Do Not Sell My Personal Information

EV switch?

Wooster

I'm thinking of buying a 2018 Auris Icon Tech.  (Currently drive a 2010 Prius TSpirit.) Does the Auris have an EV switch?  If it doesn't, can one be fitted?

All hybrids do, but you know you can’t really drive long in ev only 😉👍🔋

My 2016 Auris Excel hybrid hatchback does.  One of a bank of three switches near the gear selector:

EV mode        ECO mode       PWR mode

754CBF0C-C1E0-4CE9-A08E-2E2B6425C26C.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

you can’t really drive long in ev only

TonyHSD - yes I know, this will be my 3rd Toyota hybrid!  I've used it primarily to back the car out of the garage - to free garage space.  I've not wanted the ICE to start up, only for me to switch it off 20 seconds later.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DaddyBaddy said:

One of a bank of three switches near the gear selector:

DaddyBaddy - thanks for this.  I took it for a test drive yesterday and didn't fully absorb all the controls.

The EV button is the most useless button in my Mk4 - Every time I've tried it it either says EV Battery insufficient charge or that I'm going too fast :laugh:

Have any of you Mk4 owners ever used the EV button successfully???

10 minutes ago, Cyker said:

The EV button is the most useless button in my Mk4 - Every time I've tried it it either says EV battery insufficient charge or that I'm going too fast :laugh:

Have any of you Mk4 owners ever used the EV button successfully???

What do you call successful. In my Prius, which will have a bigger hybrid Battery then your Yaris, I have managed about 1.5 mile keeping to 30mph max. Slower you go the longer the Battery power will last. If you want do what a true electrical car does then you going to have to change to an electric car.  To do anything decent in EV mode you need a lot of bars on the Battery gauge and know what the drop out speed is ie the max speed you can go on electric before the ICE kicks in. It’s because of all the above that a hybrid does good mpg in city runs, slow speed keeps it in EV mode, when the battery depletes it charges up again and off you go on EV again. If you have enough bars, if you just want to move the car off the road to your drive, for example, then you got the means of doing it without starting the ICE.

• Like 1

By successful I mean has any other, specifically Yaris Mk4 Hybrid, owner gotten the EV button to do something other than essentially say Computer says Nooo :laugh:

I know people with the bigger NiMH batteries in older cars have used it, but I think with the 0.7kWh Li-Ion Battery in the Mk4 it's a bit... optimistic.

TBH I'd not use it much anyway - The only reason I'd want to use it is to sneak back into my road in the wee hours of the morning to avoid disturbing the whole street, but the Mk4 makes a godawful whining noise (aka the Acoustic Vehicle Alert System) that you can't turn off when it's running on the leccy motor alone, so it's a bit moot. I do envy the Stealth Mode you lot get in the earlier hybrids! :laugh:

21 minutes ago, Catlover said:

What do you call successful. In my Prius, which will have a bigger hybrid battery then your Yaris, I have managed about 1.5 mile keeping to 30mph max. Slower you go the longer the battery power will last. If you want do what a true electrical car does then you going to have to change to an electric car.  To do anything decent in EV mode you need a lot of bars on the battery gauge and know what the drop out speed is ie the max speed you can go on electric before the ICE kicks in. It’s because of all the above that a hybrid does good mpg in city runs, slow speed keeps it in EV mode, when the battery depletes it charges up again and off you go on EV again. If you have enough bars, if you just want to move the car off the road to your drive, for example, then you got the means of doing it without starting the ICE.

@Catlover Mine can manage around 1.5 to 2 miles in EV mode on my daily commute before the ICE kicks in. The conditions have to be optimal though (e.g. hybrid battery charge, outside temperature, light traffic flow, flat road, 25-30mph constant speed, cruise control on). It’s surprising given the ideal conditions how far you can actually get in EV mode. And the last half mile from the main road down my cul-de-sac to my driveway is always in EV mode. Respect thy neighbour. 👍🏻

• Like 1

I like the ev button, and I managed to get many different messages on screen , probably all for what and why the car refuses to go into it but I don’t care just keep pressing and eventually will accept your request 😉😂 part of the Toyota hybrid system experience 🚘👌

Battery is full all bars up then ice kicks in and displays “ev mode deactivated, following by ev mode currently not available, ice still running the car moves slowly at 10-15mph, if you wait the ice to shuts off then you can drive in ev only 

EV mode not available , excessive speed 

ev mode not available Battery too low 

but yes for what op said I agreed and I use it sometimes for the same purpose. I also found that if you start the car and select immediately N and let the car fee roll the ice will not start until you select D R or P. , you can let the car moves a bit as required in N then turn off the ignition and the car goes into P automatically and no ice was used.