Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brake discs and pads

rushy45

Had my auris in to Toyota today for full service, when picking back up the service manager informs me my brake discs and pads are 80% worn and need replacing within 6 months, surprised at this as my car had only done 23,000 miles, expected a longer life than that, will cost over £550, thought at least the discs should last much longer, does this sound normal.

Hi, brake discs and pads wear out due to two factors: from been used a lot as general wear or from not been used enough and serviced regularly., rusty and stuck. Perhaps you have the second factor involved in the process. Best to seek a second opinion from another garage and to tell you if they are really worn out or just need overhaul, cleaning and lubricating. 
Regards 

I've done around 77k and the front pads and discs are genuinely unworn to look at. No detectable wear ridge on the disc. I'd have to measure it but the pad material looks to be around 8mm... it looks just the same as when new to me.

The rear pads were replaced this February although they were certainly not down to the wire. The garage said they might be getting thin if I put as many miles on the clock as in the previous year although I suspect I would have got another 10k from them with ease.

• Like 1

As Tony suggests, a second opinion would definitely be beneficial. 

£550 + sounds expensive too (depending on if it's front only or front + rear and what make of brakes they would use). 

Regards

• Like 1

That price is a joke, i doubt they are that worn unless your using it as a race car, Autos can be heavy on the front brakes, can you take a pic of the discs ??

Another reason i hate Main Stealers, the upsell

At worst in may need a set of pads

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HS78 said:

As Tony suggests, a second opinion would definitely be beneficial. 

£550 + sounds expensive too (depending on if it's front only or front + rear and what make of brakes they would use). 

Regards

The £550 is for both front and back, the front about £20 dearer than back, say they both need doing.

I would like to see a picture of their report and a picture of your brakes.

My Toyota dealer takes photographs of anything they deem needs some attention, even if it’s for something in the future (perhaps before next service/mot).

i changed the front discs and pads on our auris hybrid for £115

40 - 60 minutes to complete the job so worth doing it yourself

and save a fortune

• Like 1

I changed all four discs and the pads on my car, I paid only £90 for all the parts, yes ninety.  At the same time, I had all the calipers sand blasted and painted (for free)

I also replaced all the flexi hoses and repaired three brake pipes.

Total cost of parts, about £120.

Cost of labour, £0.

Not everyone has the time, expertise, tools etc. to change their own discs, pads and avoid any outsourced labour costs.

As suggested, get a second opinion and quotes from a recommended independent garage.

Why are you still using and paying excessively, for main stealer servicing, on an eight years old car?

And at 23000 miles it would appear the car is not used that much, which could contribute greatly to the wear. 3000 miles/annum average.

C94FF3FE-69EB-44E4-960D-C8F897503785.thumb.jpeg.ba96281b7113fd6eefe555b4f14ac8df.jpeg
I used to be able to do these type of jobs, am now 75 and creaking quite a bit,

here is a pic of what they gave me back.. £285 for front, £270 for the back,  noticed it does not say discs worn on back but still say I need them, like I say should not be needing discs at 23000 miles. 

4 minutes ago, rushy45 said:

C94FF3FE-69EB-44E4-960D-C8F897503785.thumb.jpeg.ba96281b7113fd6eefe555b4f14ac8df.jpeg
I used to be able to do these type of jobs, am now 75 and creaking quite a bit,

here is a pic of what they gave me back.. £285 for front, £270 for the back,  noticed it does not say discs worn on back but still say I need them, like I say should not be needing discs at 23000 miles. 

Hi, can you take some pictures of the front and rear discs including callipers and share with us? We may be able to tell more. How did they determined the percentage of wear if they have dismantled and measured is beyond me. 👍

Also wondered.. you now get a 1 year manufacturers warranty as a sweetener  for having a service at main dealer, if I had the brakes renewed at local garage would it void my warranty, should not as it’s a consumable item and not covered by warranty. 

This is what concerns me about the new Toyota 1 year warranty extension after a service. 

Will advisory work start to increase for customers? If the work isn't carried out then the 1 year warranty will be void? 

Hopefully Toyota won't turn into a business where you take your car in for a service but come out needing a complete set of new brakes, Wiper Blades, tyres etc even when they are not necessarily required. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HS78 said:

Hopefully Toyota won't turn into a business where you take your car in for a service but come out needing a complete set of new brakes, wiper blades, tyres etc even when they are not necessarily required. 

Wont be surprised, every tom ***** and harry are at it now. My local guy where I only go for MOT has started adding things on. His grease monkeys decided my brake light has gone when I am sure it was still working, struggled to take the cluster off then only replaced one, didnt put the cluster back in properly and charged me £10 for one bulb. On my old corolla (still in the family) he charged £20 for one headlight cleaning and say it wont pass mot, after 2 weeks it was same haze but lights normal.

I have a feeling,this will happen to me. Low milage rusty discs have always been a pain.

Yet cars sit on dealers lots immune.

I will avoid engine braking [b mode] to brighten discs up.

On 6/15/2021 at 8:29 PM, Catlover said:

My Toyota dealer takes photographs of anything they deem needs some attention, even if it’s for something in the future (perhaps before next service/mot).

Interesting. Do they take pictures on all customers' cars or only yours?

53 minutes ago, Tigit said:

Interesting. Do they take pictures on all customers' cars or only yours?

I would think it’s a general thing. Even when we have an mot done at the dealership if there is an advisory there are photos of it, not glossy phots, but on the paper with the report.

2 hours ago, loz8 said:

I have a feeling,this will happen to me. Low milage rusty discs have always been a pain.

Yet cars sit on dealers lots immune.

I will avoid engine braking [b mode] to brighten discs up.

To brighten up the brake discs you can also do few long moderate braking in Neutral N and the car will slow down without using regenerative braking and will clean the discs. No need to be aggressive braking just as long as possible going downhill for example. 👍

• 2 weeks later...

I changed my Brake disc and Pads at 70 000 miles.  The pads still has 3mm materials on the inside part and about 5mm on the outside.  I drove in Alps often and after long down hill, I felt slight vibration as the brake is heating up.  Shifting it to B mode, cooldown the pads and vibration is gone.  I think the wear on the disc cause this vibration when it gets really hot.  In city and autobahn braking, I never feel any vibration.   

The rust on the edges of the pads, especially the inner side really makes the pads wear unevenly.  So I bought AISIN pads with GG rating (highest) instead of GF (Brembo, TRW, etc.) for about €23.  The OEM pads from ADVICS cost close to €190 but I think it is European  monopoly price because in USA, exactly the same Advics pad cost  €60.   The Advics rotor/disc cost about €70 but I do not want it and getting it from Zimmermann with Z-coating for €32.  Zimmermann discs are still made in Germany and so far I have no issue with it and it will not corrode because the whole vents and edges are Zink coated. 

20210608_201821.jpg

20210608_212004.jpg

20210608_212016.jpg

20210608_214226.jpg

20210609_180207.jpg

20210609_180247.jpg

20210616_141439.jpg

• Like 1

Someone has put copper grease between hub and disc that caused variation in thickness and this was the reason for the vibrations, you never notice vibrations on hybrid driving in town since most of the braking happens with the e motor. You old disc seems in really bad condition., the pads are looking good though. Good job done ✔️ 

• Like 1

As to prior post,Yes it did happen. No pics,just red urgent action,

Ajob Ive done a couple of times,but as its being serviced,would you say dont do them.

did get extra warranty on Hybrid battery[health check] no paperwork for Relax scheme,only verbal AFTER asking

correction,video was sent by mail to PC,only saw it after car back home. There was a charge for hubs,why? on older Toys job was easy no hubs involved.

On 7/5/2021 at 5:09 PM, loz8 said:

no paperwork for Relax scheme,only verbal AFTER asking

Extract from the Toyota UK magazine on the Relax warranty:

"There are no forms to sign to obtain the warranty cover and the customer does not have to keep or present any policy documents should they need to make a claim. The warranty status of their vehicle is recorded in the details of their vehicle held by the Toyota network and is noted on the service invoice raised by the centre.

This central record means that a vehicle’s warranty will be recognised at any official Toyota centre, should customers move or choose to have their car serviced at a different location.

Following completion of a service where their vehicle qualifies for the Relax warranty, customers will be sent a confirmation email by their centre (subject to them providing an email address for contact)."

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links