Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mud Flaps: Good? Bad? Or Ugly?

DaddyBaddy

Mud Flaps: Good? Bad? Or Ugly?

These are genuine Toyota mud flaps on my 2016 Auris Excel hybrid hatchback with 17” alloy wheels and 225/45 R17 tyres. Note that the mud flaps are exactly the same width as the cross section of the tyre, and look well matched and neat when fitted. Discreet looking, but practical too. They certainly protect the door sills, but do they take away from the Auris’s looks? Or do they enhance it?

B6D19D13-95E3-418C-9817-E7C12D3E6BB3.jpeg

BF61602D-4E1E-4656-9070-35F056C121BA.jpeg

E0725446-4255-4B52-90FB-0E676B61B5E2.jpeg

F294B9B8-8BA7-44B5-99D1-D4C9B5B939E7.jpeg

Let me know below. 

Tbh, these together with the door stuff looks ugly but they are there for protection and they do exactly that, it’s up to you but if it’s me I will probably keep them. 

• Like 1

Keep them. I have them on my Prius Excel and I think they look fine. Mor importantly, they do a job well.

• Like 1

Mud flaps look better on trucks. Just my opinion.

• Haha 1

They do a good job but for us with older cars I'd suggest periodically taking them off to clean up behind them to avoid corrosion. Lots of muck had built up on mine when I bought it.

45 minutes ago, MrZardoz said:

They do a good job but for us with older cars I'd suggest periodically taking them off to clean up behind them to avoid corrosion. Lots of muck had built up on mine when I bought it.

I had that happen on my last car. Took the mud flaps off. The grit and general road grime that was behind them had started abrading the paintwork. Corrosion eventually followed a few years after the mud flaps were removed. 🙄

37 minutes ago, DaddyBaddy said:

I had that happen on my last car. Took the mud flaps off. The grit and general road grime that was behind them had started abrading the paintwork. Corrosion eventually followed a few years after the mud flaps were removed. 🙄

I regularly hose out the wheelarches to reduce/prevent the build up of road dirt

• Like 2

All it ever did on my corolla was stop spraying the car behind on a rainy day on the motorways....I've noticed other drivers tend to get too close behind you. With out mud guard, they keep their distance as they don't want muck on their screen, so my Auris doesn't have one. 😃

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roks said:

All it ever did on my corolla was stop spraying the car behind on a rainy day on the motorways....I've noticed other drivers tend to get too close behind you. With out mud guard, they keep their distance as they don't want muck on their screen, so my Auris doesn't have one. 😃

If that helps I will be happy to remove even the rear bumper, 😀just to keep tailgaters far behind 👌👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

If that helps I will be happy

Only in the wet road or loose chippings...dont remove the bumper though 😂

• Thanks 1

On 6/15/2021 at 5:28 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

I regularly hose out the wheelarches to reduce/prevent the build up of road dirt

I do the same Mike, but use a dedicated (bent)underbody pressure washer lance. The water pressure is greatly reduced. Used in winter for washing off the salt from underneath.

I find it is excellent for removing the build up from behind mudflaps and elsewhere without the full 110 bar of the pressure washer.

• 1 month later...

I decided in the end to remove my mud flaps. I sold them to another Auris owner. 

I also removed my side mouldings for a cleaner look.

I am happy with how my car looks now. 👍🏻

• Like 1