Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2021v1 Map Update now available

bigblock

Well, my first map update .. I've used a TomTom in my previous vehicles. From reading this forum I was prepared for a long slog. As it's my first real dealing with the Corolla, first of all I had to sign up to MyT. At one stage it asked for the Version from the V5C, 6 characters it said. My version is 14 characters, with a hypen in the middle. I tried the first 6, failed. I tried the second 6, failed again. I then tried the first 7, passed!? I then had to verify the car to the site .. failed. Eventually after 3 attempts it passed.
Then I had to register the sat nav, but first I had to find the version of it. Eventually found it and all ok. Then the maps .. after 5 failed attempts to download to the PC I finally managed to receive the whole file. It failed in the same place 5 times with 'file unreadable' after 9GB downloaded. Transferring to mwmory stick, no problem. Then updating the car, no problem but both time consuming.

As PaulDM mentioned that the map update had been available since March and I collected my vehicle in late April, I wondered if it had already been updated. I guess MyT would tell me if I had already had a map I tried to download?

Velvet Glove, I followed Dobs advice,  I had previously checked purchases but I think there is more that one route.  The third time I tried I then found it.  The straight OTA update is clearly limited to GB&I.

50p I also had problems downloading but I think that is my elderly laptop rather than their server.  As your car was delivered a month after the update I think it is a racing certainty that it was not incorporated.  My car came with 2019 mapping and when I spoke with Toyota I was assured it was up to date.  Only later did I discover it had not been updated.

Just remember, if you buy a new computer you might spend two days updating software that was supposedly new.

As for USB Sticks, I have lots.  I have one in use as a backup device; it is 1 Tb.  The rest are of all different sizes but I can't even find ONE! Thanks to Amazon I have a 32Gb arriving tomorrow.

I downloaded the latest map to a USB, but as 50p said installing it in the car is not straight forward so soon gave up.  However I managed to connect the car to the household Wi-Fi and then it was fairly easy to download the map, took about 45 minutes start to finish.

Downloaded to PC. Then to USB stick. Plugged USB into vehicle. 1 hour 15mins later a successful update to 2021v1. I started this topic because I had not seen the new map update on My Toyota untill last weekend. And I have been checking regularly as it's come a little later this time round. I don't understand that it's been available since March on the My Toyota website.

4 minutes ago, bigblock said:

Downloaded to PC. Then to USB stick. Plugged USB into vehicle. 1 hour 15mins later a successful update to 2021v1. I started this topic because I had not seen the new map update on My Toyota untill last weekend. And I have been checking regularly as it's come a little later this time round. I don't understand that it's been available since March on the My Toyota website.

Sorry my Bad. May. Files are dated 29th April

On 6/14/2021 at 7:27 PM, Dobs said:

From my experience, it looks like the OTA updates are purely regional, if you want full Europe it has to be done via MyToyota website e-store.

Yes, that's how it is - when you run the 12-gig download from the USB in the car, you can select which countries' maps you want installed using the 'Select by country' feature that appears during the setup. So you don't have to install every single Europe map if you don't want to. The point is, you can choose which ones.

Instructions screenshot:

ToyotaMap-2021-06-16_16-57-05.thumb.png.5fa12999bd161e126406c741efd66bfa.png

2 hours ago, Luke717 said:

Yes, that's how it is - when you run the 12-gig download from the USB in the car, you can select which countries' maps you want installed using the 'Select by country' feature that appears during the setup. So you don't have to install every single Europe map if you don't want to. The point is, you can choose which ones.

Instructions screenshot:

ToyotaMap-2021-06-16_16-57-05.thumb.png.5fa12999bd161e126406c741efd66bfa.png

Not on the latest version of the head unit. You get no choice now to just download UK so you get stuck with a 1 1/2 hour update. 

46 minutes ago, PaulDM said:

Not on the latest version of the head unit. You get no choice now to just download UK so you get stuck with a 1 1/2 hour update. 

Well that's not good to hear! I've not yet managed to install the update after three attempts during this week where each time, the USB content doesn't actually initiate the setup process. No idea what the problem is. I'll chat to the dealer on Friday morning when my car goes in for its first service although my experience of the dealer is that they know less than I do about installing software in the car.

When I did the 2020 v2 update last year, I got the choices option to choose which maps to install or update.

A 1.5-hour update sounds like it's the whole West Europe maps setup - Toyota says UK only is about 20 mins.

13 minutes ago, Luke717 said:

Well that's not good to hear! I've not yet managed to install the update after three attempts during this week where each time, the USB content doesn't actually initiate the setup process. No idea what the problem is. I'll chat to the dealer on Friday morning when my car goes in for its first service although my experience of the dealer is that they know less than I do about installing software in the car.

When I did the 2020 v2 update last year, I got the choices option to choose which maps to install or update.

A 1.5-hour update sounds like it's the whole West Europe maps setup - Toyota says UK only is about 20 mins.

I think your 2020 has a slightly different software revision. As you have Apple car play capability. And yes it is the whole of Europe 😞

8 minutes ago, PaulDM said:

As you have Apple car play capability.

And Android Auto which I use for navigation much more than the built-in nav system. Far better.

• Like 1

I've installed map updates four times now on my 2019 Design hatchback (no Apple/Android here). All have been with a USB stick and I have never been given any choice in what was installed. It would seem to be all or nothing, unless I've missed something blindingly obvious.

• Like 2

You get the choice when you do the download onto the usb stick, not at the in-car update. You do need to copy the FMU folder to the stick. Did mine this morning on a 2020 TS with Apple CarPlay. 

I might be missing a trick but I have downloaded the 12 gb file but have problems loading it to the USB stick.  My system tries to unzip it and then reports unknown compression system.

If I try and copy the ZIP file of 12Gb it tells me that the 28Gb free space on USB Pen is not enough.  I have formatted the USB drive several times.  I tried to copy to a different pen drive with 89Gb free,  same problem.  

I use a MacBook and everything just happens automatically. Unfortunately I am years out of for PCs. I seem to remember something about unzipping requirements in the download/install instructions on the Toyota tech. Run website but can’t rennet where. 

Roy; try unzipping the download file to your PC hard drive first. You should end up with an FMU folder which contains four files. Once decompressed you then copy that folder to the USB stick. That should then work when plugged into the car.

9 hours ago, Velvet--Glove said:

Roy; try unzipping the download file to your PC hard drive first. You should end up with an FMU folder which contains four files. Once decompressed you then copy that folder to the USB stick. That should then work when plugged into the car.

And remember. The stick must be MBR Not GUI with 16Gb max partition size with no space allocated for the rest of the usb and Fat32 formatted. 

15 hours ago, Velvet--Glove said:

This showed me my error that resulted in 3 attempts to update during this week, none of which worked. I'd copied the update files from the zip file to the USB root, instead of copying the FMU folder with the files to the USB root.

Just over an hour from start to finish. I then unplugged the USB drive, the car rebooted the system and all is good.

It would be nice to know what's changed with this update other than the obvious (maps!). I don't believe Toyota publishes a change log. I've seen people asking about this in this forum from time to time and I've looked online, but nothing.

Update-start-20210617_140119.jpg

Update-finish-20210617_151143.jpg

7 hours ago, PaulDM said:

And remember. The stick must be MBR Not GUI with 16Gb max partition size with no space allocated for the rest of the usb and Fat32 formatted. 

No the problem continually arises during the decompression.  94_1 and 94_2 are unpacked. 94_3 is the first that reports unknow compression system and at that point the process fails.

It starts to look like a different unzip process.  I am trying a different program.

Bingo.  Google gave the clue, I downloaded the 21 day trial version of WinZip and got the files transferred to the USB Stick.

Now working but I was on the point of aborting as it took an absolute age validating the files.  My screen looks like Luke's above. I haven't seen the an option to reduce the update to, say Benelux and Germany. Velvet Glove seems to confirm that it is all or nothing.

Paul, my USB drive came with security software.  I deleted that and formatted.  The drive is not partitioned and is a 32Gb drive with 28Gb (?) and that does not seem to present a problem.

3 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Bingo.  Google gave the clue, I downloaded the 21 day trial version of WinZip and got the files transferred to the USB Stick.

Now working but I was on the point of aborting as it took an absolute age validating the files.  My screen looks like Luke's above. I haven't seen the an option to reduce the update to, say Benelux and Germany. Velvet Glove seems to confirm that it is all or nothing.

Paul, my USB drive came with security software.  I deleted that and formatted.  The drive is not partitioned and is a 32Gb drive with 28Gb (?) and that does not seem to present a problem.

I’m glad that works on your unit. On my 2019 head unit it doesn’t recognise anything over 16gb

1ADFB99B-3E63-4CC6-AF25-D66C6A7706D4.jpeg

Did a bit more digging.  I was using PowerDesk9 as my archiving, that seems to have been the problem. WinZip25 worked but so, it seems, will Windows Explorer.  Simply highlighting the file and then selecting Windows Explorer as the file to open (unpack) the zip enabled me to coy directly the the USB Pen.

On 6/17/2021 at 3:28 PM, Luke717 said:

This showed me my error that resulted in 3 attempts to update during this week, none of which worked. I'd copied the update files from the zip file to the USB root, instead of copying the FMU folder with the files to the USB root.

Just over an hour from start to finish. I then unplugged the USB drive, the car rebooted the system and all is good.

It would be nice to know what's changed with this update other than the obvious (maps!). I don't believe Toyota publishes a change log. I've seen people asking about this in this forum from time to time and I've looked online, but nothing.

Update-start-20210617_140119.jpg

Update-finish-20210617_151143.jpg

Spring 2021 release notes https://mapupdatecontent.toyota-europe.com/Documents/Map release/Spring 2021/T%26G_T2%26G_MapUpdateNotes_Spring2021_HR.pdf

• Like 2

I had a very helpful response from MyToyota on free Unzip programs that will work with the Map Updates:

Here is the list of free zip file programs:
- WinRAR.
- Ashampoo Zip.
- 7-zip.
- jZip.
- PeaZip.
- B1 Free Archiver.
- IZArc.

Several times now since installing the update the car hasn't known where it is. This morning it took it ten minutes to work out that I was on the A422 heading toward Banbury.

I have no cameras showing on the map now, anybody else?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links