Andrue that someone competent is needed to sort it out. 

It is currently experiencing some problems so I can't get the update - I've been going round in circles for the past 10 minutes. Oh well, I will just have to try again another day. 

• Like 2

Download OTA direct to car works ok. Just select up date and let it go. 

OTA update done just 30-35 minutes. 

Available since March. 

19 hours ago, AndrueC said:

I've posted this before: Toyota need to get someone competent to sort out their stupid eStore. Has the designer never experience a proper eCommerce site?

Really, it is an awful experience! It explains a lot about why Toyota in-car tech gets such terrible customer reviews in surveys of car owners. Could this be about to change? Interesting article in US auto mag Jalopnik the other day about what's coming from Toyota and Lexus re in-car tech and especially the user experience:

https://jalopnik.com/lexus-and-toyota-want-you-to-know-that-you-dont-need-ap-1847084552

19 hours ago, Ian.S said:

Download OTA direct to car works ok. Just select up date and let it go. 

Yeah, I'll have to do this. Tried twice to download the 12.2 gig zip file to the PC, nearly complete when up popped 'failed - network error'. I remember getting that last year with the 2020 update. You need serious patience to do this!

I went to the trouble of using the awkward store interface and then realised my USB stick was at work, so I tried the OTA update.

That went OK, once i'd figured out how to get online, but it is only 190MB, so does anybody know what am I getting with the OTA update?

Answering my own question, it said at the end, GB/IE.

Edited by camellia30
Answering my own question
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, PaulDM said:

Available since March. 

Really?  It was due about then but as the previous one had been delayed I wasn't worried.  I had checked a few times last month too. 

So, how are we supposed to find out?  My car was serviced on the 1st and had a Battery change at the end of April but nothing from the garage. 

Other than chance, is there an official way to get a notification? 

I am not sure how Auto Update would work as I don't routinely sit in the car in the garage with power on. 

• Like 1

Given that they know how to send us a pointless invoice by email you'd think they could send us an email when an update becomes available. Then again, after you've used their eStore you can perhaps understand why it doesn't happen. Lack of competence and what appears to be an attempt to dissuade us from bothering at all.

Camellia, thanks for the reminder that you need the USB update for Europe.  It remains to be seen if it will let me.

3 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Other than chance, is there an official way to get a notification? 

I am not sure how Auto Update would work as I don't routinely sit in the car in the garage with power on. 

My Toyota website

1 hour ago, AndrueC said:

Given that they know how to send us a pointless invoice by email you'd think they could send us an email when an update becomes available. Then again, after you've used their eStore you can perhaps understand why it doesn't happen. Lack of competence and what appears to be an attempt to dissuade us from bothering at all.

Interesting approach 

10 hours ago, PaulDM said:

My Toyota website

Paul, if that be the case then it is not the best way when they could push it at you.  I have been on the web site looking for an update and not found it nor has it registered when I checked in the Map Update in the car.  

I just checked the website and the map update is where i expected to find it.  Remembering what Carnellia had said about the download being 'quick' with OTA and was GB&I only I expected that there may be more to download.  Instead I was told I had already purchased the map.  Have I updated the whole of Europe?  

How can I check?

Just done my first short trip after the update.  I see it tells me I have the GB & I update.  When I look at MyToyota there is no option for downloading European mapping as I have already have the latest mapping - Grr!

First impressions of the update: the roads display appears to be finer than the previous version.  The purple breadcrumbs also appear to have been dropped.  There is however an add camera icon bottom righthand corner of the screen.

7 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Paul, if that be the case then it is not the best way when they could push it at you.  I have been on the web site looking for an update and not found it nor has it registered when I checked in the Map Update in the car.  

I just checked the website and the map update is where i expected to find it.  Remembering what Carnellia had said about the download being 'quick' with OTA and was GB&I only I expected that there may be more to download.  Instead I was told I had already purchased the map.  Have I updated the whole of Europe?  

How can I check?

Login to myToyota. Click on “maps and apps” it will be listed there. ABBB419A-DE26-41D2-81B5-F58D0908B2CE.thumb.png.8475d834e2439546ca9e9c80212e9fe8.png

Paul, not quite. It states Map Update - enjoy using the detailed map for Europe.  The car however states explicitly GB&I.  If I try and download the update again it tells me You have already purchased this product.

The question remains, how do you get the European updates?

21 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Paul, not quite. It states Map Update - enjoy using the detailed map for Europe.  The car however states explicitly GB&I.  If I try and download the update again it tells me You have already purchased this product.

The question remains, how do you get the European updates?

Sorry. Mine covers Europe… never had a separate gb&i 

Well my maps do cover Europe but the question is whether the updates also include Europe.  The updates state explicitly GB&I. I have asked Toyota.

Mine came up on the screen asking if i wanted to install a new map update (~200Mb), so i answered yes and it installed it OTA via data from my phone. I then looked at the map updates bit through the car and it stated:

Map DB version 2020 v2

2021 v1 region GB,IE

I then logged into MyToyota on my PC, went to the e-store and looked under purchases and choose 2021 v1 Map Update (~12.5Gb) and downloaded to a memory stick, plugged into USB port by centre console and left car in 'READY' and approx 65 mins later it was installed.

Now when i look at the map updates bit, it states only 'Map DB version 2021 v1'.

From my experience, it looks like the OTA updates are purely regional, if you want full Europe it has to be done via MyToyota website e-store. Just as well as i wouldn't want to do 12.5Gb through my phone.

Think you have to make sure your SatNav is registered on your MyToyota account as well?

It worked exactly the same when i bought the Corolla in February and updated to 2020 V2. 

• Thanks 1

Roy; did you get an email invoice confirming your "purchase"?
Mine says: 2021 v1 Map Update.
With luck yours will say something similar and is probably the full package.

It sounds to me like the update probably *does* cover everything but when you do an OTA install it's just the smaller download that only updates GB&IE.

I would expect there to be a full 12GB+ download available to you in your Purchases area. That whopper needs to be downloaded to your PC and put on a USB stick for the full UK + European install. As expected that whole procedure takes around 65 mins.
When done the Software update screen says: navdb_version : 2021 v1
No mention of GB&IE so almost certainly the full package.

• Thanks 1

It really is a stumble website.  First run through came up with zilch.  Second time it worked. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links