Do Not Sell My Personal Information

0w8 oil for Yaris Mk 4

hairyarris

I anticipate an oil change in the next fortnight. The manual recommends 0W8 and that is what I intend to use. What are other MK4 owners using? The only brand in the market appears to be Motul (as advertised here) - no Mobil or Castrol. Anyone know anything about this brand? Will call Toyota to ask where we can find their own brand 0W8 but wondered what alternatives there are.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, it’s a brand new car best to use Toyota oem and service at main dealer for warranty purpose. 👍

Motul is a French company that has been going since the 1950's at least.

Are you planning to service the car yourself?

If you do you may be taking yourself away from Toyotas new warranty scheme which can now go up to 10 years, it’s called Relax, check it out.

TBH, I've always bought my oil from the dealer directly ever since I had to use 0w20 in the old car - They were selling the Toyota branded oil for 3/4 to half the price of other brands from e.g. Opie Oils, even less if I bought a service kit from them!!

Hoping I won't need it so much in the Mk4 - The Mk2 was consuming a litre a month!!

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

TBH, I've always bought my oil from the dealer directly ever since I had to use 0w20 in the old car - They were selling the Toyota branded oil for 3/4 to half the price of other brands from e.g. opie oils, even less if I bought a service kit from them!!

Hoping I won't need it so much in the Mk4 - The Mk2 was consuming a litre a month!!

Ok, these are completely different cars and technology, only the names are the same. I don’t think you should worry about oil consumption with this new car. If you planning to service yourself brand new car nothing wrong with it but warranty might be affected in case you may wish to make any claims in future if you get unlucky and the car develop some faults. If it’s me I will stick with Toyota yearly service and benefit from the relax warranty cover. Motul in general offer a quality oils and products. 👍

As I said I was only getting the oil to top up that PoS Mk2 because it was consuming so much oil (I sometimes wonder if it would have turned out different if I'd listened to madasafish and got the 5-speed, instead of the 6 speed!! But I wanted that £30 tax...) - Not expecting to with the Mk4, although I'm still checking it every fortnight - Frankly. given it's barely done 1k miles, if it uses any noticeable oil within say 6 months I'll be worried!!

Deffo gonna be servicing it at the dealer, mainly for the warranty as you say, but I am going to miss the Silver and Gold servicing pricing that the dealer was still honouring! (One of the few positive things I can say about Jemca!)

It's going to be a right pain to schedule tho' as I do a fair bit more than 10k miles a year and both Toyota and the dealer were adamant, when I asked, that if I even went a mile over per year the warranty could be voided! The car even has a mileage countdown until the next service!

• 6 months later...

The new Yaris use direct injection only engines.  We do not know how fast the carbon built up on the intake valves will develop.  I will stick with the shop with VAT for oil change with 0W-8.  You can buy Toyota 0W-8 Oil from online seller either Toyota or Motul and it won't void any warranty.  You should consider how much the cost difference first.  I am only worry with the problem during 3 years period.  After 3 years, we have no choice but use Toyota dealership annual maintenance marked-up price.   I think UK dealership are better than Germany that bump the price up from about €220-€240 per year to €360-€440 per year, and €430 per 2 years (+ unecessary brake fluid flush) to €500-640 per 2 years.  

With estimation cost for cleaning intake manifold and intake valve about €500 in Germany, I think I will still do my own oil change after 3 years and do hybrid service check alone for the Battery warranty after 5th year/60k miles if  I have new Yaris. The rest of hybrid system has 5 years/60k miles warranty. 

At this moment, I do this way on m Auris 2016 with annual hybrid system check €32.

• Like 1

Small correction - Only the non-hybrid Yaris is direct injection; The hybrid is only port injection.

• Like 2

My take is - new Yaris is covered by 3 year warranty from new. This means having you car serviced by Toyota is a choice. Regardless, within 3 years, car is covered - providing servicing is carried out to recommended specs. Receipts also need to be kept.

After the 3 years is up, it’s a different call. To extend warranty, you have to have car serviced with Toyota. Previously, I bought extended warranties and serviced elsewhere. Not an option any longer. Although this covered you for 10 years, think the cost of using dealers will far outweigh the extended warranty and independent servicing costs I used to pay.

Toyota trying to squeeze every last drop out it’s consumers!

34 minutes ago, Starensis said:

Although this covered you for 10 years, think the cost of using dealers will far outweigh the extended warranty and independent servicing costs I used to pay.

Can you clarify ? It is not clear to me whether you think it's a good deal or a bad deal. Although, your last sentence seems to indicate it is a bad deal.

37 minutes ago, Starensis said:

My take is - new Yaris is covered by 3 year warranty from new. This means having you car serviced by Toyota is a choice. Regardless, within 3 years, car is covered - providing servicing is carried out to recommended specs. Receipts also need to be kept.

After the 3 years is up, it’s a different call. To extend warranty, you have to have car serviced with Toyota. Previously, I bought extended warranties and serviced elsewhere. Not an option any longer. Although this covered you for 10 years, think the cost of using dealers will far outweigh the extended warranty and independent servicing costs I used to pay.

Toyota trying to squeeze every last drop out it’s consumers!

Basically that is what every  busines tries to do, at least Toyota give value for your money and many people appreciate it.  And its a customer choice too.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stopeter44 said:

Can you clarify ? It is not clear to me whether you think it's a good deal or a bad deal. Although, your last sentence seems to indicate it is a bad deal.

I was OK with the extended warranty option tbh. I like my servicing carried out by someone who I know and trust. Extended warranty also included 2 years Roadside assistance and MoT costs.

4 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Basically that is what every  busines tries to do, at least Toyota give value for your money and many people appreciate it.  And its a customer choice too.

I’m sure it is value v other manufacturers, but the removal of 5 year warranty and extended warranty option is a step towards pulling more into the servicing trap. I personally don’t trust any dealer to service or repair my cars. Then again, I’m a bit anal regarding quality and customer service.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Starensis said:

After the 3 years is up, it’s a different call. To extend warranty, you have to have car serviced with Toyota. Previously, I bought extended warranties and serviced elsewhere. Not an option any longer.

With extended warranties companies may stipulate where the vehicle is serviced, as extended warranties are not covered by Block Exemption regulations. In the case of the Toyota purchased extended warranty, for the warranty to remain valid, it was a condition of the extended warranty that the vehicle be serviced within the Toyota dealer network. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Starensis said:

I’m sure it is value v other manufacturers, but the removal of 5 year warranty and extended warranty option is a step towards pulling more into the servicing trap. I personally don’t trust any dealer to service or repair my cars. Then again, I’m a bit anal regarding quality and customer service.

I can see your POV. In France there never was the 5 year warranty and the extended warranties don't now look like they, err, warrant attention (couldn't resist). My dealership suggested that about 2 to 2 1/2 years into the warranty period it was with taking out a long term service plan with them (well, they would, wouldn't they, you can say). TBH this was about the time the Relax program was released, and I think they were basing their answer on their experience up until then. The local dealer appears to be trustworthy, the feedback I have had from other Toyota owners around here suggests that.

Before buying our Yaris, we were thinking about the extended service plan (5yrs) which included the extended warranty. 

4 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

With extended warranties companies may stipulate where the vehicle is serviced, as extended warranties are not covered by Block Exemption regulations. In the case of the Toyota purchased extended warranty, for the warranty to remain valid, it was a condition of the extended warranty that the vehicle be serviced within the Toyota dealer network. 

Yes. My last experience of dealer servicing was with Lexus. Fortunately, I knew the service manager so he was aware of my insistence on doing it right. Also had decent discounts.

Not the same with Toyota yet, but working on service manager relationships in a couple of dealers, so may use them at some point. Not had great experiences with a couple of Toyota dealers to-date.

9 minutes ago, Stopeter44 said:

I can see your POV. In France there never was the 5 year warranty and the extended warranties don't now look like they, err, warrant attention (couldn't resist). My dealership suggested that about 2 to 2 1/2 years into the warranty period it was with taking out a long term service plan with them (well, they would, wouldn't they, you can say). TBH this was about the time the Relax program was released, and I think they were basing their answer on their experience up until then. The local dealer appears to be trustworthy, the feedback I have had from other Toyota owners around here suggests that.

Before buying our Yaris, we were thinking about the extended service plan (5yrs) which included the extended warranty. 

Not sure buying a service plan with new Yaris is value. You get 3 years warranty anyway. Service elsewhere at lower cost, then look at a plan after 3 years? My opinion only.

I’ve also got first service included with purchase.

2 minutes ago, Starensis said:

I’ve also got first service included with purchase.

Excellent, I never thought to ask.

No, buying a service plan was not recommended by the dealer on the new car, but before the warranty had less than 6 months to run. We shall see. The service costs appear to be significantly less than PSA prices (1st service Toyota c. 200€ vs 250€(2016) for PSA).

1 hour ago, Stopeter44 said:

No, buying a service plan was not recommended by the dealer on the new car, but before the warranty had less than 6 months to run. We shall see. The service costs appear to be significantly less than PSA prices (1st service Toyota c. 200€ vs 250€(2016) for PSA).

I just go in with ott requests ( 3 years servicing, free packs, Dashcam etc ) then see where we get to. My wife cringes when I’m negotiating on a car.

19 minutes ago, Starensis said:

I just go in with ott requests ( 3 years servicing, free packs, dashcam etc ) then see where we get to. My wife cringes when I’m negotiating on a car.

Don't ask, don't get. They don't have to give you any of what you ask for, and I believe you have to prepared to walk away.

Done that a few times…..

3 hours ago, Stopeter44 said:

€200 is cheap, like the old day price.  Only the first 3 years you can go to independence mechanics for maintenance and still covered under warranty. After 3 years, i prefer change the oil at my home and do it more often like every 6 months and still safe some money.  If I want to sell it, I can just go to Toyota dealership for annual maintenance and automatically the relax warranty is On.  I know more about my car than any mechanics and in the past 20 years, 4 of my Toyotas never have problems in its first 10 years anyway. The common wearing parts like rubber bushing, shocks, rubber boot, brake pads are not under warranty anyway. Brake disc is under warranty but it is really cheap price and aftermarket with Zn coat are better.   For hybrid, Battery is the only thing i am worry but 15 years unlimited miles for €32 per year is still worthwhile.  The Battery rarely fail before that period if we live in mild weather. 

• Like 1

Can we please return to the topic subject - which is 0W-8 oil for Yaris Mk 4 - rather than continuing to digress towards servicing and warranty..

• Like 1

Currently only Motul 0W8 besides Toyota 0w8 that is certified ASE J300. I have not found any other brands yet. Hopefully Ravenol offer it soon.