Do Not Sell My Personal Information

OBD Fuse Blown

roks

Hi All,

Hope everyone is enjoying hot weather....safely.

I recently installed a dash cam (purely because of scum bag bad parkers), visible marks  on my front and rear. I have hardwired it so its always on but worried that if I dont drive for more than a day it will drain the Battery (although the kit has a cut-off point of 11.6v).

To keep the Battery topped up, today I installed a 10w solar panel 18v 500mA (21v 600mA open circuit), wired a obd connector pin16 +12v and pin4 chassis ground with a cigarette lighter socket on the other end where the solar panel plugs into. It all appeared to be working but when I came to check this afternoon around 4pm, the OBD fuse had blown (7.5A). 

What baffles me is that there is also a glass fuse (cant be more than 5A) in the solar panel plug that did not blow.

Anyone used or had any experience with this solar chargers? Any ideas suggestions?

Thanks.

Does your camera have a setting that it only turns on if it senses some movement, otherwise it would be in sleep mode?

3 hours ago, furtula said:

camera have a setting that it only turns on if it senses some movement

No, its always recording, if there are movements, it locks the file as read only and doesn't overwrite.

I personally would take the glove box out, to get access to firewall, then try to pull the cables through there, and connect directly to the Battery, with additional fuses near the terminals.

The glass fuse should have rating stamped on one of the metal terminals, but you need really good light to read it, as letter are usually tiny.

If there's nothing present, could just be some cheap fuse with not so accurate rating.

33 minutes ago, furtula said:

need really good light to read it

Yes, defo, with my glasses on I cant make out what is is, all I can make out is 250/ then its faded, like its not stamped properly.

35 minutes ago, furtula said:

get access to firewall, then try to pull the cables through there, and connect directly to the battery, with additional fuses near the terminals

I might have to do that, I though obd port was the easy route and avoid any water ingress by not poking through the firewall

I've see an youtube video of similar unit, apparently the glass fuse inside the lighter socket is 15A, thats just crazy and explain why obd fuse went befo4re this one. 

Still doesn't explain why the 7.5A obd fuse blew, the max short circuit current for the solar panel is 0.61A.