Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Parking in garage

FiestaRed

Please excuse another basic question but being new to automatics, things take a bit of time to sink in. In my Astra Sports Tourer when I put the car in the garage I just put the manual gearbox into neutral and leave the parking brake off. I've always done this so as not to put any strain on the braking system. The floor is very flat so no rolling.

When parking what will be my new automatic in the garage, what would be the best position for the shift lever to be in, or doesn't it matter on an automatic?

Any automatic should be left in Park when you get out of it, but it would be OK to leave the handbrake off whilst in the garage as the Park position locks the transmission so it cannot roll away.

Thanks for the help Kevin, really appreciated.

Always in park, The parking pawl in the transaxle (not gearbox!) locks against the ring gear to stop car rolling. Handbrake comes on too. 

Mine only just fits in my garage - about 5 inches to spare! 

unusual to hear people still use their garage to keep the car in!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gray86 said:

Always in park, The parking pawl in the transaxle (not gearbox!) locks against the ring gear to stop car rolling. Handbrake comes on too. 

Mine only just fits in my garage - about 5 inches to spare! 

Yeah mine is a tight fit. I had to remove a shelf rack at the far end so that I can get her far enough in for the front door to clear a side pillar otherwise I wouldn't be able to get out. I also have to fold the mirrors. In theory she'd clear the door pillars without but it'd be a matter of millimetres.

And of course the racket she makes as I drive her in...

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, 50p said:

unusual to hear people still use their garage to keep the car in!

I know! Keeps it cleaner, rubber seals don’t deteriorate as quickly, and you don’t need to defrost it in winter. I love my garage! 

• Like 4

Also good for protecting catalytic convertors too.

• Like 6

Another garage fan here, but also find it a close fit for the Corolla. Precision parking is a must have skill!

I love having a cool car to get into in summer and a frost free start in winter. Reassuringly more secure too. 

I am definitely the oddball in my road, though. Nobody else uses their garage for their car around here! 😅

• Like 5

Same here, always garaged. Problem for me is a new Corolla will not fit. A Carina II and a Carina E fitted (that was a big car in its day) and so to an original Audi A4 but the Corolla is bigger than both these.

I always leave the handbrake off (its a manual) and the car rolls out with a slight push on the rear wheel from the heel of a foot. It pushes back in easily to.

It seems house / garage builders still think we drive around in Austin A35s! Showing my age here 😁

• Like 2

Always seems strange to leave umpteen thousands of pounds worth of car on the drive and lock a tenners worth of **** in the garage 🤔

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, KandS said:

Always seems strange to leave umpteen thousands of pounds worth of car on the drive and lock a tenners worth of **** in the garage 🤔

even worse around here, they park in the road. Don't use their garage or driveway

My builder ensured the garage was large enough for his Landrover Discovery.  Tight fit for my Mercedes E Class estate , plenty of space for the Corolla, work bench, racking, and a mini work bench.  A good size garage was not negotiable when were look for a new home.  As fast as we unpacked my wife unloaded yet more c**p into the garage, mainly Christmas decorations.  To you and me they might be eminently binable and replaceable on a house move.  not these, 'heirlooms' collected over the years.  As fast as I cleared a space more stuff appeaed.  A shed gave some respite but until I floored the garage loft it was a fine run thing.  Next home a garage loft will also be a desirable item. 

As far as not leaving the car in Park, forget it.  It will not switch off while the shift if not in Park.   

I'm thinking of moving house in a couple of years. To my 'retirement bungalow'. As well being near a golf course it needs to have a decent sized garage. I don't think I'm going to want to be contorting to get in the way I currently have to in twenty years time 😕

Mind you I also don't think I'm going to want such a low-slung car as the Corolla by then either.

And remember you need to consider an electric charging point though if you go hydrogen that won't be a problem. 

We looked at a Manor house conversion and cars would be in a car park. They had made no provision for charging, either 12v or drive batteries. 

I have no problem getting my Yaris in the garage, which also has a workbench, floor shelving and a 1968 Lambretta!  No on else near me uses their garage to park their cars!