Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Different 'grades' of Corolla

FiestaRed

WOW!  WOW!  WOW!

I'm sat here wondering why I've been driving manual cars for so long. I had my test drive this morning and was a bit concerned about driving an automatic for the first time. Making it even worse the salesman just gave me the car and said I'll see you in 20 minutes. All I can say is I'm really impressed, not only with the car but how relaxing an automatic is to drive.

My only problem now is having to decide between the 'grades' that are available. It has to be a Sports Tourer and I was originally thinking of the Design grade. Now having seen the GR Sports I can't make my mind up. Any help or views about the differences in two 'grades' would really be appreciated. The dealership did mention the Design was a bit more comfortable.

13 minutes ago, FiestaRed said:

WOW!  WOW!  WOW!

I'm sat here wondering why I've been driving manual cars for so long. I had my test drive this morning and was a bit concerned about driving an automatic for the first time. Making it even worse the salesman just gave me the car and said I'll see you in 20 minutes. All I can say is I'm really impressed, not only with the car but how relaxing an automatic is to drive.

My only problem now is having to decide between the 'grades' that are available. It has to be a Sports Tourer and I was originally thinking of the Design grade. Now having seen the GR Sports I can't make my mind up. Any help or views about the differences in two 'grades' would really be appreciated. The dealership did mention the Design was a bit more comfortable.

Welcome into the Kingdom of Hybrid you former sinner!😊

Smaller wheels and higher Tyre profile give a more comfortable ride.

Sports will be firmer than you might want. You must try each Grade if you are investing your own money and put your health and common sense before all goodies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My first Toyota hybrid was the Auris the wife has, 17” wheels. Second hybrid was a Gen3 Prius, 17” wheels.  Then I started to hear 17” wheels gave a harder ride, and I got thinking at my age I want a comfier ride. I loved the hybrids so much I decided to get the Gen4 and I wanted leather interior, JBL sound system and Hypersonic Red. The Excel was the only model that I could get that, and standard wheels were….. 17”.                              
So I started looking round for a used Prius in that spec. Like looking for hens teeth.  UNTIL I found one in Solihull, 100 miles from where I live. So went down to Solihull, there was this lovely red Prius with leather seats and JBL sound AND sat on 15” wheels. It was an Excel with 15” wheels. I sorted a trade in deal and got it the following week.                             
The ride on 15” is so much comfier, get more mpg and replacement tyres are cheaper.                       
So test to ensure you get what you want from the car.  And do make sure the model you buy has all the toys you can’t live without.

ps Toyota still sell the Prius in the uk, and a PHEV version (petrol hybrid electric vehicle) which goes about 38 miles on a charge then the hybrid system kicks in ideal for shorter journeys, many folk on do journeys less then 40 miles return, infrequently doing more, so very fuel efficient.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On the corolla front grades are Icon, Icon Teck, Design, Excel, GR And TREK.

GR sport has sport bodykit and 18 inch wheels plus equipment same as Design.

Believe Excel is highest grade.

Toyota Corolla Specifications & Prices | carwow

I like the trek model as lighter interior seats. Icon Teck is all you really need and smaller wheels. Available in 1.8 and 2 litre engines. I also like the colour scarlet flare or denim blue.

James.👍

• Like 2

Hi, if I pick a Corolla will probably be a trek or design with 17” wheels which suits the car best, even 16” are good looking and probably most efficient and comfortable but not available on these two grades. The trek wins over even design as comes with smart entry and automatic tailgate, these two extras are really useful. 👍

• Like 1

I had similar thoughts when deciding which grade TS to go for. Was all set on Excel as I wanted the pan roof and nicer LED lights but really didn’t want full leather seats. In the end I went for a GR Sport after seeing one in the metal. The subtle difference in the body kit, the sportier looking seats, black 18” wheels, HUD and 3D effect digital display were enough to go without the pan roof and nicer looking lights. 

Manual cars are cheaper to buy, outlast the automatic in terms of reliability, are easier/cheaper to repair if something goes wrong and have more acceleration.

I had the same problem with the Mk4 - Only comes with 16 or 17 inch rims in this country, and if you want the HUD you are stuck with 17"s.

I knew you could get 15" rims in other countries, but had a right heck of a time trying to get specs or even a part number as my typically useless local dealers were unable to help until I thought to ask PartsKing and he got me it straight away! (Thank you again!)

I'm still waiting for a booking slot as annoyingly the parts only arrived recently as they apparently had to special order them from the continent, and now they're booked solid for the next 2 weeks...!

I really don't understand what Toyota GB's thinking is - Why would anyone who bought a hybrid want bigger rims when they make the car worse in every way? (Acceleration - Worse, Braking - Worse, and the main desire of most prospective hybrid owners; MPG - Worse!!) The sort of people who'd want stupidly low-profile tyres would never buy a Hybrid - They'd get the GR4!

As for the automatic thing, I generally dislike automatics, but the hybrids don't drive like automatics... Well, my Mk4 at least, drives more like an EV (Admitted with a very growly angry sounding engine!). Then again I am getting old... 😄

It's funny but everyone seems to slate hybrids for reliability, saying things like complex and there're two engines to go wrong etc., but they are consistently more reliable than normal cars and even EVs, so go figure...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Biomecanoid said:

Manual cars are cheaper to buy, outlast the automatic in terms of reliability, are easier/cheaper to repair if something goes wrong and have more acceleration.

"outlast the automatic in terms of reliability"

In my view this statement is untrue and I would like to know where it comes from.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I had the same problem with the Mk4 - Only comes with 16 or 17 inch rims in this country, and if you want the HUD you are stuck with 17"s.

I knew you could get 15" rims in other countries, but had a right heck of a time trying to get specs or even a part number as my typically useless local dealers were unable to help until I thought to ask PartsKing and he got me it straight away! (Thank you again!)

I'm still waiting for a booking slot as annoyingly the parts only arrived recently as they apparently had to special order them from the continent, and now they're booked solid for the next 2 weeks...!

I really don't understand what Toyota GB's thinking is - Why would anyone who bought a hybrid want bigger rims when they make the car worse in every way? (Acceleration - Worse, Braking - Worse, and the main desire of most prospective hybrid owners; MPG - Worse!!) The sort of people who'd want stupidly low-profile tyres would never buy a Hybrid - They'd get the GR4!

As for the automatic thing, I generally dislike automatics, but the hybrids don't drive like automatics... Well, my Mk4 at least, drives more like an EV (Admitted with a very growly angry sounding engine!). Then again I am getting old... 😄

It's funny but everyone seems to slate hybrids for reliability, saying things like complex and there're two engines to go wrong etc., but they are consistently more reliable than normal cars and even EVs, so go figure...

Well said Moo. The Toyota Hybrid Transmission is unsurpassed for reliability.

• Like 2

Well it was definitely a thing 10-ish years ago? I remember we had loads of Yaris and Aygo people with MMT problems to the point where everyone was saying avoid them!

Then there's early CVTs and dry-double-clutch boxes, those were awful too.

But in all fairness the modern autobox has com a long way. Still wouldn't get one given a choice, but not really an option these days if you want a long-termer! I feel like the GR Yaris will be one of the last cars designed with a proper manual box as everything transitions to hybrid and EV...

11 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I think I correct that your 1.5 Yaris is a 3 cylinder, and by its nature will growl nicely, as does the 3 cylinder Aygo/C1/107.  

3 minutes ago, john p williams said:

"outlast the automatic in terms of reliability"

In my view this statement is untrue and I would like to know where it comes from.

Simpler design tested decades before the automatic appeared, not run by a computer that can go crazy. Almost all manufacturers can make a reliable standard transmission but that's not true for automatics.

Automatics are essential only some supercars that have dual clutch to prepare the next shift or weird transmissions setups that you would not be able to use manually. Also automatics are essential or hybrids that have dual input transmission.

The only Hybrid I know that can be paired with a manual transmission are Hondas because the electric part of the vehicle is attached on the engine and not on the transmission like Toyota is doing.

On normal vehicles manual is always the best option.

20 minutes ago, Biomecanoid said:

When you get to know the Toyota hybrids and it’s history over the past 20+ years you will come to know that the hybrid auto is nothing like other auto boxes.  And there are Prius on the road with 200,000miles and even 300k miles on the clock, and still running.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Catlover said:

When you get to know the Toyota hybrids and it’s history over the past 20+ years you will come to know that the hybrid auto is nothing like other auto boxes.  And there are Prius on the road with 200,000miles and even 300k miles on the clock, and still running.

In Toyota hybrids you don't have a choice because the transmission has dual inputs one from the electric motor one from the engine, you can not run that manually. In that aspect I prefer the Honda design better with the motor attached to the engine

1 minute ago, Biomecanoid said:

The only Hybrid I know that can be paired with a manual transmission are Hondas because the electric part of the vehicle is attached on the engine and not on the transmission like Toyota is doing.

But the Honda hybrid is vastly different to the Toyota hybrid system.

The Toyota system acts like a EV at times, then assists engine power at other times, then again at times the engine drives the wheels.  With the Honda the electric motor assists the engine.  Like what is called mild hybrid on a lot of hybrids today.  Because of the system Toyota it has a record of very good mpg.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Catlover said:

I think I correct that your 1.5 Yaris is a 3 cylinder, and by its nature will growl nicely, as does the 3 cylinder Aygo/C1/107.  

Yeah, it's loud AF and I love it 😄  I never liked the Mk3 because it had to rev so much with such little result, but they've made the Mk4's much more vocal and it doesn't just rev up, the car moves in tandem with it. It's really nice!

I was comparing it with a friend and his Auris (Now on 3rd Cat... :cursing:) and it is hilarious how quiet the Auris' 1.8 4-pot is compared to the Mk4s 3-pot. You can barely tell when the 4-pot starts up but the 3-pot reminds me of my old D4D! 😄

The Mk4 has a lot more character, very un-Yarisy; I can only assume this is the effect of Toyoda's No More Boring Cars directive, and I thank the pants off him for it!!

Ugh nooo, the honda hybrid system sucked hard... even they knew it! The one in the new Jazz is practically a copy of Toyota's HSD and it's way better than the crappy old IMA system they had before.

To be fair I felt even the Toyota HSD sucked until these new ones they're putting on the TNGA platform - The mpgs were on the better side of what a petrol engine was capable of, but you had to drive them efficiently and they were still nowhere near even my 20-year old Yaris D4D! I was so disappointed with the Yaris Mk3 hybrid when it came out (Rated at 83mpg, real world was low-mid 50's! And it was awful if you wanted to make it shift or even just go up a hill with people in it!).

Now they're finally getting to the point where they are at least on-par with my old D4D's mpg on average - Rated in the high 60's, which I am actually getting despite driving slightly like a hooligan, and when I actually try to drive efficiently I've managed to exceed the WLTP rating and get it nearly to the 80's!! That's pretty awesome in a car you can beat almost everyone off the line with :naughty: (Except those pesky EV drivers... the roads are chock full of Model 3's around my work areas!! Where are people getting all this money from??)

(Seriously tho', how long does it take for the novelty to wear off and I'll stop launching the car off at the lights? I can't stop myself! I may need help...)

Thanks for all the help and advice, really appreciated.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Catlover said:

But the Honda hybrid is vastly different to the Toyota hybrid system.

The Toyota system acts like a EV at times, then assists engine power at other times, then again at times the engine drives the wheels.  With the Honda the electric motor assists the engine.  Like what is called mild hybrid on a lot of hybrids today.  Because of the system Toyota it has a record of very good mpg.

That sounds like their old system. Their new system uses the electric motor most of the time (with the Battery being charged by the engine) the engine only directly drives the wheels at high speed. It's a curious choice but from talking to my old friends on the Jazz forum it appears that it works very well.

I had three Jazz and all with their excellent CVT gear box.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

That sounds like their old system. Their new system uses the electric motor most of the time (with the battery being charged by the engine) the engine only takes over at high speed.

And that sounds a lot more like the now defunct Vauxhall Ampera, except when the Battery was exhausted the engine ran to charge the Battery. I never yet seen an Ampera, it looks a real nice car and I seen good reviews of it.

Toyota has the best transmission since 2010 hybrids , eCVT it’s an evolution of the automatic transmission that has all failure points eliminated, can eventually only suffer from worn out bearings after high mileage but that manual transmission will do too. Driving experience is like full ev, no other manufacturer come close and no one else does hybrids better than them. Currently there is no better engine or transmission offered from other makers and that alone sends Toyota ahead of all. Only electric cars, but Toyota has nothing to offer in that field yet. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Biomecanoid said:

Simpler design tested decades before the automatic appeared, not run by a computer that can go crazy. Almost all manufacturers can make a reliable standard transmission but that's not true for automatics.

Automatics are essential only some supercars that have dual clutch to prepare the next shift or weird transmissions setups that you would not be able to use manually. Also automatics are essential or hybrids that have dual input transmission.

On normal vehicles manual is always the best option.

In the context of Toyota Hybrid Transmissions your statement is prehistoric.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Toyota has the best transmission since 2010 hybrids , eCVT it’s an evolution of the automatic transmission that has all failure points eliminated, can eventually only suffer from worn out bearings after high mileage but that manual transmission will do too. Driving experience is like full ev, no other manufacturer come close and no one else does hybrids better than them. Currently there is no better engine or transmission offered from other makers and that alone sends Toyota ahead of all. Only electric cars, but Toyota has nothing to offer in that field yet. 

YET, we know it’s on its way, or should I say “their” on the way as it will be a few in a shortish period of time. And if they get the new Battery that can be charged in 10 minutes that would be a big step forward.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, john p williams said:

In the context of Toyota Hybrid Transmissions your statement is prehistoric.

What is better than a Toyota automatic transmission ? a Toyota manual transmission. People nowadays prefer to do less in every aspect of their life not just in driving in the sake of "convenience".

In the context of Toyota Hybrid Transmissions you can not have a manual transmission even if you wanted due to the dual input of the hybrid transmission. Prehistoric is often better, its tested, true and more reliable than modern alternatives since it pre-existed by decades and has all bugs removed.

Automatic transmission has its uses in scenarios that a manual is not feasible like in the way Toyota makes hybrids. In cars were a manual transmission is offered as an option, the car will be cheaper to buy, easier/cheaper to repair, and have more acceleration than the automatic version on the same car.

What are the advantages of an automatic transmission in a non hybrid car offered both in auto and manual apart from compensating for people that can't be bothered to shift ?